Adelaide Suburbs Books / Migration? ...Anyone Recommend any please

Guest WAITINGAME

Guest WAITINGAME

Hi

Can you help, we did all our research for QLD but now decide on adelaide for better cost of living. Can you tell me if anyone has seen or read any good books on Adelaide surburbs etc?

We dont know of any good or bad areas so really need to get reading and looking at schools etc.

This would be a great help for me.

Kind Regards

Lindsey

domain, and Realeatate.com have some suburb info;

For Schools, check out the DECS website, or myschool website........

Public and private schools are listed, so think carefully.

It all depends on where you will be living/ working, what sort of travel you want to work, or not.............

Eastern burbs are very nice, and the price is reflected in housing, good schools too......

south, you'll get more bang for your buck with housing,

North, some folk say avoid Elizabeth, Salisbury and the Paras; personally, i dont see too many places that are so bad, but maybe i havent looked too far into it.

Western burbs are beachside, also good schools.............

Good luck

Jane

Guest WAITINGAME
Mandy who posts on here as WhatNow has written a book that is a good lighthearted look at South Australia from a migrant's viewpoint. Have a look at her website Welcome to the NEW Home2Home website - I think you can order the book from there as well as there being a good suburbs database on the site.

I have stumbled across this one before.....have you read it or know anyone that has?

Thanks

Guest Amanda12

Hi

Have a look on Adelaidebound.com, someone on here recommended it.

There is stacks of info on there about schools, suburbs etc. They also have a pack you can buy (think it's £12) which gives you a breakdown of the suburbs.

I haven't bought the pack but the site is really helpful.

Amanda :)

Got that book from an Oz Expo at Aintree a few years ago. Very useful information however I think it was published in about 2007 so probably needs an update now.

Cheers

Scott

Guest WAITINGAME
Got that book from an Oz Expo at Aintree a few years ago. Very useful information however I think it was published in about 2007 so probably needs an update now.

Cheers

Scott

I have ordered this....only £4.00 so not bad at least i have something to refer too ...HOPEFULLY :D

I have stumbled across this one before.....have you read it or know anyone that has?

Thanks

Yep, I've read it (I read the proof copy :)) and it is a good read, with some interesting and useful stuff in it. Mandy lives here in Adelaide, and she and her sister both migrated, Mandy brought her car and pet over so has a lot of experience in different aspects of the process.

The Where to Live one is quite good - I had a copy of that too, but only read it after we moved here and had been living here for a while and I found it had lots of gaps in it! Obviously written by someone who had done online or paper research but not actually been to lots of the places it spoke about, and where it did have information on suburbs (and lots aren't even mentioned in there), half the time I didn't recognise the places I knew in there from the descriptions, if that makes sense!

You can't really make a decision on a suburb to live in from reading any book, looking online, or asking strangers I'm afraid! You just have to look for yourself, and can only narrow things down a bit beforehand by finding out where you will be working, what you like doing, what sort of schools you are looking for etc etc.