EEEEEEEEkkkkkkkkk MICE !!!!

Guest lesade

Guest lesade

:shocked: Eeeeekkkkkkkkkk we have Mice, have caught 4 of the pesky critters in the past couple of days ..... Bloomin cheek of them roaming around the house, Licking the peanut butter off the traps, and stealing the cheese, i think the ones that are escaping are going to tell all their mates that there is free food ...... :eek:

Is anyone else having a problem with them !!! :arghh:

Any useful tips please :goofy:

Guest Guest75

You are not on your own by any means. There seems to be a huge increase in the mouse population recently.

We also use peanut butter which works most times.

I don't always set the traps but do bait them. He,he,he Mice do get careless:eek:

Not much more you can do unless you put poison down - but very awkward if you have pets and really smelly if they die in a confined space in the house!:nah:

We have had the same a couple of times (thought having cats stopped that problem but no!). We got some great humane traps - will check with OH where he got them from but they're like long square tubes with a bend in the middle, you put bait (yep, peanut butter is good) at the end, and when the mouse goes in it tips up the trap, closing the door on them.

We have two traps, and just keep setting them over night when the mice are coming in until we stop catching anything. The seem to like the cupboard under the sink even though there is no food there, so just make sure all food is in sealed containers, and there are no crumbs left about. We even had them coming into our oven overnight once - caught twelve of the little buggers before they ran dry! I now have a new oven....!!!!

Guest m.jephcott

We had this problem about 6 years ago, they were coming in through a small hole between the bricks outside and finding themselves, in the wall heater. Then out the heater and into the oven, yuk, check round the outside of your house for any small gaps to see were they are coming in. We caught about 12 in all again with peanut butter, once the gaps were filled in they got desperate and were easy to catch.

Guest lesade

Omg ...... that's horrible, so far we have caught one from behind the Water cooler in the Kitchen, one just inside the internal Door from the Garage ....... and 2 Last night in my Bedroom :shocked:, I do have a couple of the humane traps, the ones that are angled, but the reat are the Killer traps, just trying anything and everything at the moment :o

Yikes! can totally sympathise....we had loads of them last year when we lived in Old Noarlunga....we started out with the humane traps...but never caught any - so went onto the blocks of poision....but they ate all of it - but we still didnt find any dead ones.

We ended up chasing them around the house....they got everywhere...had droppings in all our cupboards - it was disgusting.

Even worse - we could here them under our bed at night...going through all our stuff!!....and I did have the most horrid fright one morning when I woke to hear something very close - I lifted up my pillow and there was one underneath!!!! te he...you should have heard me scream!!

Havent really got any great advice unfortunately - we were only renting at the time - but I couldnt wait to leave - those blighters stopped me sleeping properly!!

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.......I think having a cat in the house would help.

sarahx

Guest m.jephcott

Disgusting, we didn't have any in our bedroom thank god, but we were renting and hence didn't want to use either the heater or oven. We did move, straight back to England (though for other reasons as well). Do have a look for ways in and remember that mice have a homing instinct if using humane traps.

Guest Nicky&Andy

weve had a couple, thought they might go away if we cleared all the food, but no , brought their mates to help them look, snap, snap ive always been for humain traps and release them, no no not anymore, just got to remember where all the traps are, teach the kids to stay out the food cubboard lol

where there is two :Randy-git:there are babies and more babies lol

.......... am off to buy ten cats!

NOOOOOOOOOO don't do that! It was our bloody cat that brought one in in the first place!!! Think it was lonely and wanted someone to play with.....!!

Actually mice are not so bad - we had moths in one of our food cupboards a while ago - first we knew was when we looked up at the ceiling one day and saw maggots crawling on it! ALWAYS SEAL YOUR RICE JAR!!! (and for anyone else suffering, I think it was Pennyroyal Oil that fixed them in the end)

Guest lesade

Right, i have made my mind up, i'm moving out:nah: ....... i do have a phobia for mice, so if one was to appear on my pillow, i'm afraid that would be it for me, i believe that the polite way of saying it would be that i would lose control of all my bodily functions;)

And yes we have come to the conclusion that if they were in the bedroom, then i reckon that :Randy-git: would be happening .....:biglaugh:, so hubby is on the look out for the babies ........ although it does sound like we have potetionally got off lightly, as they haven't got into any cupboards yet and definately haven't got into the Oven.

Guest MADTOM

Urrrgh!

Saw something that looked suspiciously like mouse droppings the other day but not seen any of the critters. Seen a few cockroaches though yuck!

I used to keep pet Rats and gerbils years ago so I should'nt be bothered but it would definitely creep me out its just the thought of a wild one running around.

I saw a wild Rat in Matlock and screamed the house down...:shocked:

Guest Trakki

we have a mouse at the mo that keeps poking its head out from behind the curtain at me in the evening. Used to keep mise in the UK so not scared but need them gone, the damage they can do to wires etc it awful, we had one of our pet mice escape and be free for a few days and she chewed the wires to the stereo! Have put a trap down and the little bugger managed to get the chocolate off it without setting the trap off, and moved the trap about 4 inches. Used to use chocolate or chewits in the shop I worked in many years ago and they always went for the choc but this one is clever or very light to not set it off!!!

Mice can squeeze through a gap the size of a biro width. And they also have favourite routes they like to take.

If they are coming in for food then put things like cereal, biscuits, bread and so on in plastic containers (one giant one will work) and cut off their food supply. Put the traps down where they like to run (usually behind cupboards and against a wall) and chances are they will run into them en route. We had mice in our old house and used to catch up to 5 or 6 an hour some evenings in the kitchen.

It goes in cycles with mice also. Some seasons tend to be really bad for them and you notice them more. Also check up in your roof space if you can as often they go up as well as floor level.

Humane traps are ok but unless you release caught mice over half a mile away, they can find their way back to your house and will be there by nightfall. I have always tended to go with traps that kill as I've found it the best way to control the problem when you get more than one or two coming in. If you notice that the mice you are trapping are smaller and you are not getting so many big ones you'll know you are making inroads into the population. You get used to dealing with the bodies and resetting the traps as soon as possible.

Its always worth buying 5 or 6 (even 7 or 8) traps and setting them in groups of 2 or 3 close together so if a mouse dodges one, it lands on another. Also, big tip, use chocolate covered raisins. They can be stuck down onto the trap board and are harder for mice to sneak off with. I've never had a trap fail to catch a mouse if its had a choc raisin squished on it. Plus mice seem to love them and can't resist a nibble. Seriously, we trapped so many in one night (10 plus) and we didn't lose a single raisin :eek:

Guest lesade

Well we have had a Trap free day and Night, so i am keeping fingers crossed we have seen the last of them ..... i did buy one of those Electronic Soundwave Repellents, one in the garage ( where we think they are coming in ) and one in the bedroom, so hoping that's what drew them out in the open the other night :jiggy:, with a bit of luck all the others have run away screaming :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
But he's so cute! I have decided to call him George.

He actually looks a bit different to the "common" mouse!!

We get a few Hopping Mice or some Aussie rodent up here + the odd Bilby.

Fortunately they don't come inside.....................where the traps have a tally of 8 this last 7 days!:shocked::shocked: