When is the best time of year to visit?

Guest The Waite Family

Guest The Waite Family

Now we have at last got our visas (after waiting forever) we need to validate before 3rd November 2011. We can't afford to move at the moment due to house prices and the state of the pound etc so we are going to have to come for a holiday :biglaugh:

I was wondering when the best time of year to visit? Hubby was thinking April/May (will it be cold?)

Obviously its Summertime now and no doubt very hot does it get cold at all?

Will also need accomodation if anyone knows of any good deals?

I would say beginning of april, the colder weather is starting to begin, however its certainly not cold. i found it strange when i was last there, walking about in temperatures like 22 and being able to wear a jumper without sweating, yet still able to walk about in my bikini without feling the cold

deffo beginning of april xx

Guest moonraker1959

Yep I'd agree,April/May time would be good.Visiting in winter might be abit depressing,and yes it gets cold!(Airfares are cheaper for that reason as you may of noticed!)Either then or wait until Spring time,thats also a good time to visit,can be nice weather and it'll be comfortable to get around in too!Have a great time!x

Guest manc01

March is a great month with lots on such as the Fringe Festival, the Clipsal Car racing & I think the Tour Down Under cycling event. The weather is still warm & there is a lot to do here.

Hi, we validated our visa's in September last year. In all it cost us around £7000 with flights, accomodation, car hire etc. To be honest (this is only our opinion) we should have gone for it there and then. Even though it was cool and the wettest winter for some time, we should have done the big move. Ok, exchange rate isn't brill but when will it get better? How long will it take to get back up to $2+ for the pound. It is handy to do a reccie but once you are there you dont want to come back. That £7000 we spent could have done the whole move and more for us. The only advantage we had was we had sold our house. Now renting in snowy yorkshire instead of being in the sun:shocked:. Oh well thats my blah over with, this is just my opinion on what we did your circumstances may be different to ours.

Andrew.

Roll on May 1st!!

Guest chazmaestro

Our first visit to Australia (NSW and South Australia) was way back in 2001. Then the £ was worth A$2.51. What a difference!! We have always visited for the Xmas/NewYear period from about 9 December to 6 January but we like it hot. March/April should be OK for most families with young children.

March is a great month with lots on such as the Fringe Festival, the Clipsal Car racing & I think the Tour Down Under cycling event. The weather is still warm & there is a lot to do here.

Tour Down Under starts in just over a week's time! We shall be there for some of it as we leave for our hols on Tuesday!

Yes I was thinking similarly to Tyke really- if you are planning on moving here I would make the holiday visit timing decision purely on flight prices. Get a good offer on flights and go then... because sooner or later you will be here all year round, so you may as well see it as it is whenever you get here...

Guest kangomik

Thats a good time of year to come, your comming out of your winter (oops i meant spiring) and it should be in the 20's so it will feel warm even if you do see people walking around in coats.

Tour down under this month

Fringe starts end of feb (3 weeks i think)

Clipsall mid to end of march.

Footy season will have started

The beaches are still open, and the wine places and animal places.

All the roads are open

Everyone is at work.

Sometimes the Whales are around in May down Victor Harbour way.

We didn't do a recce, the price is high but if you have to validate then it is a good time to come.

Guest The Waite Family

The beaces are still open? Why do they close or something? :o

The roads will be open? Is there something I should know? lol

Any advice on best airlines would be appreciated also. Son wants to fly with Emirates (Arsenal Fan) but they are looking to be very expensive :(

Singapore Airlines, Malaysian, or Cathay I reckon. The flight is long enough without several stops. The above airlines tend to do a One-Stop route on the way out (I think Cathay still touches down additionally at Melbourne on the way back though) - Whichever has the best deal at the time. Depends whether you are on a tight budget as well - accommodation will be a lot harder to find, and consequently more expensive, during the Festival Season of Feb/March. March can be baking hot as well, but the sea has had a chance to warm up a bit. This year isn't too bad, but after a normal Aussie summer, everything in March tends to look brown and dusty - not the most attractive time. But then you have Easter and the flights go up....

Also depends on whether you are making it a holiday as well as a recce... you probably won't want to swim in the sea in April/May time, but the scenery in the hills is beautiful that time of year (autumnal, think September/October in France)

Alternatively I reckon October is a lovely time - Spring, so still fairly green, temps in the low 20s during the day but cooler in the evenings.

Guest kangomik

If your flying from manchester then i think Singapore airlines now stop in holland on the way over, it all adds to the time factor

Relies flew BA and Quantas as the fastest way of getting to ADL.

But do you want to get here the quick way?

You could use the trip to stop off in a few places, and see the world.

:biglaugh:Don't worry about the beaches and roads, they only close the roads when theres a shark about and the beaches when there's a mains water burst:cute:

Oopps:goofy:

We went over for Easter last year. So March into April. I'd say that is a good time to go as once into April it gets cooler and May is cooler still (into winter pretty much). March-April we had days ranging from 32C down to 24C. And a couple of days with rain but staying warm. Other than that it was pretty much blue skies and sunshine.

I'd look to going March-April and getting the better weather.

Or look to going in September-October. Spring weather then usually :) Although generally warmer than our spring days in the UK of course. I remember it being around 24C during a spring visit one year. Sometimes a bit cooler but I spent most of that trip wearing single layers and only needing a jacket/sweater in the evenings for the most part.

BA and Qantas are the quickest direct flights. TBH I weigh up the savings made with stopovers in Europe (and often flight changes there also) and usually opt for the extra cost and shorter travel time. It often doesn't save much to take the longer routes and just makes for a more knackering experience.

I'd look to flying BA or Qantas, night flight from Heathrow. This is the best time to depart for your body clock as you board around 9-10pm, fly through the night so can get some sleep and then have a changeover in Singapore and then hop back on a plane to Adelaide.

If you have a refuel stop only you'll probably find those flights go on to Sydney or Melbourne and you'll have to change flights there and get another plane to Adelaide. Having an actual changeover of flights in Singapore is great as you get a few hours on the ground, can relax (Changi airport has great facilities to pass a few hours in) and then get a direct flight to Adelaide.

If you plan it right, a nightflight (9-10pm) from Heathrow, change in Singapore, a few hours on the ground and fly out of there around 10pm their time and then direct to Adelaide you'll land around 7am and hit the ground running :) It works well for sleep times and jet lag we find. And easier with kids as Changi airport has good facilities for kids.

Guest rachinadelaide

March is my favourite time of year. Lots going on and weather is usually fab.

My parents come out for a visit every year (usually in March!) and have flown with most of the big airlines. They favour Cathay Pacific because of the service, food and the 'shell' seats that mean no-one reclines into your lap during the flight.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Waite Family

Oh My Goodness! Am well excited :biglaugh:

Hubby booked our flights today and we arrive in Adelaide at 8.30 am on 25th April Woohooo!!!! Staying for 16 days and hopefully deciding to come straight back as soon as we get home :D

Ooo exciting. Weather should still be good around then. Last year we were just leaving after a month over there. It'd cooled to mid 20's and the last couple of days low 20's by then.

I'm so envious. I'm really missing Adelaide and family and wish we could be going back for a visit this year. But some of the family are coming to spend the summer here, so a fair chunk of June, July and August hopefully booked up which will help.

I am sure you've a long list of places to go see and things to do. Be sure to check out the Botanic gardens, museum and library when near the city. I loved the library design, glass, between all the old buildings. And inside, upstairs were some great bits and pieces. Also they used to have a HUGE binary rug in the entrance. Have included some pics below :)

In order they are the view from outside the library, binary rug that used to be inside (hubby is a maths geek so had to read it all), the view looking out and last one is the Adelaide Uni library. If you can sneek in its worth a peek. I was lucky as hubby was at uni during my time there in 2004 and so got to spend an afternoon browsing and taking pics from the back row :cute:

I think the museum is well worth a visit and browsing all the rooms. The aboriginal artwork is amazing (sheer scale of some of it) and so much more. And the botanical gardens are gorgeous.

O sigh, you are going to have such a great trip, even if you decide for whatever reason Adelaide isn't quite the place for you (though am hoping it is).

Enjoy :)