Flights

Guest angie & stephen

Guest angie & stephen

Hi everyone.

Angie & stephen Gallagher Here in cold dark Derbyshire.

Could i pick some of your brains please about witch way to get to adelaide flying that is.

We have two options fly from Heathrow to melbourne just stopping to refuel then an 1 hour flight to adelaide. We have two Kidz Niall 5 Yrs And Niamh 8 Yrs.

Or fly from heathrow to singapore have the usual 4 hour stop over and then fly onto adelaide we have thought about having a stop over in singapore for a few days due to the jet lag but from what i have heard it does not help. So would rather just get there.:confused:

I will bow to all you who have already done this journey wisdom.

Cheers

Stephen gallagher doing the night shift all alone...

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Stephen,

I can't say i've done the journey with kids but I would be tempted for the 4 hour stop over in singapore, it's a great airport, with a cinema room, xbox games for the kids, free internet, free giant screen (showing football when we went through), relaxation rooms, and if your really tired from the trip you can buy a hotel room for 2 hours just to rest...

I know airports are quite boring but singapore is the best of a bad bunch !!

Cheers

Rob

Guest dglamoore

We flew with a 4 year old and opted to stay in Singapore for 4 nights to break things up a bit :v_SPIN: It was a fantastic time to chill down and get over all the stresses of the last few weeks in UK before starting again in Adelaide.

Although we have never suffered from jetlag it was good to get adjusted to the time zone too as not much different to Adelaide. Dawn loved it - specially the trip to the zoo so this would be my optiotn were I to do it again :wubclub:

Lisa:biglaugh:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Agree with Lisa, although for us Singapore did not help jet lag , a wonderful place to have a break considering your are passing through anyway. You can also fly Singapore from Manchester saving you a trip to Heathrow.

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Deb's dad comming out the end of November and flying with MAS Malaysian Airlines, which I think involves a couple of hours in Kuala Lumpa and was a bit cheaper than SAL, we used Virgin to SYD but only cause we were flying Standby :confused:

We are here on a reccie right now and flew from Heathrow to Hong Kong and Hong Kong direct to Adelaide with our 3 (10,8 & 3). We had a 5 hour stop over in Hong Kong and I have to say I am quite glad we went pretty much straight through. I'm also glad we left at 10:30pm and then left Hong Kong with the time difference at 11:35pm so much of the flying was at night for the kids both times. Our 3 year old was up for most of the second flight but we managed with in flight entertainment, etc. When we come for good - I would fly straight through but with that 4-5 hour break for the kids to run around (literally!)

Good Luck and remember -even if it's dreadful -it's only 27 hours of your life!!!!

Liz

Guest philnjulie

hi there, we came to adelaide in june, flying with 5 children under 10. we flew manchester to singapore with singapore airlines (fantastic with the kids) stopping off at the transit hotel for 18hrs, seems along time but passed quickly. slept for 5 hrs, shopped till u dropped, freshened up in hotel room, this worked well for us. 6hrs on to adelaide after. advantage of this is that u don't see any of your baggage till u get to other end. julie.

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Yes a very good point from Liz, its one day in your whole life and you soon forget about it and all the airlines that fly direct to ADL have in flight entertainment, free drinks and they encourage you to walk around etc so its made as comfy as possible, I think the worst bit is getting to/through Heathrow.....what a complete s***hole it is and I worked there for 10 years !!!:sad:

PS: Other Liz.....did you see Gina Lolabridgidar in KL?;)

Having done both - I agree - nothing stops jetlag.Personally I'd go for a 4 hour stop over.My kids were really sick the first time.The stopover was a blessing, especially when the kids were playing up!

Guest donna T

We flew SQ and stopped over for 2 nights in Singapore which was a complete blessing.

Felt like crap for the whole thing due to the sobbing but the stay in Singapore helped.

The flight leaves London in the evening and leaves Sngapore for Adelaide at 2300 or thereabouts so the kids (5 and 2) slept most of the way for both flights:wubclub:

Donna x

Guest graandjac

We have just returned from our reccie and looking at selah's times above we did this option with singapore airlines, the airline was 100% fab and looked after all the kids on the flight ,and as for singapore airport well what a place...!!:swoon: There is loads to do free internet ...games console area.....an area where kids were doing some sought of etchings...loads of shops....tv's to watch. Read while we were there that singapore airport has been voted the best airport in the world for the last 20 years, that says it all.

From the jetlag point of view i think you either get it or you dont...we did big time took 3 days to recover.:SLEEP:

Hope this helps Cheers Graham

• 4 weeks later...
Guest angie & stephen

Thanks to everbody who have put there thoughts into this.

It looks like singapore airlines Via Manchester it is then and a stopover in singapore and then onto Adelaide. All my little boy is intrested at the moment is what color the plane will be he is only 5 after all.

cheers

stephen :arghh:

Dear Stephen,

I hope you have better luck than we did. My 3 year old got very upset because he didn't believe he actually was in a plane. How can you when you enter from an inside door and it's dark so you don't see anything on take off and there are no lines in the sky!! He expected to see hundreds of planes flying all round him (bit like Star wars I think) and was really disappointed when we told him we'd quite prefer not to see any other planes. Never mind. It also took him several weeks to believe he was in australia and apparently only when we were acutally at wildlife parks with kangaroos and koala's. The rest of the time he was just at "nanny's house" which isn't Australia.

Have a good flight!

Liz

Guest Libby1971

We came with SAL and had a room at the transit hotel which was great. Clean tidy room, plug to charge the phone, wonderful bath and shower and the privacy to have a decent conversation with the family.

That was the plan...in reality I slept for 4 out of 5 hours that we were at the airport! Bob and the girls were soo excited that they spent all their time shopping and eating in Singapore.

It helped with a long journey but didn't stop us being tired when we got here or being asleep by 4pm on our first day.

Guest chillyanna

i would defo go for the singapore flight direct to adelaide saving you the internal transfer flight. plus the 4 hour stop over would give you a chance to stretch your legs and have a bite to eat in a nice place would be good for you...

good luck

paul