Thoughts for Queeensland..............

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Spare a thought for those in Queensland today as the massive hurricane Yasi hits Cairns and surrounds today.

Category 5,the highest you can get.

Many,many people are having to stay at their homes as they could not get out.

Special thoughts for Rob and Kate.

QLD has suffered enough already.

See it coming in here...........

Queensland weather radar loop and lightning tracker

Guest The Dimmocks

Got friends in Townsville, he said all airports from Mackey up are shut, they waiting till tomorrow to see whether they gonna leave or not.

Keep safe everyone

Guest Nicky&Andy

i know, weve been following it on tv, pretty scary stuff, have they ever had similar in south australia ?, here was me worring where our next dollor will come from, puts a real perspective on things, also, how we get on with life even though others are still getting over the floods.

Guest Guest5035

It'll all blow over in 36 hours and they'll do the same as they have always done, pick up the pieces and carry on, its not the first, nor the last. Yes its looking like the biggest for the last 30 years, but me thinks everyone is making out its the worst, they are just covering their backsides so people can't say, we weren't told.

stevo

It'll all blow over in 36 hours and they'll do the same as they have always done, pick up the pieces and carry on, its not the first, nor the last. Yes its looking like the biggest for the last 30 years, but me thinks everyone is making out its the worst, they are just covering their backsides so people can't say, we weren't told.

stevo

Let's hope you're right.

They have just said on the tv the cyclone has destroyed the early warning weather station on Willus island. It was built to withstand level 5 cyclones!!!! Pretty scarey thought.

Guest Guest5035
Let's hope you're right.

They have just said on the tv the cyclone has destroyed the early warning weather station on Willus island. It was built to withstand level 5 cyclones!!!! Pretty scarey thought.

sailed past the weather station a couple of years ago, its in the middle of nowhere, around 9 metres above sea level, flat as a pancake. and about as big as one. the guys who are stationed there have a bunker to live through these things.

stevo

Guest moonraker1959

Truly feel for the Q'land folk!Just heard on Radio 2 news that the cyclone has hit,people are being turned away from shelters,and the emergency services have stated that can no longer help people!Lets hope this is the last disaster,enough is enough I say!

Guest Guest5035

stevo

Thank god it was like a storm in a tea cup, watching the news this morning and they were scrounging around for damage, a few trees down, one or two houses damaged, a bit of debris here and there, where was the massive seas, where was the floods, as before covering their back sides.

Stevo

Thank god it was like a storm in a tea cup, watching the news this morning and they were scrounging around for damage, a few trees down, one or two houses damaged, a bit of debris here and there, where was the massive seas, where was the floods, as before covering their back sides.

Stevo

I think they havent even begun to assess the damage at this stage though to be fair.Also isnt it better to over emphasise things and save lives rather than play it down and people die? I Know which id rather hear. so pleased up to now there have been no casualties :)

Guest Guest5035

i quite agree, but they had to play it up to make people listen, or the people would have said, we were not told, now we'll sue. Ch 7 this morning found 1 house in two, fair enough, Koschie could only find a bit of a tree behind him and another found 2 flattened nana crops, and Mel had her hair slightly twirling in the breeze, yet she said strong winds, i blow stonger wind!!

fair enough i think Dunk Island and a couple of other places had it rough, but its not the first and it won't be the last one. They will learn by it

stevo

Have to agree....tv presenters were trying to make the damage out to be worse than it was. One was getting particulary upset about leaves on a back garden!!!

Do feel sorry for the banana farmers..can see bananas going back up to $20 a kilo again. My youngest eats them like they are going out of fashion!!!!

Obviously hasn't occurred to you guys that the roads are blocked so they hadn't been able to access the worst affected areas... One in three houses have lost their roof or been totally destroyed in Tully, and there are reports of significant damage in Cardwell, Innisvail etc. I'm very glad the hard-core damage wasn't as widespread as anticipated, but to dismiss it out of hand is just...

oh and if this is the storm surge in Cairns, then I dread to think what it's like in the areas closer to the centre.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2011/02/03/3128764.htm

Fingers crossed there aren't too many serious injuries or any deaths in the worst affected areas.

Guest Guest5035
One in three houses have lost their roof or been totally destroyed .[/quote

not quite, as before, its not the first and its not the last, quite minor damage compared to 5 years ago, those storm surge piccies again very minor, no damage caused by them.

stevo

I was thinking it was going to be something like the aftermath of Katrina - but I guess there's a bit more money in FNQ than in the poorer areas of New Orleans... had heard tales of heavy trucks picked up and moved in Katrina but looking at the pics on the news tonight, even plant pots were still standing!

A lucky escape I think, for everyone (apart from the media who glory in bad news wherever they can make it!)

I think alot more pics of the devastation is coming through now, as access gets easier...

To be honest.........if it turned out to be not as bad as it was thought to be........then who cares if it was 'hyped' up or the media had a frenzy???? at the end of the day that could be what has saved countless of lives!!!!