I'm moving to Whyalla!

Kacymru

It's an industrial town, in the middle of nowhere - very dry, dusty surroundings. The town is covered by a reddy-brown dust. Lots of Brits settled there in the sixties to work in the steel plant. I remember lots of 60s style houses, the centre of the town is older. Not a glamorous location, just a working-class town. Used to have a reputation for having a high rate of teenage pregnancy! I know it has a surf club, although the beach is hardly one that you'd want to spend time on, maybe they are based somewhere out of town. If you are only based there for 5 months then you will probably enjoy it - you can use it as a base for exploring the Eyre Peninsular and the Flinders Ranges whilst you are there.

Guest kangomik

Been through it, nothing to much there, it's real country stuff. I bet there are some real characters up there. Take time to travel down to tumby bay and tiddy widdy beach, spend a weekend in Port Lincoln and swim with the big fish.

I was talking to a man last week, he came over 46 years ago, his fist stop was Whyalla, then Port Pirie some 20 years later. He now lives in Nuriootpa and he thinks that is over crowded!!!!!!!! LOL

I lived in Whyalla for 8 years and loved it.

It has several good pubs and a reasonable taxi service. Nowhere in Whyalla is more than a 5 minute drive away.

An hour down the coast is one of the best fishing beaches in SA, just ask any of the Cowell natives where the 'knob' beach is.

The Flinders Ranges and Quorn are within easy reach as is Tumby Bay, Port Lincoln, Elliston and Streaky Bay.

Guest moonraker1959

Just wanted to wish you the best for your job and temporary move.I'm sure Whyalla has lots of friendly folk,big country towns usually do!I've never been one for the big smoke myself.I bet it'll have a good community spirit,some good pubs and as others have said,loads of other great places to spend time in whilst up that neck of the woods.Property is alot cheaper up that way as well.You may decide to settle up that way,even if not in Whyalla,there's lots of smaller towns within easy reach,you might just find a bargain!

Just wanted to wish you the best for your job and temporary move.I'm sure Whyalla has lots of friendly folk,big country towns usually do!I've never been one for the big smoke myself.I bet it'll have a good community spirit,some good pubs and as others have said,loads of other great places to spend time in whilst up that neck of the woods.Property is alot cheaper up that way as well.You may decide to settle up that way,even if not in Whyalla,there's lots of smaller towns within easy reach,you might just find a bargain!

Thanks, that's really nice!

I'm really looking forward to it! I shall be sure to let you all know how it goes! x

Guest moonraker1959
Thanks, that's really nice!

I'm really looking forward to it! I shall be sure to let you all know how it goes! x

Yu're welcome!I think it sounds quite exciting myself.Its good to have that opportunity to go elsewhere,rather than just stick to Adelaide.My parents settled in Modbury.My Dad was a plumbing supervisor by trade and was offered a job down Mt Gambier,which he took.Mum went with him and they spent a year down there all up,just returning home periodically to check mail ect.They had a ball in Mt Gambier.Apart from when I was a teenager,most of my adult life in SA was spent in country towns,and thats what I could go back to if we decided to return to SA.Best of luck mate and good on yah for giving it a go,I'm sure it'll work out for you.xx