how warm are the summers in Adelaide?

Guest happie2cu

Guest happie2cu

I'm looking at migrating there in Sept 08. Already got my job offer, and been told my visa will fly through. But my concern is how warm is a typical summers day. I've been living in Florida for 5 years, and in the summer, a cool day is 35C. As Adelaide is in the south, I'm just woundering what I can expect there?

:confused:

Guest Rob and Clare

I think the averages are typically 9 deg warmer by day than London and 4 degs warmer at night. But that only tells half the story, whilst the average summer temp is only approx 28 - 30deg, it will swing wildley from a 40+ deg day to late teens the next, and you literally feel the fresh weather come in. But after the heat it is a welcome relief.

Even in the heat though, typically it's very dry, so temperatures upto the mid 30's are quite pleasent, where as a 30 deg day in the UK is un-bareable.

The winter nights can be cold though, and I've seen a couple of frosty mornings, and snow can fall at the top of the hills but never in the city, but the daytime temperatures are still clement.

Cheers

Rob and Clare

I think the averages are typically 9 deg warmer by day than London and 4 degs warmer at night. But that only tells half the story, whilst the average summer temp is only approx 28 - 30deg, it will swing wildley from a 40+ deg day to late teens the next, and you literally feel the fresh weather come in. But after the heat it is a welcome relief.

Even in the heat though, typically it's very dry, so temperatures upto the mid 30's are quite pleasent, where as a 30 deg day in the UK is un-bareable.

The winter nights can be cold though, and I've seen a couple of frosty mornings, and snow can fall at the top of the hills but never in the city, but the daytime temperatures are still clement.

Cheers

Rob and Clare

A very good description guys.....you sure you wern't a weather man in a previous life?

Lol;)

J x

Greetings! Summers in Adelaide are much more comfortable than Florida (my parents are snowbirds) because of the humidity issue. Heat can be the same but a different kind! My parents can't wait to come visit (when we get there that is) and we can't wait to get back!

Liz (US to UK to AUS!)

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Days do get hot - no avoiding that (I have been to Florida a few times and think you will not have a problem with the heat here) - BUT, never forget that Oz is geared up for hot days - everything is air-conditioned and on a real stinker of a day, the Ozzies either head for the cinema, shopping centres, stay home in air-con/pool or head to the beach under shade to get breeze from sea.

Saturday just gone at 38 is a taste of things to come, but they tend to be spread out the hot days - today for example was lovely, cool breeze and very pleasant.

But nothing that a cool, frothie one won't sort out!

Cheers

Sas

Guest sarahsmartiepants

There is rarely any humidity here, UK is more humid. I just heard on the radio that wed is 26, thurs 36 and fri 26!!! My ears are not too good though as I went to My Chemical romance concert last night!

sarah

Agree that it's a welcome break to have the odd cooler day here and there. Yesterday was ok but maybe not quite the drop in temperature as today! After those days where it was in the thirties (great) thermometer says 15 at the moment and it feels blooming freezing, thought I'd put those jackets away until next winter! Don't remember last year dropping quite this much! Still when we get those days in the forties will be looking forward to the next drop!

How was your concert Sarahsmartiepants you teeny bopper?!

Guest happie2cu

Thank You all for taking the time to reply. I was concerned when I see hot days was 28-30C, but now I see that is more of an average. Being use to 35-40C, I was concerned. But losing the humidity is a big plus. As I'm coming at the end of my summer and the start of yours, I'm guessing I will need to bring a few warmer clothes until the summer gets in full swing.

Thank all of you for your help.

Mick