Wanted down under

Bevev's

well done and best of luck on your new journey, we as a family of five in n ireland awaiting case officer from april 2010 to get visa for s aus. after watching wanted downunder a few times im getting worried a bit about cost of living there as every body on the show thinks it more expensive than uk though my friend whom is there this 20 years told me that he finds uk very expensive when back visiting.Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Guest dunnarunna

hi donna

i watched your program the other day for some reason it was on the iplayer before it had been on the telly, and i wondered if that was you when i saw your post to say you was coming out very soon, glad your daughter changed her mind, my daughter didnt really want to come she was 15 at the time, but she loves it here now, shes almost 18, so if rhian wants someone to talk to give her a shout, safe journey over and hope you settle quickly

donna

Hi Bosco,

We went to Adelaide last Feb/March on the programme and in our experience, yes when we were there we found everyday things like food expensive. For example we went to supermarket and bought what we thought was about £30's worth of groceries, and it turned out to be more than double that. But..... you must remember when your earning the Australian dollar, that's what your spending and not the pound, and you can earn a lot more dollars than pounds! (well in my job anyway). Our friends who live there told us they don't try and convert anymore, they live within their wages and do just fine. There is so much outside activities that don't cost especially for children, parks, bmx skate parks, beaches, you'll love it. Good luck with your plans.

Bev, Mart and Alex

PS... surely got to be no more expensive than Ireland at the moment.

Guest dunnarunna

and to bosco its very swings and roundabouts really on the costs somethings are higher groceries, toiletries especially, but somethings are cheaper, rates especially. you do have to pay for a few things here that you dont in uk like school fees, but there are also alot of things that are free to do, like a day at the beach in the lovely weather. i think we are better off here but ive never added it all up as after almost 3 years here i dont know how much stuff has gone up in the uk, but we feel alot better off.

Hi Donna,

Well done you lot!! Glad Rhian's coming, although I don't think you would have gone without her. So fill me in, what's your plans. Have you got a job lined up, where you staying. I'd love to keep in touch with you, being in general practice as well. Have you decided where you'd like to settle yet. Be great if i could pick your brains (if you get any time) about your visa process and nursing verification bits.

Our shows going out on 9th Feb, they postponed it due to the Brisbane disaster. We are like you, very close family, that is the only thing holding me back. How are you coping at the moment with the thought of leaving? I'm so pleased for you all. Please keep in touch xxxx

Guest jason&Vicki
Thanks for that. We were more than a bit concerned about seeing it!

We actually leave on Wednesday for good, Rhian included. So its new start and hoping all goes well.

When is yours being shown?

Donna

Thats great News,I was watching you all and even cried with you all. We are hoping to head out in a few weeks from Ireland with two teenagers.

Good luck

Vic

Hi Donna,

All the best!

It's great that Rhian has made the decision to move with you as he was so undecided when I chatted to you at the cottage.

My daughter is still here and living in her own house in Port Noarlunga...and she was the undecided one! (would only come here with a return ticket!)

Take care

Tamara

There are only a few episodes up at a time and this one was there for a day or so then gone. Hopefully it will be back soon.

salvadordillon, have a look on this forum somewhere and there is a link to a site that will enable you to view iPlayer stuff from Oz (for a small fee). Many on here are using it.

Hi guys,

They've changed all the series around due to the Brisbane floods. This week now they are showing a week, maybe two, of 'revisited'. Our programme should have been aired tomorrow (26th) but now its on Feb 9th. So I suppose BBC iplayer only shows so far in advance.

Wish i was in Adelaide...................

Bev

Hey Guys

last year we bumped into a lovely Welsh couple who had a young son.

They were being filmed for wanted down under.

they were staying at the New port quay, this is where we live too.

We happened to bump into them in the Exeter pub.

I just wanted to know if they decided to emigrate as I dont seem to be able to watch the programs over here.

Any news would be great thank you

Laura x

Hi Laura,

We are the Welsh family !!! Yes I remember it as if it was yesterday. Well we are still here in freezing Wales, got the decision hanging over our heads, but we've got to make it before long as time is going on now. I think of you and your husband often, especially when I think of how on earth I'm going to leave my mum and dad. I remember you telling us that you got a very close family too with lots of siblings and although the decision was really hard for you, at that time you felt it was the right move. Do you still feel like that? Are you still hairdressing? I'd love too keep in touch.

Bev, Martyn and Alex xx

Hi all

Just a quick post to let you know we have arrived safely...to some vey hot weather.lol

Is a bit hectic at the mo trying to do the usual things etc. Busy looking at rentals and the million and one other things there is to do, so havent really been on PIA much in the last week.

Will try and catch up and get in touch with you Beves re your questions.

Donna

Guest loublack

Hi Bev!.... i think you guys may be the family we met on Moana beach last Feb...you had just finished filming WDU (we've been watching this series waiting for your programme to air :) ) we're the family with four kids that were staying in semaphore.

We're still in the uk but we've taken the plunge and are leaving in Sept for Australia :D yippee!! very excited but quite nervous at the same time!

Lou, Rob (alfie, martha, jim and george) x

Hi Lou,

Yes that's right,fab to hear from you!! It was only this week that Martyn was saying how Rob advised us on the beach to keep on with our plans when we get home, as its so easy to just fall back into old routines and god he's so right. We are at stage where we got to make a decision either a way (i'm 45 this year!!). I feel if we don't try it we will regret it forever!! So, what about you lot?/ that's brilliant your off in September. Have you planned where your heading? Did you see any areas that you can see yourselves. Alex, our son, is not happy to go, they don't understand the benefits at their age do they. I think it makes it worse for him that he's the only child, so it would be really important for him to start off in the right place, to minimize unnecessary disruption. I think there's a lot of children around seaford areas, so once we'v applied for visas, that will be the next big thing for us - choosing an area. Anyway, enough from me, fill me in on your plans. Hope your all okay, Bev xx

P.s lovely to hear from you xx

Guest loublack

hiya :)

you should definitely apply for your visa! i know the points test is changing in July isn't it, so don't know if that would affect your application?

Altho we stayed in Semaphore when we were out there, we really loved the areas around Port Noarlunga down to Moana, so when we go in Sept we're going to book some short term furnished acc in Port Noarlunga and go from there...try to find a long term rental, buy a car, find some schools, etc!! eeek!

We've had all emotions from the kids, excitement, tears, tantrums, hapiness, i just keep reminding them how much we all loved it when we were there and we keep looking at the photos from our trip! hopefully by the time we go they'll be looking forward to it as much as us :)

you know, i like my life here in the uk, i love the town where we live, i have some great friends, the kids school is ok...but i really do believe that Australia offers the kids a better future, so before they get much older (alf is the eldest and will be 11 this year) we decided to go and stop waiting for 'the perfect' moment, or for the exchange rate to improve!

we've got some removal/shipping firms coming to give us quotes this week, we have absolutely no idea on cost so fingers crossed i won't be too shocked...hahaha :)

Lou x

Yes, Alfie is the same age as Alex, he'll be 11 in a few weeks. Yes, they are the areas we liked too, although Moana i think was too quiet for Alex to make friends, although it was my favourite place. When will the kids start school, Is there a term starting in September? Yes, after yesterday's WDU, i'll feel re-inspired to apply!! It was really positive - Then i think of leaving my parents and get really confused!!!! I'm off work at the moment cos i've broke my leg, so now is an ideal time to apply really while i've got time on my hands. Did you do the visa application yourselves, the agents are so expensive now, i may try it myself and see how I get on. If you don't mind Lou, will you pass on any advice you think may be helpful to us as you go through this next 8 months or so please, all help/advice gratefully received!!! Be good to know how much for shipping, may be cheaper to buy new when you get there??!! Here's my e-mail bevevans7@aol.com. Keep in touch, you never knw we may bump into each other on Moana again!!

Hi Laura' date='

We are the Welsh family !!! Yes I remember it as if it was yesterday. Well we are still here in freezing Wales, got the decision hanging over our heads, but we've got to make it before long as time is going on now. I think of you and your husband often, especially when I think of how on earth I'm going to leave my mum and dad. I remember you telling us that you got a very close family too with lots of siblings and although the decision was really hard for you, at that time you felt it was the right move. Do you still feel like that? Are you still hairdressing? I'd love too keep in touch.

Bev, Martyn and Alex xx[/quote']

Oh Wow,

Im glad you saw my post. Whenever we have a quick drink in the Exeter we have a thought about you all.

Well we are still in the Newport and still loving it, probably more than ever to be honest with you.

my sister came to stay for a while and although i was sad to see her return, my home is here and I fill with dread at the thought of living back in the UK.

We are still hairdressing, my kids are all at school now, my Jazmines first day ever was on Monday. They all love it there, couldnt wait to get back into their routines.

Life is so much easier here once you relax and settle in.

Was it the right move????

Of course In the beginning it was tough and I mean really tough, finding jobs, the correct school, meeting friends and being excepted into a new way of life was difficult.

was it the right move????

YES, and I will look forwards to becoming an Aussie cit this year.

We love it through the summer, after school the kids kick their shoes off get into their bathers down the beach for a paddle and a paddle pop ice lollie.

we stay there until tea time home shower bed. glass of wine, lol.

Hope you feel this is helpful and would be lovely to keep in touch, it makes it that much easier if you emigrate and have made lots of friends everywhere.

Take care Laura xx:D