Buying a Mobile Phone plan

Moosh

I can't understand why there are so many mobile phone shops when the deals are all the same in each one!

I need a new mobile. Maximum $29 cap. Unlimited text to any mobile network within Australia is important.

I really want the Sony Erricsson X10 but I don't want to pay for the phone on top of the plan.

Any tips on who to go with. Do the shops haggle?

Guest browny_oh

virgin do a $29 a month cap for the x10 and $0 up front, but the phone seems to be low on stock, Nicole (browny) wants one herself and was most disappointed not a half hour ago when allphones had no stock.

virgin do a $29 a month cap for the x10 and $0 up front, but the phone seems to be low on stock, Nicole (browny) wants one herself and was most disappointed not a half hour ago when allphones had no stock.

The plan Virgin is offering is the BigCap $29 which doesn't give you unlimited texts to any mobile service provider. See if the phone is available online.

I used to be with Telstra and the coverage was good but the costs were exhorbitant! I switched to "Three" on the $29 and I don't often go over my limit and you get a few extras, like daily news info and other stuff which I like. Something to read while on the bus. But I find that my calls drop out when I am at home indoors - always. Also since "Three" amalgamated with Vodaphone I think their service has deteriorated.

I know you live in McLaren Flat and I would also add into the equation which networks get good reception there. I am on optus and reception is dire - my friend who lives there is on virgin and her reception is no better!

Lindsey

That's because Virgin piggy-backs on the Optus network.

X10 is also a single-touch phone i.e. you can't do pinch-to-zoom. Would also affect anyone, for example, who wanted to use a piano key application as you wouldn't be able to play chords. There's supposedly a software upgrade in the pipeline that may allow multi-touch but given the limited lifespan any particular model has it's doubtful it'd be worth refining and releasing.

X10 mini pro has the same shortfall.

I nearly bought one. Glad I didn't.

How much would a plan be that includes say 500MB or 1GB of data? I don't need a phone (have one already), just need SIM only plan.

You can get 1Gb of data on Virgin with the LG Optimus One on their Smart Cap 29 plan. Costs $34 per month as you pay an additional $5 for the handset. Keep the sim, flog the phone for $120 or so. Job done.

How much would a plan be that includes say 500MB or 1GB of data? I don't need a phone (have one already), just need SIM only plan.

As you don't need a phone, you want a 'BYO' plan, which is sim only.

I'm on Virgin, and on Smart Cap 29, which is $29 a month, with $60 cap credit, unlimited texts to oz mobiles, 1GB of data, and unused cap credit rolls over to the next month.