wooden items!

Guest jaxndel

Guest Mitchell

Yes you can bring wooden furniture. I would assume that instruments are ok too. It's cane furniture, Xmas decs with fir cones, etc that you cant bring. Check the customs site for docents and advice. If you're using a company they should be able to advise you. Don't put food or alcohol in your shipment or pack yourself as you will just be asking customs to take a good look at your shipment and delay it.

Guest Angie12

Hi Jax

Good thread :) just what i've been thinking about asking as i thou u couldn't take any wood stuff !!

Glad i haven't sold or given away something i would've regretted !:) lol

Cheers

Guest china

How do you know whether your wood is untreated? IS anything you would buy somewhere like barker and stonehouwse likely to be treated even if it isn't painted or varnished as such?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I am just thinkiing about our dining table!

Guest jaxndel
Hi Jax

Good thread :) just what i've been thinking about asking as i thou u couldn't take any wood stuff !!

Glad i haven't sold or given away something i would've regretted !:) lol

Cheers

Hi Angie, We thought you couldn't take wood etc but then I saw people saying they were taking/have taken wardrobes and beds across. I thought you had to have everything specially treated before you went. If that isn't the case then thats great - I shall ask a shipping company about my violins as I have about 10 to take lol. We have just bought a nice A4 book and we are going to start writing things to do when we get there and all the good sites we have heard about like fantasticfurniture.com.au etc - Could be useful. You should get your visas very soon :-)

Guest Mitchell

I brought really cheap Argos untreated pine bedroom furniture in no worries. The kind with the canvas covers. So long as it's bought in the UK as furniture it should be fine. Just be aware that you're supposed to own stuff for a year before bringing or you could be liable for duty.

Guest kangomik

Hey no question is stupid, we have all been there.

Ask away.

Treated wood is basically wood you buy in mass produced places, furniture etc. If it's been sealed with paint or varnish then it's usually classed as being ok to. No air means the bugs get killed.

Now the problem comes with Wicker and Ornaments bought from lets say africa or the likes and its been hand carved. This could have been stained and waxed, but not really sealed. So you could be in strife there.

I don't know if you could varnish stuff before you come :biglaugh:

Christmas stuff is the same, pine cones, wreaths etc............... it's not been sealed.

The bext thing is to speak with the shipping agent, they will tell you, and declare everything, it gets through customs so much easier.

Have fun packing, it's like Christmas Day when you get to unwrap it here.......... may sound silly but remember that one;)

as long as wooden items were bought out a shop or store & not put together out someones back yard , & full of woodworm holes or sawdust, might want to check picture frames if there wooden , they are very fussy , if there in good condition you will be ok , ask removal company when they visit if its worth risking shipping them, if so take out frame buy a new frame here if paranoid like my mrs . Hope all makes sense .

Guest Angie12
Hi Angie, We thought you couldn't take wood etc but then I saw people saying they were taking/have taken wardrobes and beds across. I thought you had to have everything specially treated before you went. If that isn't the case then thats great - I shall ask a shipping company about my violins as I have about 10 to take lol. We have just bought a nice A4 book and we are going to start writing things to do when we get there and all the good sites we have heard about like fantasticfurniture.com.au etc - Could be useful. You should get your visas very soon :-)

You should be fine with all your violins , your a very musical family then :o

I'm gonna have to sort out photo albums as i have some from St Lucia, which are made from local woods , shrubs etc what ever they used isn't gonna get into oz !! And don't need that hassel when we're there :biglaugh:

Snap, i've done the same and making loads of notes so we've got some idea of where to get stuff etc. I've been getting info on shipping as well, haven't looked into costs yet but read some of the threads on here , which has been really helpful , and i've got some details from one company called Anglo Pacific , i'm not sure how much yet but will let you know when i find out , also i would like a company with a good rep to avoid unnessesary breakages as this could be tragic !!

Yes fingers double crossed , very soon :biglaugh:

You guys wont be far behind us , howz all your plans going ??? Pm me :cute: