UK Beds or Ozzie Beds???????

Guest fatman

:idea:

Wonder if anyone could advise us here.... We are thinking of changing our daughters bed BEFORE we move over to Adelaide, we can purchase a nice "three quarter" bed here in uk/internet for under £200 (approx $300). We have heard beds are expensive out there?

Any advise appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Graham & Janis Price (Scotland in the snow!!!!)

Guest ReadyPenny

Beds are not too bad , it's decent mattresses that cost a fortune!!! If buying in the UK bring the bedding too because I find that very expensive too!!! You can buy it cheap in some places but it only lasts five minutes

Guest guest3462

Also regarding the bedding, the sizes here in oz are totally different to the uk so Aussie bedding will not fit a uk bed!!! We seriously consdered getting beds in the uk on our recent trip back but it's really not worth it by the time you have paid to ship it over Then waited months for it to arrive you might as well have just bought a new bed here IMO.

I haven't noticed any sizing problem with bedding... But in general when we were shopping for "first big bed" for our boys, the people in the shop (and friends) said don't bother with 3/4 or child sized single beds, just go straight for the single size. Cos you of course have to spend more on special sized bedlinen (always more expensive with the "baby and toddler" tax shops like to impose on new / starting out parents!!). That was in the UK btw.

Totally agree bedding more expensive (and lesser quality) here... so make sure you stock up on john lewis duvet covers and lovely cotton sheets for the next few years!!

I thought IKEA had a reputation for having their own weird sized beds and bedlinen but I bought a double duvet set in the bargain bay here in Adelaide recently (was just for cutting up for sewing!) and for some reason it was perfect for my English double bed (now in the guest room...). So have IKEA changed their sizes now? Or was that a fluke????!

Thank you for taking time to reply, we have so many other questions about all sorts, so we are asking different questions diff days!

Regards the beds/bedding etc, we thought the situation but be more or less what we have been advised.

We are prob going to take our King size bed over to use in guest room as we are planning to but two double beds to push together and make a feature with headboard (like u see in Europe often), this way you get a decent sleep, hubby can use less bedding (and you can still have a cuddle :D ha ha)

As for bedding, there's a shop over here called TK MAX, they sell lots of seconds, great quality, half the price. Hotel quality bedding, Egyptian cotton etc, I will prob stock up on bedding & towels, as I have loads of their bedding/towels and they last years!

Thanks again,

Hope you have a great New year!

Graham & Janis Price (in Snowy Scotland) :):)

Guest adelaidegirl

Just going back to the subject of beds being a different size here, here's a chart from Forty Winks. I'm told a UK King is the same as an Australian Queen. You be the judge.

Single Bed

92 cm x 187 cm3'0" x 6'2" Single Extra Long 92 cm x 203 cm3'0" x 6'8"King Single 106 cm x 203 cm3'6" x 6'8" Double Size 137 cm x 187 cm4'6" x 6'2" Queen Size153 cm x 203 cm5'0" x 6'8" King Size 183 cm x 203 cm6'0" x 6'8"

Thank you for giving us measurements of Ozzie beds, we have just measured our UK King and it measures 157cm X 206cm approx (5.2ft X 6.8ft).... looks like your Ozzie Single King is what we call our "Three quarter bed" over here.......... very helpful info, thanks again!

Graham & Janis (Scotland UK... in the Snow!!)

Guest garlic--bread
Just going back to the subject of beds being a different size here, here's a chart from Forty Winks. I'm told a UK King is the same as an Australian Queen. You be the judge.

Single Bed

92 cm x 187 cm3'0" x 6'2" Single Extra Long 92 cm x 203 cm3'0" x 6'8"King Single 106 cm x 203 cm3'6" x 6'8" Double Size 137 cm x 187 cm4'6" x 6'2" Queen Size153 cm x 203 cm5'0" x 6'8" King Size 183 cm x 203 cm6'0" x 6'8"

that is a really useful post adelaidegirl, thanks :)

Good idea TK Maxx if you can stand it!!! Dunelm always good too... BUt just be warned about buying stuff new to bring - you do have to declare on the customs form for your shipping what goods you have bought brand new in the past 12 mths (I think it's 12). We were honest on ours (had bought bits and bobs but it did add up, I wasn't trying to set up in business for anything!!!!) and they said nothing. I think mine was stuff like bedlinen etc. So ask for the form from your shipping company- and they may know what the limits are on what you can bring in.

The limits on having things posted to you as gifts aren't half as bad as what they used to be, I got stung years ago sending some bridesmaid dresses to my inlaws here, had to pay tax for them to get them... as gifts!!!! But they've taken that restriction off, and its much more generous. I've never had to pay tax yet on an M&S order or anything though I know people who've had to pay tax in the UK when they've ordered goods from Australia.... so its all a bit of a mystery but check it out and decide how bothered you are about it before you go mad shopping...

• 2 weeks later...