Internet access, High volume, Free WIFI, mobile

Guest beeste

Guest beeste

I am a net addict and I need high volume file transfer for my job, home and social life. I'm coming to Adelaide next week...

Does anyone have any info on good places to get free wifi? (Ideally in the Flinders area.)

(I mean like McDonalds, Starbucks etc do in the UK)

Does anyone have a high quota, VoIP enabled fast account in Adelaide? I need an 8Meg or faster line and about 300-400Gb per month. I'm running Vonage, Video conferencing, VPNs and large file transfers. I can pay about $100 per month or so. Any suggestions? I AM intending to go outside sometimes too tho :cute:

Also, who's best for mobile skype-able broadband? [Needs to be HSDPA and reliable coverage.]

Many thanks

Free wifi here is painfully slow.

Depending on where you live will dictate your Internet connection speed. A lot of places in the metropolitan area can't even get ADSL2 due to bad cabling decisions made by Telstra.

TPG and Dodo offer unlimited ADSL2 if you can get it, if you are using Vonage I would imagine you would want a naked service.

Cheers

There's a McDonalds on Main South Road at Bedford Park, just down the road from Flinders. Presumably free wifi there.

If you are coming to stay, research the broadband options before you move to any area, to avoid disappointment. Even when companies say an area is OK, they can suddenly announce that there is no more room at the exchange!

Mobile Internet is patchy. I have tried Optus and iPrimus (which I think uses Optus mobile network anyway) and found them to be poor on the coast and in other areas (for example Goodwood). In trials that I helped to carry out, Telstra was better than Optus in most areas. It is more expensive, but might be worth it to guarantee Skype (especially video) performance.

I am a net addict and I need high volume file transfer for my job, home and social life. I'm coming to Adelaide next week...

Does anyone have any info on good places to get free wifi? (Ideally in the Flinders area.)

(I mean like McDonalds, Starbucks etc do in the UK)

Does anyone have a high quota, VoIP enabled fast account in Adelaide? I need an 8Meg or faster line and about 300-400Gb per month. I'm running Vonage, Video conferencing, VPNs and large file transfers. I can pay about $100 per month or so. Any suggestions? I AM intending to go outside sometimes too tho :cute:

Also, who's best for mobile skype-able broadband? [Needs to be HSDPA and reliable coverage.]

Many thanks

I know for sure that decent broadband is going to be sorely missed once in Adelaide. How my hubby coped there I shall never know. He says he knows a few companies worth trying but blimey, with being capped a standard thing I am already crying about it :arghh: We have no cap with our provider here and its really quick.

I found free wifi to be very poor when out and about round Adelaide. Far from the UK standards we are used to.

Good luck finding something decent. Post back here and let us know who you end up with if you don't mind :) Ta.

Guest Mitchell

I'm with Adam and testing my speed I get 6-8 meg. I used to get less than 3 in Bournemouth so I'm happy with that. They're cheap too and do voip. Most of my fellow geeks at work use them.

Guest Guest75
And you know (I guess you do) that insulting someone who asks a perfectly reasonable question on a forum says quite a lot about you.

OT but.....Hey Bill how's things???

Nice to see you pop your head in :D

Hi Tyke,

We are in the UK for a year so Cazzie can see her family for a change. I read regularly, but rarely post at the mo. Couldn't let this one go by though!

Bill

OT but.....Hey Bill how's things???

Nice to see you pop your head in :D