STOP Unwanted Phone Calls

If you find that you are receiving a lot of unwanted phone calls from people trying to sell you everything from phone contracts, roller shutters, roof restoration etc you can register your number on the following site:

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

No more phone calls at tea time from call centres in New Delhi!!!:biglaugh:

Tamara

Brilliant!!! Have just done it.

Have tried different things with these people. Don't you love it when there's a gap, you know its an international call, and they say "Good day to you from Australia"....!!!

I had one tonight telling me my computer was downloading dangerous files. They pretend to be somehow in the know about your computer, and I told him "you don't know anything about my computer and I won't be giving you any information either" before I said goodbye...

I've tried different things with these people... but recently just asking an innocent question clarifying something (like when it appears to be related to your utility bill or something, so I might ask them something just to clarify, not to be difficult... and they hang up on me. I have had three hang up on me in the last few weeks. Obviously wasn't that critical or important!!!!

But I have to say, I did have one very proactive call from NAB when they rang to say our credit card had been used for online fraud... they not only spotted it, but they put a stop on the transactions and rang us to tell us, bona fide. So it's worth asking a few questions before you either put the phone down or give them any info. If they are asking you for info, they should have it, and that's a giveaway...

If you find that you are receiving a lot of unwanted phone calls from people trying to sell you everything from phone contracts, roller shutters, roof restoration etc you can register your number on the following site:

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

No more phone calls at tea time from call centres in New Delhi!!!:biglaugh:

Tamara

Thanks, we'll do this.

Think I will miss them a little though. Great when the say they are phoning from Australia but it comes up as an overseas call. One tried telling us that's because the exchanges get busy so the reroute them:goofy: Tried saying he was in Melbourne but couldn't name the suburb he live in.

Cooler

Brilliant!!! Have just done it...

Have tried different things with these people. Don't you love it when there's a gap, you know its an international call, and they say "Good day to you from Australia"....!!!

I had one tonight telling me my computer was downloading dangerous files. They pretend to be somehow in the know about your computer, and I told him "you don't know anything about my computer and I won't be giving you any information either" before I said goodbye...

Donotcall is a very useful service but it doesn't deter scam callers like this - lying in order to gain access to your personal info is aleady illegal, but that doesn't stop them so a register like this certainly doesn't!

Jim

That's true, hadn't put them in the category of real scam callers, I am getting the impression that they are just using a clever sales tactic but as I haven't got into a big long conversation with them I haven't identified whether they are just underhand or actually potentially criminal.

That's true, hadn't put them in the category of real scam callers, I am getting the impression that they are just using a clever sales tactic but as I haven't got into a big long conversation with them I haven't identified whether they are just underhand or actually potentially criminal.

It's likely to be a variation of a scam that's very common at the moment, similar to this:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/18836-warning-btc.html

Jim

• 4 years later...

I never get these calls. I'm not sure if it's because I don't have a landline?

I did have an unexpected call from centerlink a couple of weeks ago. The guy sounded most confused when he told me I had to answer some security questions, and I said 'how about you answer some from me? You've called me on a withheld number. You could be anyone'. 'I can't talk to you if you don't answer the security questions'. Ohhhh no lol. I've had Vodafone do the same.