Spoilt for choice!

Guest barb

Now things are moving in the right direction and we really hope to have our visa in the next couple of months we are now looking at areas we would like to live,so far we have come up with Aldinga beach,Christies, seaford and areas close to these places.As we have a 19year old Daughter we would like somewhere with a bit going on and not too out of the way,out of these what would be the best area to look at?As we are not to OLD ourselves,lol, would like somewhere with a good and friendly community..and pub!:chatterbox:

Guest Pam777

Hi, Aldinga Beach is a bit in out in the sticks. Seaford isn't too bad, lots of new houses etc being built. I live in Woodcroft which is a nice area and only about 10 mins to beach and less than half hour from the city

Had a look at woodcroft on tinternet, looks like a good place to live,also looked at Tennyson and areas around there,would love to hear peoples views on these areas.

Guest kangomik

Your a long way out of the city down there. Especially for the 19 year old.

If your basing the decision on house prices, have a good look around before you buy.

It's a great area for young families with great access to beach's, but night life is limited, it could be faster travelling to Victor Harbour for a night out than travel into the city.

Thanks everyone for the info. We are looking to rent a property and I have been looking into what you have said and yes, Aldinga looks like it will be too far out of the way for us. We are really drawn to Tennyson beach area, looks to be a bit more going on and some good rentals that dont break the bank as we only need a two bedroom house.Would still like to know other areas that are close to things but are nice places to live.

I can't emphasise how important it is, when considering rental properties, especially in some of the established or older areas, to actually inspect the properties. The agents here are wonderfully creative with the photographs of rental properties and until you actually see the areas, they are just names on maps. There are good and bad properties in nearly every street, and good and bad streets in every area.

The beach at Tennyson is fab, but no better than (heading north) West Lakes Shore and (heading south) Grange, Henley Beach, West Beach, Glenelg, Somerton Park, Hove, Brighton, Seacliff. Tennyson itself is a very small suburb with the sea on one side, the lake on the other and Military Road in between. Military Road is a fairly busy dual carriageway so might be quite noisy if you live directly on it. Tennyson, as far as I am aware, has no shops or cafes, it is solely residential, but it is very close to West Lakes where you have a huge shopping mall. However, I know a couple of families who moved away from Tennyson because they got fed up having to drive everywhere, just to go and get some milk or the newspaper. Tennyson has some lovely expensive upmarket houses on the beachfront, but it is very quiet. It is possible to rent a unit quite cheaply and live among the rich - we did it many years ago and lived on the North Esplanade in Glenelg and although ours was a very modest unit we had the same views out to sea as the million dollar mansions next door.

If you want a bit more life (shops, cafes, restaurants, hairdressers, doctors, post office etc) plus a beach suburb that isn't too far from the city, then any of the suburbs I have listed above would probably be better, and also consider West Lakes. In terms of how lively/busy they are I would say Glenelg 1st (most lively), then Henley Beach and Brighton, then Seacliff and Grange, then the rest are quieter (West Beach, Hove, Somerton Park and West Lakes Shore).

Just re-read your first post, and there is no pub in Tennyson! The nearest would be the Grange Hotel (ie. pub), which is just about in walking distance, or you could row across the lake back from The Lakes at West Lakes ! (only joking). Grange has one pub and one restaurant on the beach, Henley has 2 pubs and several restaurants/bars, West Beach no pub but a couple of restaurants/cafes, Glenelg has loads of everything, my knowledge gets a bit sketchier further south but Brighton has a couple of pubs and there is the Seacliff Hotel.

Also don't forget that if you can't afford to buy in a place (assuming you'll eventually want to) it might not be wise to rent there - nothing worse than having to move and uproot yourselves to a completely different area 18 months down the line, once you've made friends and found schools etc, just because you can't afford to stay in the same place.

Diane

Many thanks to everyone I will certainly take on board what everyone has said. Realise we dont want to be too far away from things going on as thats what we do now and know what a pain it can be at times. Also, untill our daughter gets her driving license we are Mr and Mrs Taxi driver,so would be nice to have transport links. Anne B, thanks for all the great information,dont think rowing across the lake after a few drinks would help us any,as much as we would love a boat,ha ha.The areas you have suggested,West Lakes etc have certainly given us some great areas to look into,so thank you for that.