Mount Gambier......fun starts here!

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Happy New Year everyone!

Ok, just realised I haven't got long before I need to get my bum in gear with the job. After the current Fisheries Officer's 14 day resignation cooling off period expires it will only leave me with two weeks from job offer to them wanting me to start! I've got to sort out a house there, school, removals, travel, work out how to tow my boat 450km etc. And I've also got to break my lease here.

Gonna be a busy time.

I've only been told that the job is in 'Mount Gambier', from what I can see though that's 25km inland - bit of an odd location for Fisheries so it may well be just the area and the actual location is more coastal - not easy to house hunt then!

What do you all think of Mount Gambier? Especially in terms of schools, lifestyle etc? I haven't got a clue and we'll have to take a trip down there assuming the job is confirmed.

Lisa is starting to realise it's not as warm down there too, she's not best pleased! She could stay here with the kids I suppose, there's always skype :biglaugh:

Damien

Guest Guest75
Happy New Year everyone!

Ok, just realised I haven't got long before I need to get my bum in gear with the job. After l, work out how to tow my boat 450km etc.

Fastening the trailer to the towbar helps!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Make sure your tyres are good and you have a spare.:cute:

Guest motlyman
Happy New Year everyone!

Ok, just realised I haven't got long before I need to get my bum in gear with the job. After the current Fisheries Officer's 14 day resignation cooling off period expires it will only leave me with two weeks from job offer to them wanting me to start! I've got to sort out a house there, school, removals, travel, work out how to tow my boat 450km etc. And I've also got to break my lease here.

Gonna be a busy time.

I've only been told that the job is in 'Mount Gambier', from what I can see though that's 25km inland - bit of an odd location for Fisheries so it may well be just the area and the actual location is more coastal - not easy to house hunt then!

What do you all think of Mount Gambier? Especially in terms of schools, lifestyle etc? I haven't got a clue and we'll have to take a trip down there assuming the job is confirmed.

Lisa is starting to realise it's not as warm down there too, she's not best pleased! She could stay here with the kids I suppose, there's always skype :biglaugh:

Damien

Oh quit whining, its a long weekend, you'll be done by Tuesday:biglaugh:

Seriously though, good luck with it all hope it works out for you.:notworthy:

A big step but worth following your dream, after all, is'nt that why we all came here?

Colin

Guest kangomik

It's very green down there mate, lots of money down that way too, millicent is a little further north and may have cheaper housing, but it's a lot smaller.

The people are friendly and as i was told by one member of staff " we even have a Harvey Norman's"

It is cooler.

It's close to vic so i don't know what housing opportunity's are just over the border.

The sea is a few K's away to the port but that should be an easy drive.

"The Barn" is worth a steak or two on special occasions, remember to book.

Don't forget the grease on the boat trailer hubs, give them a grease go for a whizz around the block and grease them again.

Good luck, have fun.

Guest Damien

The trailer's only a year old so should be good. The hubs look fine.

Anyway, first priority dealt with!

This is my ultimate job so it's gonna be worth the sacrifices we will all have to make. Taking the kids out of school - again! Leaving all the great friends we have here but you can't go through life without taking the odd little gamble...

There's a little Thai restaurant in Commercial Rd East. Painted bright green and located on a corner. Worth moving to Mt Gambier for that reason alone. Blue Parrot, Blue Banana, Banana Leaf - something like that.

Been there 3 times through work now and reckon it's a nice place. Has everything you need.

Flanagans on a Saturday night is worth a look as well.

Mount Gambier would be our next choice of destination outside of Adelaide - we visit 3/4 times a year. As said there is plenty of variety of shops and restuarants and plenty to see and do. The only school I know of is Tenison Woods College - not sure what years they have though - definately senior!

Best of luck with the move!

Congratulations Mt Gambier is quite nice and green and definitely cooler than Adelaide. Glenelg River is not far from there and has good fishing. Good friends of mine have a shack there and often go fishing on their breaks with the kids. They are both primary school teachers and used to lived there for a long time but moved to Adelaide about 10 years ago. There are at least two public Primary schools there, not sure about High Schools tho.

Guest moonraker1959

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Mount Gambier.Its a very nice place,and half way between Adelaide and Melbourne.Good luck with the job,sounds fab!x

Hubby has some family down there and his first words when I mentioned Mt Gambier was 'it's country but nice'. :P He likes it and always enjoys visiting his family down there. Just says its very different from Adelaide area and while a decent sized town, far from city life Adelaide style.

Like many Aussies he thinks nothing of a 4-5 hour drive to go visit family for a day and the distance doesn't seem to concern the family who live there or in Adelaide. All commute back and forth to visit family throughout the year.

wow, that happened quickly!!!

good on you to follow your dream - and on lisa to support you!!!

seems like a nice spot you'll go to and not too far for a camping trip or two ;)

good luck!!!

Congratulations on the job and all the best for the move. We are just back from a week camping down that way, and yes - it is about ten degrees cooler than in Adelaide, but is a really nice area, with fantastic beaches and fishing. Keep popping in to the site and updating us with what's happening - it will be really good to have a viewpoint of SA other than from Adelaide.

Best of luck Damien and Lisa!

You sure do get to move around...it was only the other day that you were living on a house boat!

Are you sure that you are taking the boat with you? Our garden is still quite big!

Seriously...if you have any spare time I might have some building work down here...give me a call.

Tamara

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

Hi we have just been on holiday to mt gambo over xmas, was great, plenty to do, people seem friendly enough the port (macdonnell) is about 15 mins drive away, cant comment on schools etc, definatly cooler down there, take the coorong rd and stop at kingston and see the big lobster lol. and defo grease your trailer hubs, your trailer may only be a year old but how many times has it been submerged in the sea?? salt water is the most accelerated oxidiser and can corrode stainless hubs easily in 12 mths, and dont forget if they are tapered roller bearings dont over tighten them or they will shear off the entire stub axle!!!! good luck with the move and hope you and the family settle quickly and enjoy your dream job.

Dave.