Boxertony 1 Year Update......

Boxertony

On the 10th February 2011, my family and I have been in Adelaide for one year. Wow! one year it just seems like it was yesterday when we landed, does time travel faster in the land downunder or what? Ummmm! What a year it has been!

We had our house up for sale for 6 months but it was not selling, so after speaking to a fellow member of this website in November 2009 at 11:30pm UK time. I decided, sod it! Lets just go, we have our visa's, the house is not going to sell, lets rent it. So we rented the house to a lady aged 59 years old with custody of her two small grandchildren. My parents gave me £2000.00 for the flights and we booked them for the 8th February 2011. I started telling the contacts I had made regarding jobs I have been semi offerred, e.g. MINDA, that we are on our way.

Wait for this now! Our family of five consiting of my wife and I, son aged 20, daughters aged 16 and 11 arrived in adelaide with £5000.00, just under $11,000. We did not bring any furniture with us. We had already had a furnished house sorted in Seaton for $750 per week, all bills inclusive. We arrived at 12 noon, by the time of 6pm that day, we had sorted out the banks, a big shop and hired a car. The next day we sorted our tax file numbers, bought a car, got all members of the family a mobile phone and pay as you go internet. The third day we had been here I walked on Glenelg beach in 37c heat and could not believe that we live here. From the third day of being here in Adelaide, it was my home, I never looked back, I never converted the $ to the £. I embraced the life of a aussie. By the end of the week Jane my wife had a start date for job on the Cancer Ward at Calvary North Hospital, because money was scarce she had to start within two weeks of arriving. We moved from Seaton to Ferryden Park, had to pay $3,000 bond and rent and no furniture. We furnished the house with the following:

3 Queen Size Beds with Mattresses

6 Bedside Tables

2 x 2 Seater Bed Settee's

2 x TV Units

2 x Coffee Tables

2 x Lamp Tables

1 x 7 seater dining room table set.

Costing us $1,660.00 brand new from Super A Mart (Gepps Cross)

1 x Freezer

1 x Fridge Freezer

Both costing $650 with delivery from Harvey Normans (Gepps Cross)

Many friends who we had met, lent us culterly, blankets, washing machine, blow up beds and TV.

I had been offerred 11 jobs, within two weeks of being in Adelaide. Great start. I decided to take the job at MINDA, but had to do my Australian First Aid and get my Skills Assessed again.

In the meanwhile I gained a job at De Poi, as a Rehabilitation Consultant (WorkCover), the money was great, but I worked with 67 horrible women, I hated the job. I was constantly called into the office saying I fart to much, do I have a mental health problem, for instance: short term memory loss, just because I put those small yellow sticky notes on my computer screen, which remind me of things to do. I hated going to work everyday. I worked their for three months. In additon the lady who rented our home had never paid the rent and took all my furniture, my floorboards, the light fittings, my shed and even my Combi Boiler. We had lost $30,000 in the value of our home. Police found her, but they could not prosecute her because it was a civil matter. I got my keys to the home posted them back to the bank and walked away. That same weekend in June I applied for 5 jobs and two days later I got all 5 jobs, so I picked another Rehabilitation Consultant role (WorkCover) for $20,000 per annum less, within a few days I loved the job, my work colleagues and management, also the Chief Executive asked me to go for a drink with him, which I would of been daft to refuse not to. He offerred me to sponsor me for Permanent Residency, providing my family with more security/stability. I took up this offer.

In the meanwhile Jane was really enjoying her work, apart from going back to shift work, as she was working in outpatients in Newcastle upon Tyne. My son was playing professional soccer for Adelaide City and we also had a chat with Adelaide United as well, who was aware of my sons talent. He also gained a job at the Director and owner of Adelaide City's business, BEST Bricks and Pavers as a salesperson, which he is still working there, but has now stopped the soccer. My daughter 16yrs old did not want to come here and it was a nightmare when she arrived. Constantly on the phone and facebook to her boyfriend, would not talk, would not sociliase, would not go anywhere with us, she constantly stayed in the house for 7 months, this caused a lot of arguments and upset between our family members. My mother offered to pay for her flight back to England, my daughter would not talk to me, she was not interested in gaining the PR or even attempting to make an effort here in Adelaide. Then my son all of a sudden booked his flight for the 5th September 2010 and was going back for good and never returning, also he was going to book a flight for my daughter to go back with him. I understand where my son was coming from and that he wanted to support his sister. I wanted both children to stay until we got the PR Visa but they would not. At the same time we had found out that the amazing home we was living in had been sold and we had to move out, we managed to get a much smaller two bedroom with a study room just around the corner, because both children were going back. 2 days before we were moving my son decides not to go back to the UK, hence my daughter not going back. Everything I told him to try to get him to stay he ignored me, but when his mates at work told him the same he decided to stay. Another problem we were moving to an house with no bedroom for him and really small. We had two days to gain a 4 bedroom house, lucky enough we got a 4 bedroom just around the corner from a patient at Jane's hospital. 6 weeks later my daughter got a job in a cafe on King William Street, she has just passed her driving test and currently driving my car, she has saved up $2,500 to get her own car and will be 18 years old in April, so she can then at least get in the pubs and meet people. My daughter told me that she is staying now, 8 months of upset and worry for my daughter and now its over with. My son is very settled and has a car now. Jane takes her driving test this coming week and we have savings for her to get a car.

We have just spent Jane's 40th birthday in Sydney, we have lots of really really good friends who seem to be much nicer than the friends we had in the UK, I find that the friends over here make much more of an effort to meet up with you and especially help you with anything. We have no debts and money to spend and save.

Jane and I dont miss anything in England and we have no interest in going back, our parents have even said not to go back for their funerals, in a nice way. I want to say a big thank you for all the friends we have met via this wonderful site and for all the help/support they have given us for this past year.

Guest The Dimmocks

Congratulations on your 1st year, we arrived a few hours before you LOL. Glad it all working out for you and will def have to meet up again soon to celebrate our year here.

Guest Ric & Paula

Not met but spoken!!Well done on your first year,we celebrated ours yesterday.Like you a rollercoaster but have made fab friends,met great people and no going back!Jane is now my inspiration to learn to drive-and all the groups and parties the kids go to!!Glad your children are settled and happy too.

Never met you Tony but have followed your story with interest. Great news that things have all worked out, and the family is together and settling well. Your experience shows that if the will is strong enough, there is a way, and obstacles are just there to be beaten and come out the other side stronger.

May you all have many more happy years here.

Guest Bluenose

Great post Tony...not had the chance to meet you but (like Di) have followed your posts on this site. Mate, coming here is a roller coaster and you seem to have had your fair share.

I think you've handled your problems in a very positive manner (as tough as I'm sure some of those problems have been for you all) At the end of the day it's just life...and sometimes life can be **** and sometimes it can be great! :D

Keep living the dream, mate

All the best

J

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. Thank you for your post.It shows many of us what is possible if you have the determination to build that new life.

It's nice to see a post showing that a family of 5 can move over on a small budget.I have seen so many posts suggesting it simply can't be done.

Thank you.

wow,what an amazing post.You really have been through it,bet you're glad the children changed their mind-really happy for you.Have been reading about the bullying at school its a real worry.you seem happy where you are what area do you live in ?

We live in Ferryden Park, which is near North Adelaide

wow,what an amazing post.You really have been through it,bet you're glad the children changed their mind-really happy for you.Have been reading about the bullying at school its a real worry.you seem happy where you are what area do you live in ?

Guest brianlynnette
On the 10th February 2011, my family and I have been in Adelaide for one year. Wow! one year it just seems like it was yesterday when we landed, does time travel faster in the land downunder or what? Ummmm! What a year it has been!

We had our house up for sale for 6 months but it was not selling, so after speaking to a fellow member of this website in November 2009 at 11:30pm UK time. I decided, sod it! Lets just go, we have our visa's, the house is not going to sell, lets rent it. So we rented the house to a lady aged 59 years old with custody of her two small grandchildren. My parents gave me £2000.00 for the flights and we booked them for the 8th February 2011. I started telling the contacts I had made regarding jobs I have been semi offerred, e.g. MINDA, that we are on our way.

Wait for this now! Our family of five consiting of my wife and I, son aged 20, daughters aged 16 and 11 arrived in adelaide with £5000.00, just under $11,000. We did not bring any furniture with us. We had already had a furnished house sorted in Seaton for $750 per week, all bills inclusive. We arrived at 12 noon, by the time of 6pm that day, we had sorted out the banks, a big shop and hired a car. The next day we sorted our tax file numbers, bought a car, got all members of the family a mobile phone and pay as you go internet. The third day we had been here I walked on Glenelg beach in 37c heat and could not believe that we live here. From the third day of being here in Adelaide, it was my home, I never looked back, I never converted the $ to the £. I embraced the life of a aussie. By the end of the week Jane my wife had a start date for job on the Cancer Ward at Calvary North Hospital, because money was scarce she had to start within two weeks of arriving. We moved from Seaton to Ferryden Park, had to pay $3,000 bond and rent and no furniture. We furnished the house with the following:

3 Queen Size Beds with Mattresses

6 Bedside Tables

2 x 2 Seater Bed Settee's

2 x TV Units

2 x Coffee Tables

2 x Lamp Tables

1 x 7 seater dining room table set.

Costing us $1,660.00 brand new from Super A Mart (Gepps Cross)

1 x Freezer

1 x Fridge Freezer

Both costing $650 with delivery from Harvey Normans (Gepps Cross)

Many friends who we had met, lent us culterly, blankets, washing machine, blow up beds and TV.

I had been offerred 11 jobs, within two weeks of being in Adelaide. Great start. I decided to take the job at MINDA, but had to do my Australian First Aid and get my Skills Assessed again.

In the meanwhile I gained a job at De Poi, as a Rehabilitation Consultant (WorkCover), the money was great, but I worked with 67 horrible women, I hated the job. I was constantly called into the office saying I fart to much, do I have a mental health problem, for instance: short term memory loss, just because I put those small yellow sticky notes on my computer screen, which remind me of things to do. I hated going to work everyday. I worked their for three months. In additon the lady who rented our home had never paid the rent and took all my furniture, my floorboards, the light fittings, my shed and even my Combi Boiler. We had lost $30,000 in the value of our home. Police found her, but they could not prosecute her because it was a civil matter. I got my keys to the home posted them back to the bank and walked away. That same weekend in June I applied for 5 jobs and two days later I got all 5 jobs, so I picked another Rehabilitation Consultant role (WorkCover) for $20,000 per annum less, within a few days I loved the job, my work colleagues and management, also the Chief Executive asked me to go for a drink with him, which I would of been daft to refuse not to. He offerred me to sponsor me for Permanent Residency, providing my family with more security/stability. I took up this offer.

In the meanwhile Jane was really enjoying her work, apart from going back to shift work, as she was working in outpatients in Newcastle upon Tyne. My son was playing professional soccer for Adelaide City and we also had a chat with Adelaide United as well, who was aware of my sons talent. He also gained a job at the Director and owner of Adelaide City's business, BEST Bricks and Pavers as a salesperson, which he is still working there, but has now stopped the soccer. My daughter 16yrs old did not want to come here and it was a nightmare when she arrived. Constantly on the phone and facebook to her boyfriend, would not talk, would not sociliase, would not go anywhere with us, she constantly stayed in the house for 7 months, this caused a lot of arguments and upset between our family members. My mother offered to pay for her flight back to England, my daughter would not talk to me, she was not interested in gaining the PR or even attempting to make an effort here in Adelaide. Then my son all of a sudden booked his flight for the 5th September 2010 and was going back for good and never returning, also he was going to book a flight for my daughter to go back with him. I understand where my son was coming from and that he wanted to support his sister. I wanted both children to stay until we got the PR Visa but they would not. At the same time we had found out that the amazing home we was living in had been sold and we had to move out, we managed to get a much smaller two bedroom with a study room just around the corner, because both children were going back. 2 days before we were moving my son decides not to go back to the UK, hence my daughter not going back. Everything I told him to try to get him to stay he ignored me, but when his mates at work told him the same he decided to stay. Another problem we were moving to an house with no bedroom for him and really small. We had two days to gain a 4 bedroom house, lucky enough we got a 4 bedroom just around the corner from a patient at Jane's hospital. 6 weeks later my daughter got a job in a cafe on King William Street, she has just passed her driving test and currently driving my car, she has saved up $2,500 to get her own car and will be 18 years old in April, so she can then at least get in the pubs and meet people. My daughter told me that she is staying now, 8 months of upset and worry for my daughter and now its over with. My son is very settled and has a car now. Jane takes her driving test this coming week and we have savings for her to get a car.

We have just spent Jane's 40th birthday in Sydney, we have lots of really really good friends who seem to be much nicer than the friends we had in the UK, I find that the friends over here make much more of an effort to meet up with you and especially help you with anything. We have no debts and money to spend and save.

Jane and I dont miss anything in England and we have no interest in going back, our parents have even said not to go back for their funerals, in a nice way. I want to say a big thank you for all the friends we have met via this wonderful site and for all the help/support they have given us for this past year.

oh my god what a brill update, brians o.h you have give me so much hope, cant wait for brian to get home from work to let him read this, due to the decrease in housing prices we'll be heading over with about £12,000 after flights and container, only thinking of getting a shared 1 just for personnal stuff, toys and the usual utensils, its a waste of time bringing couch, fridge e.t.c cos we need them right up till we go then need them straight away when we get there, glad you finally got there with the kids and you's are all together good luck:biglaugh:

Thanks ever so much for your kind words. What we have been through this last year has been amazing and even the difficult time we went through, when both the eldest two where leaving Australia was still for me. I just cannot get my head round people wanting to go back to the UK, especailly if they have been here in Adelaide for a short while. Life is what you make it, wherever you live, you come across difficult times. You may go back to the UK and it will be great to see the family and friends, but the difficult times still come around eventually. I am extremely close to my Mam, Dad and Sister and have several really good lifelong special friends back in England. My family and friends really encouraged me to come to Australia and not once consider their needs over mine, we still chat on the telephone, send text messages and skype each other. We have the money to go back to the UK for trips but the family and friends say to us, spend it on yourselves, go to Bali, treat yourself, etc.... In my opinion I think its so wrong for family and friends to ask you to go back and visit and/or go back to the UK for good, to me thats emotional blackmail, but not intentional. Mr final note is, I have lived in the UK for 40 years, why not the next 40 years in Australia.

Guest WhatNow?

How lucky you are to have such sensible and unselfish family in the UK. If only there were more like them! It is hard enough to make a move like you have done without the emotional blackmail that so often goes on. Well Done for coming through it intact!

Hi Julie and Mark

Long time no hear, we are having another BBQ in early March, so you have to come to it, we are in a different home now, but just around the corner to our old one.

Also to all readers and newcommers to Adelaide, you are welcome as well. Last BBQ we had a few weeks ago 9 new people came to it.

Guest The Broadheads

Hi Tony,

Wow! Phew! I feel emotionally drained after reading that!!!!

Congratulations, well done and HAPPY FIRST AUSTRALIA YEAR to a lovely couple and family.

Hope to see you soon,

Nic & Rich xx