flying on own with a toddler on lap!!! to UK!!!!

phil&Sue

Hi, been here coming up for a year, need to prob. head to UK to ctch up and see family and friends. As we are both casually employed still, looks like I need to head back on my own with Jack (for hubby to take month off without pay is big deal at mo), Has anyone attempted this, or am I q crazy to consider it?!! I guess a few others must have done it. Was going to go S/pore airlines with shortest duration in S/pore? My son will be practically free, that is why I feel I should squeeze in trip now.... any experiences shared, greatly appreicaited... thank you sue, jack (22 months), gotta take him back for health advice, as really want 2nd opinion from someone in UK too

You are saying he is free so am guessing he is sitting on your lap the entire flight? Good luck with that. It gets a bit knackering having a little person sat on you for such long flights. Hope that the seat next to you is empty and you can pop him over there.

Ensure you take some Calpol or some such sachets for pain relief (pressure on landing and take off) and a fair few things like colouring books and books to read. If you are flying in daytime hours he'll no doubt want to run around. Go with it even if you do get some annoyed looks from people. If you are flying at night time it is knackering holding a toddler on your lap so hope you can squish him in the pull down cot (if you are in the right rows of seats) to give your arms a break.

It will be hard work but just do as you usually do everywhere and should be good.

O if flying at night take a pair of pyjamas to change him in to as its always helpful to keep familiar sleep routines as far as possible. I find young children always sleep better on overnight flights if they are put in their night clothes.

Hi Sue

I found Singapore airlines great, they will try to get you a spare seat if the flight is not full, which will really help you and the crew are great really helpful if your on your own. as snifter says dont worry about other people just go with it, If oyur relaxed then Jack will be too. when I went back on my own with our daughter I booked into the transit hotel at Singapore airport Ambassador Transit Hotel it was great to have a lovely shower and get some quality sleep in a real bed, you will both feel more refreshed. Take as many toys and different activities as possible.

Good Luck

Kim

Guest fluxsta

it will be fine if a little tiring. we have just returned from recce, twin girls just over a year and a 4 year old and have arrived back i none piece. Got loads of good advice via this forum....

cheers

Ummm...can you let us know which flight you're going on?!!! Heard on the news the other day some of the airlines are considering introducing "adult only" flights....

Sister in law flew back from UK alone with 2yr old twins couple of years ago - was a nightmare as long delays before leaving UK and kids were totally unsettled: other passengers told her afterwards it was the worst flight they had ever been on (she agreed!)

I did the journey xmas 2009 on my own with an 18 month, 7 and 8 year old. went much better than expected, singapore staff were soo helpful. Worst bit was the transit, I recommend you book the transit hotel, if only that it is a space you can go and chill, put the little one down and not have to watch them sp closely

On your lap for the whole duration of the flight!!!!!

There isn't enough room to swing a cat in those seats for that length of time.

You will be so stressed..imagine if your little un is kicking off..which lets face it..you couldn't blame him if he was...not only will you have him to contend with but the poor person next to you.

They could try and give you a spare seat..but everytime I have flown with them the planes have been full.

Guest Guest5035

When we flew back from UK last year a mum had 2 kids with her but only 2 seats, they got off in Singas but she was knackered as mum had to let littlies sleep on 1.5 seats and herself on the other half of seat. First time i have seen anyone sleep with their head leaning forward for a number of hours.

Stevo

Hi

I don't think it a good idea to have the liitle on your lap. It may be cheaper but just think of the length of the flight. If the seat next to you is free - great, but how are you gonna eat, relax, sleep etc.. (not that you will get much relaxation anyway!) with a little one squirming about and if they sleep most of the flight you will probably get a dead arm!

I took my infant on a flight from UK to Tunisia on my lap that was bad enough.

I am returning to the UK later this year alone with a 2 & 5 year old. I'm terrified! I will stock up on Calpol night and make full use of the alcohol on board (for me , not them lols!) :arghh:

If you want to leave it til August time - We could all go together! :idea:

I did the journey over with toddler on my lap (wasn't on my own tho' had hubby plus another two kids)

We went with singapore airlines and they placed us at the front with the extra legroom and was absolutely fine, except for another family that were sitting near us and they daughter screamed the entire journey so we were all shattered.

travelled back to Uk last year my youngest now 3 had a seat of his own, but still spent most of the journey on my lap (can't win with lttle un's)

think you need to take their favourite toys and activities with you to keep them occupied, and poss look for a late flight so its their natural bed time and they can sleep the first part of the journey.

nikki

I did this many years ago, when planes were less crowded and it wasn't too bad as we had spare seats around. These days you just can't rely on that.

My daughter has travelled several times with her son and last time stayed overnight at Singapore Airport. This broke the travelling exhaustion and gave them both a good night's sleep before catching the lunchtime flight to LHR the next day. If you can't afford a seat for your son, this is a cheaper option.

Also, make sure you order a child's meal. Last time she had only the option of a baby meal or adult, as she wrongly assumed she would get the appropriate meal automatically.

Guest Guest5035
If you are on your own with a toddler - what happens if you need the loo? Can you just leave the baby on its own? Not much room in airport loos to take them with you...

pop them outside in the "garden" :D:D

stevo

If you are on your own with a toddler - what happens if you need the loo? Can you just leave the baby on its own? Not much room in airport loos to take them with you...

you have to squeeze in or ask the airline staff to hold your baby whilst you go. You can plonk the baby on the change table and duck down to go to the loo yourself :biglaugh: I know this from having to take 2 littlies in at once with me!

I think just manage with the toddler on your lap and save $1800! As someone has said you can never predict how they will be and you may pay for a seat only for them to end up on your lap anyhow. Check the weight and length restrictions as you may still qualify for a bassinet, which is a great thing.

It won't be fab, but as long as you get in the right mindset you will just cope with it - because you will have no choice.

Also second the bit about the child meal. don't forget that.

Good Luck

Guest Taylors08

I have just done this flight with a 10 month old, 3 year old and 12 year old and it was very hard! But worth it to see all my family and friends in the uk again! I also never purchased a seat for my 10 month old i used the sky cot. Wasnt ideal but it was the cheapest option. Would do it again if it meant i could go see family and friends. I walked the youngest all around the airport kept her awake then as soon as we got on the flights give her milk and she slept for a good few hours. Wasnt easy but its manageable. I also used the Transit hotel in Singapore, definately recommend it!!

Hope you have a good time back in the UK! xx

thanks v much everyone for your replies, it really is a mixed bag, obviously depends if lucky enough to get spare seat, q honestly i am dreading it, madtom sounds a better idea!!!!

TO THE ADMINISTRATOR OF P.I.A, IS IT POSSIBLE SOMEONE MAKES A "TRAVEL SECTION"?? as I have seen people ask q's re: recommended stopovers etc etc, anyway, cheers 4 now...