UK mobiles and bills

Guest pompep

Hello there- just after a wee bit more advice from those who've been there, done that, and so on.

We're back to the UK in about seven weeks and my mind's turning to improving my credit history on our return. We've been away 3 years but fortunately left open UK bank accounts and credit cards, which I hope is a good start. However, we'll have to find a rental after we arrive.

1. For a mobile phone, I'm assuming I won't be able to walk into Carphone Warehouse and sign up a contract phone right away. If that's the case, can I even obtain a Pay as You Go phone without a permanent UK address?

2. Is there any value in keeping some Australian mobile phone bills, or utlility bills of any kind - if so, how far back should I go? I was going to put the lot into the shipping container, but wondered if anyone wanted proof of address in Australia, when setting up to new utilities, or whatever.

For the record, I've had quotes for a shared shipping container from Crown, Pickfords, Grace and Wridgways removalists. For aprox 9 cubic square metres, from Adelaide to London, the quotes range from $2700 to $3400 plus insurance. They all seemed equally helpful and polite. There are plenty of recommendations on this site, but if anyone's had a recent move with these firms and had a good experience, I'd love to know.

All the best!:goofy:

Guest guest3462

You can buy pay as you go mobile phones with sim cards in asda and tesco!!! We were so surprised at how easy it was to obtain a phone there, you don't even need ID, you just pop it in you shopping trolley with everything else lol!

With regards to utility bills, I think you should be ok without the references. It will be like you are a first time buyer/ renter and you should just be able to choose your company and go, especially as you already have established UK bank accounts. If they do ask for addresses, it might be useful to give them your old UK address as a reference.

I think that it is a lot harder to set up home in Australia than it was in the UK, you seem to need a formal ID to pee here! lol!

Wishing you all the very best of luck in your return to the motherland!

Julia x

Guest Mitchell

As far as bills and things are concerned have you thought of scanning everything? I did loads of stuff at work before I came over then copied to an external hard drive as back up.

Thanks Julia... when we got a PAYG phone in Adelaide we had to provide so much ID and info... would be great just to pick one up without providing your inside leg measurements!

As far as bills and things are concerned have you thought of scanning everything? I did loads of stuff at work before I came over then copied to an external hard drive as back up.

Blimey - that's why I love this site - hadn't even thought of scanning! :jiggy:

Most places want proof of address dating back as far as 5 years these days. So ensure you have utility bills, bank statements etc to back this up. Also if you've been renting via an agent see if you can get a letter from them backing up your Australian address (on their headed paper of course). Always helps.

Pay as you go you just buy off the shelf in any store that sells them.

Contract phones should also be ok if you've a bank account and so on in the UK still as that has remained valid the entire time you've been overseas. They debit your account so so long as that is a go it should be fine. As to wanting your address, your current one where you are staying in the UK should be ok. They'll want a billing address. If its not ok having just returned then just opt for PAYG for a while.

Guest kangomik

Agree with snifter regarding bank account and getting a phone.

Re-pay as you go, you may not need details to purchase a phone, but you will when you activate the card. Who or if anyone ever checks this addy out is beyond me, but i know you have to give details.......... terrorism thingy majig