adelaide - english climate

Guest Nomoreengland

Guest Nomoreengland

Hi,

Ive lived in Adelaide now for about 4 moinths and to be honest there is not much difference between Adelaide and england in terms of weather.

For all of you reading this who are choosing to migrate somewhere in Oz I would think twice about adelaide with its weather. Put it this way, in the evening the temperature drops to about 9 or maybe 10 degrees which is hardly warm and the daytime is about 21 degrees most days and we are well into summer now. Its been warm enough maybe 3 times since ive been here to go to the beach and its too cold to have a bbq at night time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest5035

just wait my friend, just wait.............. oh if you didn't know its abit cold back in the UK, don't think in the 19 years i've been here its ever been that cold here.....

stevo

Hi,

Ive lived in Adelaide now for about 4 moinths and to be honest there is not much difference between Adelaide and england in terms of weather.

For all of you reading this who are choosing to migrate somewhere in Oz I would think twice about adelaide with its weather. Put it this way, in the evening the temperature drops to about 9 or maybe 10 degrees which is hardly warm and the daytime is about 21 degrees most days and we are well into summer now. Its been warm enough maybe 3 times since ive been here to go to the beach and its too cold to have a bbq at night time.

Yes, I remember weather like this in Summer 1974/5, not long after I had arrived here, but it warmed up after Christmas. That was just after the Brisbane floods and before Cyclone Tracy. Over the last 35 years, in my experience, there has been a lot of difference between Adelaide and England. I don't remember any snow on the Adelaide Plains, nor 40* heat in England.

Maybe you should stay a little longer before you start giving out advice like that.

I don't think you can judge the weather in 4 short months.

I remember when we first came it was over 40 degrees day in day out. Couldn't do a dam thing. Going in the pool was more like taking a very hot bath.

Summer has been very cold this year..but still a far cry from the uk.

Guest Nomoreengland

I think adelaide has only been 46 degrees once since records began so that just a total exeggaration. Like ive said before, since ive been here its been crap weather and now its summer the temperature in the day hovers around 21 degrees with the occasionl day of 28 once a month which it simular to england. When i migrated here i was told that adelaide has a med climate - no way does it!

Guest The Dimmocks

We are 18 days into Summer, give it chance to warm up. We arrived in early feb this year and it was 37 degrees. Stayed like that for a while. Coming from -5 was a bit of a shock to our systems.

this will be my third summer and believe me its not the norm, first one we had a week where it hit 40 almost every day, we had extra nurses ringing around the patients reminding them to drink and lost a few. most of summer last year was 30+ most days as i recall because its not nice working in it, getting in/out of car all day long. You cannot compare this to the british climate, this is the driest state in the driest continent in the world lol, just my opinion, but ive been here almost 3 yrs now.

oh and dont think you can sit on the beach with factor 8 on lol, wont happen you will fry even when its cloudy, lost count of the amount of patients ive looked after with skin grafts after having cancers removed!!!

Wasn't it 2008 when we had 20 days on the trot with over 40 degrees..think it was in March. Remember the kids coming home with certificates from the government congratulating them (bloody daft way to spend tax payers money!)

I think adelaide has only been 46 degrees once since records began

Its hit 46 both Summers that I've been here. ;)

When i migrated here i was told that adelaide has a med climate - no way does it!

....and it does. Just look at the established plants that grow here. You will find the same plants in the UK grown as annuals as they are killed by the frosts in Autumn. Yet they thrive here even in Winter.

This is an exceptional year. The locals I know say they have never known the like. Come February I wonder if you will still think the same???? :nah:

Guest kangomik

To be fair i have wondered what new arrivals would think of this weather since April. They must think we are all crazy going on about hot weather.

Yes we have had two bouncers so far this spring/summer and thanfully this year all the fruit has stayed on the trees rather than shrivel up in the sun.

All i can say is it's normally hotter than this, like wise i don't remember England being so white and so so cold in all the time i lived there!

I know where i would rather be:jiggy:

Guest Nomoreengland

if you look at the statistics in wikpeadia even during supposedly hot months dec-feb the night time temperature plumits down to 15 degrees- the med stays warm at night

june-sept.

Also, adelaide's hottest day ever was 1939 where it as 46 degrees. I fail therefore to see how u have been in 46 degree heat the last two summers??

Its hit 46 both Summers that I've been here. ;)

....and it does. Just look at the established plants that grow here. You will find the same plants in the UK grown as annuals as they are killed by the frosts in Autumn. Yet they thrive here even in Winter.

This is an exceptional year. The locals I know say they have never known the like. Come February I wonder if you will still think the same???? :nah:

Guest whitfan

to the OP: wait till March. When you've essentially become a hermit because it's too hot for your candle-wax white skin, you'll understand.

Last February or was it March we set the record for 15 days straight with maximums above 38...maybe check your facts before you go on whinging like a pom about things.....

Oh... hang on.

Guest puff the dragon

I agree the weather here is probably not what most people would be expecting when they are planning their migration

Many poms I have spoken too are amazed at how cold it gets

Had I known then, what I know now ,(4 years on) I would definately have gone to another state too

I have only been here just over 12mths and yes this weather seems unseasonable cold compared to last year. It is going to get hot and silly hot it will just need the wind to change direction.

It seems like the winter is a couple of months behind this time last year it was a lot warmer.

the weather is always a hot topic and it has even got the aussie's complaining so let just leave it at that.

It is what it is...

We are in a La Nina weather pattern this year ........ it will be cooler and wetter than the last few years of El Nino (dry, hot, drought) ................ perfectly normal, comes round every few years or so, and thank goodness for that otherwise this country would be in a permanent drought. When you've been here as long as I have you'll get used to the varying weather patterns.

Guest moonraker1959

Did you research this before you decided to move to Adelaide?I was only tellling OH this morning how sometimes at Xmas in Adelaide,it was cool enough to wear a cardigan!Its obviously not scorching every day,and its unrealistic to expect it to be.I've experienced 47c and believe you me,it aint pretty!

Guest guest3462

Well I have lived here for 2 years and experienced long hot summers the likes of which I never saw in the UK, Greece or Cyprus or Spain. We have just returned from a trip to the UK where the average daily temp for the entire hliday was -10c!!! Now i'll be the first to admit that I think Adelaide is cold in winter but I will argue anyone down that the temps have ever been to such extremes hot or cold on both continents!

As for recommending another state, what difference do you really think it will make to your life. You will only find something else to grumble about like you do and have about everything else to do with Australia. If you don't like the place then hop on a plane and go back to the snow!!!