Different bins?

Guest sims

Hi Guys,

Having a little trouble understanding the bins here- We know red is for rubbish, green for greens and yellow for recycling but do we use bin bags for the recycling and greens? and if so do they have to be black or green bin bags? I know it sounds a little silly but really not sure!

Also does anyone know if you can find brabantia bins in adelaide or something equivalent?

thanks

As far as I am aware no bin bags in recycling or garden waste.

What I'd like someone to tell me, is why we have split bins in some suburbs (so literally we only get half a bin for rubbish, and half for recycling) and then when the truck comes it just seems to throw it all in together.

We are in Burnside. I am getting the impression the only reason the bin is split is to reduce the amount we can actually throw away.

Diane please tell me that we will have a proper bin in Highbury??????!

Go to Bunnings and look for a new bin, I am sure you will find something there.

Split bins at the moment Sally but they're changing it to a two bin system soon. Each Council area seems to have its own variation - so always worth a call to your local one with any queries. The Zero Waste SA website also has some good info about what you can and can't recycle Zero Waste SA: recycling, reuse, sustainability and waste avoidance in South Australia

Good website, but pretty much confirms to me that it is highly likely the "recycling" side of the split bin goes straight mixed in with everything else in the truck that collects it. No way that it could accurately get split the way they lift it up and throw it in. If I didn't have a life I'd ring them up and ask them about it!! But glad the bin system is changing to 2.

Thanks Diane!

Good website, but pretty much confirms to me that it is highly likely the "recycling" side of the split bin goes straight mixed in with everything else in the truck that collects it. No way that it could accurately get split the way they lift it up and throw it in. If I didn't have a life I'd ring them up and ask them about it!! But glad the bin system is changing to 2.

Sally, the split bin presumably separates waste from recyclables when it goes into the truck.

If you go to Burnside Council website, or just google 'Burnside split bins', which I just tried, it shows a drawing of how the waste is separated from recyclables. Sometimes our garbage section is full, and other times it has hardly anything in it, but then we are only two!

Yes I assumed that it would split properly in the truck else what's the point. But watching it being thrown in from such a height when they lift the bins I am still dubious.

I didn't know you could request another bin from the council so we will definitely do that once we've moved into our new house. That will make life so much easier. We *just about* get away with it although usually have to wait to empty the kitchen bin until after the rubbish has been taken but now we are moving it's hopeless. Matthew's going to have to go to the dump with a lot of extra rubbish.