BBC iPlayer

snifter

Guest Six It

for years i have been using a VPN (Virtual private network)

basically it allows you to have an ip address for loads of different countries..

so i can watch the BBC news or the iplayer.. just set it to a UK Ip address..

or.. if i want to watch US tv.. eg HULU.. then set it to a US city

the benefits are also that it protects your privacy as well..

so if i am in Starbucks.. i can set it to my IP and there is no data mining etc

not expensive..

loads of them out there..

the advantage over the free ones is that they are usually more on the ball when the BBC or Hulu etc change their systems to stop people from doing just what i am doing..

Don't quote me on it but those set ups are not exactly legal as I understand it. iPlayer isn't intended to be seen outside the UK (or UK ISP's) for a number of reasons. The VPN set up just allows people to get round that using fake IP addys. If you were trying to watch directly from Aus or elsewhere in the world the iPlayer set up would recognise your ISP and not allow you to load or download the stuff on there.

Call me old fashioned ;) While I appreciate the use of inventive ways round the systems I really won't begrudge paying to use iPlayer overseas legally. The BBC is a great service and I'd rather pay for that directly than pay some middle man for illegal/dodgy access. We don't watch enough other stuff for us to even be interested in masses of other channels. We don't have Sky here, only the Freeview stuff and most of that goes unwatched. We use iPlayer to watch most of our TV these days so for us its a good thing.

There might be others out there who like me don't want to use a VPN but who would like to have access to iPlayer still :cute:

Guest Six It

yup.. you're probably right.. if not actually illegal.. not what the BBC want.

I got mine for business purposes.. the protection of privacy.. as i use my laptop from unknown or potentially unsecure places..

the added bonus of getting the BBC news when i want to.. is something that i dont use on a daily basis..

but yes.. i take your point

Guest kangomik

:biglaugh: @ Snifter.

Wait till you get here mate and see what the Aussies do in their spare time.

:biglaugh:

Lets just say they like down loading and burning things.:biglaugh:

Wait till you get here mate and see what the Aussies do in their spare time.

Lets just say they like down loading and burning things.:biglaugh:

Well married to one I kind of have an idea ;)

There might be some ex pats out there who would use a legally approved service to watch it :cute:

I talked with hubby about a VPN upon our return and he (major tech head and fully up on things) refuses to use one. He's actually really pleased iPlayer is going international and was the one who told me about the decision :)

We run Windows on one of our Mac's. Well hubby has to for work purposes sometimes. I don't ever use it these days (when I did it slowed down my old computer terribly and everything took an age) and avoid any reason to have to use it now.

Virtual machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should help explain the tech side a bit more. TBH if you don't really know about this stuff it can be a bit of a pain to set up. I won't bother with it again. I've fully converted to using a Mac and usually can find Mac friendly alternatives for stuff if I want/need them.

we were chuffed to bits yesterday when hubby got expat shield and for 2 hours watched back to back corrie!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT arghhhh... :arghh:today it wont work - we can get bbc iplayer ok - but its not letting us on itv player (or channel 4 OD from what i tried earlier). Anyone got any ideas? Or can anyone give me an idea of which ones you pay a bit for which are worthwhile downloading?

We were looking fwd to another night of Corrie catchup tonight but could only get Top Gear :nah:

Thanks

we were chuffed to bits yesterday when hubby got expat shield and for 2 hours watched back to back corrie!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT arghhhh... :arghh:today it wont work - we can get bbc iplayer ok - but its not letting us on itv player (or channel 4 OD from what i tried earlier). Anyone got any ideas? Or can anyone give me an idea of which ones you pay a bit for which are worthwhile downloading?

We were looking fwd to another night of Corrie catchup tonight but could only get Top Gear :nah:

Thanks

Get UKTV = problem solved.

Can you explain this in English please?

What are parallels and what is VM?

Thanks Rob and Mel

As others have explained, you can 'emulate' a pc and effectively run as one with software call parallels. You can actually run a mac as a pc by using bootcamp. The reason that theses two types are around is that there is not always the same things around for a mac as there is for pc's. Obviously, using a mac as a pc, opens it up to the risk of viruses that would not normally be able to get at a mac.

For example, if you wish to look at MyP2P.eu :: Live sports and Now Playing overview. Free Live Sports right now on your pc. to watch Man United get beaten by Liverpool on Sunday, it will only work with a pc unless you run it as a pc or do some clever programming.

Cheers,

Cooler