We're going home, we're going home!

Guest northernstar200

Guest northernstar200

Hi there, i just want to tell my story.

I really havent had much to say on here, but for once i have decided to bite the bullet and give you my story. What i do write in my story is the opinion of myself and not others.

Well we decided to move here, in 2009 after finding out that nurses were on the eanted list. We went to a leaving party of a friend of ours who were coming over, and i thought well that seems like a great idea. So around 12 months later we arrived.

When we first arrived we stayed in west beach caravan park in an eco tent, which i loved because to me the beginning of our journey was like being on a fab great holiday. We were a walk away from the beach, and just enjoyed camping and the sunshine.

We needed a house, as it was expensive at the caravan park. And getting a rental, was such a nightmare, it was a lot harder that we had ever expected, sometimes we would drive for ages, and get there only bto be also joined by about 30 other families, all who would of had refernces and a lot stronger case, for being given the rental. We eventually got a rental, it was the first one we were offered, so we took it, big mistake number one, it was a small tiny house, no where near a beach, not many families near us, many older people, who just wanted to keep themselves to themselves.

I started work, as a nurse at a private hospital, on a small oncology ward, to say it was differnt to my old job was an understatment, i went from working at a massive cancer hospital, a small oncology ward in a private hospital. I know we are supposed to come here and not compare one country to another, but when you start work this is excately what you do. The uniform should of given me a clue of what private hospital are like. They make you look like you work in a corporate environment, it is a business, and i do know that, but you get told this from day one. The doctor is who brings in the money and so you really have to obey and do what they say. We had to do a test thing on mannners and we are told that the client is always right, and that we should disagree with them, which sometimes is a very difficuly thing to do.

I moved jobs into a private community nursing post, all was well, hours to suit me, until the company lost a major tender, and so the work dimished. So jobs fr me here havent been as great as i anticipated.

My hubby came here with a lorry on his driving licence, when he went to change it at the driving place, even though he has been driving lorries for 15 years, they took it off his licence, and so he had to do more training and resit a test, just to tell him, yes you can drive a lorry, which costed us more money.

Schools - I was under the impression that children stay younger for longer here in sa, i have found this not to be the case. Again this is my own personal opinion, My eldest daughter came here, with good school grades, good hobbies such as guides, rangers, a great swimming club in the uk. After being her for nearly 12 months, her attitude has changed completely, and i know that teenage hormones could be to blame, but i feel that the relaxed way here has not helped my daughter at school, b we are not in the fortunate position to pay for private schools.

I am, and always have been a happy sorta person, easy going, enjoying life, and what ever happens, take it in my stride. Since we moved here, and i struggled for the past 3 months to get a job as a nurse, my mood and self esteems and really my whole personality has changed, i have felt low in mood, which in turn has made me miss and crave the uk even more than ever.

I thought we would come here and have more money to spend, but because i couldnt get a job, money has been tighter than ever.

I am going back penniless, and i do hope this time we have made the right desision, and i do have fond memories of the country.

I want to finnish this thread with the positives i am taking back home with me. I really do enjoy the infomal get togethers people have here, which we dont have in the uk. I will really miss having the beach ony a five minute walk away, blackpool is about 1 hour 15 mins away, and i dont think i could ever compare them lol. I will miss the great wines, and the fact that going to the beach for the whole day doesnt cost you a penny.

:o

Tracy, Andy, Beth n Jaz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best on your return to the Staylie Vagus UK.(Northern joke)

It was nice to meet you and if you ever come back feel free to call on us.

I was talking to someone who came over for a look round and could not find work as a nurse,

He went back and has been offered a job in Brizze.

Maybe one day you might return to OZ but somewhere different?

Ps are you selling anything?..........might get you some spends for the trip home...

Rob and Mel

Great story and very down to earth, I hope people in the UK that are on their way read this and realize that it is not all roses here.

I too have had a lot of the doubts that you have had, schools, money/cost of living, and just lately the crime, although my theory on this is that the news reports everything so you just hear more about it here, I'm quite sure if you lived in the middle of any city in the UK crime would be just if not more prevalent.

Sorry to hear it did not work out, but you can take the memories back with you, and at least you 'gave it a go'. There is plenty that wouldn't.

Good luck with your return.

I know when living overseas it can be really tough going if things like work and home are not settled. It gradually impacts on every aspect of life and can get a person down. So I can understand your wanting to return to the UK. Hope everything works out for you.

Guest teamV

Its hard for me and I would say a lot of other's on here to read your post , but I bet no were near as hard as it must be for you to right it,a lot of us are so excited about the chance to move to Oz and are checking every day to see how are's and everybody else's visa's are coming along .I don't think reading between the line's that any of us are coming out as so called cashed up brits ,I think all of us are going to have to work hard to survive.I think my main concern's are renting ,finding a decent job and schooling for my lads .

I can't imagine what ever anyone says putting a lot of us off ,I think being in britain for the last 2 years and being self employed I would move anywere:sad:.

I really hope that coming back works out for you and your family and good luck with what ever the future holds for you.

Kev.

Guest Nick11

I think yours is a great post and can identify with the culture shock of different attitudes to work and working conditions.

Good luck..hope you find what you are looking for

xxx

Guest northernstar200
All the best on your return to the Staylie Vagus UK.(Northern joke)

It was nice to meet you and if you ever come back feel free to call on us.

I was talking to someone who came over for a look round and could not find work as a nurse,

He went back and has been offered a job in Brizze.

Maybe one day you might return to OZ but somewhere different?

Ps are you selling anything?..........might get you some spends for the trip home...

Rob and Mel

Was nice to meet you all too. Maybe one day i will return, never say never is my motto.

Selling a few things, what are you after?:o

Guest northernstar200
Great story and very down to earth, I hope people in the UK that are on their way read this and realize that it is not all roses here.

I too have had a lot of the doubts that you have had, schools, money/cost of living, and just lately the crime, although my theory on this is that the news reports everything so you just hear more about it here, I'm quite sure if you lived in the middle of any city in the UK crime would be just if not more prevalent.

Sorry to hear it did not work out, but you can take the memories back with you, and at least you 'gave it a go'. There is plenty that wouldn't.

Thanks for your reply, i am of te though at least we have had an adventure, one of the longest holidays ever!

We gae it our best shot.

Tracy x

Guest northernstar200
Perhaps you can educate the locals into informal gatherings :) Once people find out how easy they are , they may get hooked.

its easy to say ur having a party here, cos people bring their own drink and most people bring some sorta food, cant go wrong, happy days!

Guest northernstar200
All the best and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all.....you can go back head held high and say we had a go....

Hope everything works our for you back in blighty....keep us posted...

Take care

HG

I hope it works out too in the uk, but i'm sure it will do.

Tracy x

Guest northernstar200
Where are you returning to in the UK? We are heading to Harrogate in May after 3 years here.

We are moving back to cheshire, good luck with your move!! hope all goes well.

Tracy x x

Guest northernstar200
Its hard for me and I would say a lot of other's on here to read your post , but I bet no were near as hard as it must be for you to right it,a lot of us are so excited about the chance to move to Oz and are checking every day to see how are's and everybody else's visa's are coming along .I don't think reading between the line's that any of us are coming out as so called cashed up brits ,I think all of us are going to have to work hard to survive.I think my main concern's are renting ,finding a decent job and schooling for my lads .

I can't imagine what ever anyone says putting a lot of us off ,I think being in britain for the last 2 years and being self employed I would move anywere:sad:.

I really hope that coming back works out for you and your family and good luck with what ever the future holds for you.

Kev.

I just wanted to give our view, and i know there are lots of people who come here and are settled really quickly, but as we know people who are loving it, and having a fantastic time, wouldnt be coming on forums and letting you know about it, so sometimes it comes across of peoples bad times, but i know from people here, there is lots of people who are loving it, and have built their own house and have a lot more money over here.

I am not saying it to put you off, i hope you understand this, but when we were coming out, i too read the people coming back to the uk, and their reasons and it didnt put us off, just made us more aware of what some people are experiencing.

I hope when you move here, it is all you are dreaming and wanting it to be.

Tracy x x

Guest jaxndel

Kev.

Well said Kev! Good luck to all the families moving back to the UK. Am I scared??? You bet! but both my hubby and I are self employed and things have been tough in the UK. At least we will have sunshine (hopefully). :chatterbox:

Guest jaxndel
I just wanted to give our view, and i know there are lots of people who come here and are settled really quickly, but as we know people who are loving it, and having a fantastic time, wouldnt be coming on forums and letting you know about it, so sometimes it comes across of peoples bad times, but i know from people here, there is lots of people who are loving it, and have built their own house and have a lot more money over here.

I am not saying it to put you off, i hope you understand this, but when we were coming out, i too read the people coming back to the uk, and their reasons and it didnt put us off, just made us more aware of what some people are experiencing.

I hope when you move here, it is all you are dreaming and wanting it to be.

Tracy x x

Thanks Tracy, I knew it wasn't going to be easy over in Oz but didn't realise it was going to be difficult to get housing. I was worried about which school to put my son in. Now I am just praying we get a house. It has opened my eyes - so I thank you for that. It has been very difficult for us as a family for the past 5 years but at least we have a house. This thread will hopefully just make us more determined to make it work. Good luck to you when you come back to the UK. Hope you will be happy x

I guess we're well qualified to see both sides of the arguement here. I can understand how difficult it is when you're short of money and your job prospects are few and far between and also how much the appeal of home can influence your decisions.

Whatever your reasons, we wish you much happiness and luck when you return. Only you know what the right thing is to do for you and your family. Best wishes to you all.

I think you are very brave to have made this decision, and as someone above said,. you can hold your heads high that you gave it your best shot.

One of the important things about this forum is for people to see all sides of the picture, not just the "life through rose-coloured glasses" picture. So thanks for sharing your experiences of what must have been a painful time for you all.

All the best for your future.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hey hold ya head up high.

Its better to have tried than always wonder what if ?

Gotta admit it wasnt quiet as shock to me to find out that my HGV and PSV wasnt valid here as i contacted the service SA before we arrived to check.

The private hospital you worked at to start with wasnt one on wakefield street by any chance, my ex worked there in theaters and was less than impressed with it so went to work at flinders.

Anyways im seriously sorry that things hasnt worked out for you as you had hoped or planned but you never know thins change in life and you might even come back again one day.

I hope your return to the UK is a happy one

What an honest, even-handed post. I agree with so much of what you've written and had I not landed a good job just a few weeks after arriving I doubt we'd have stuck it this far. We've had a house built and have no (immediate) plans to move on/back, but if we ever do it will be for similar reasons.

Good luck, Jim

Guest tpgc03

Hi Northern Star,

I was so sad to read that things have not gone your way and that you are moving back to the UK. We met you (Tracey) at a poms in Adelaide meet-up and you and you are such a lovely positive family. I admire you for giving it a go as many people don't have the courage to take a risk. Moving to the other side of the world is not easy and it is true that you have good and bad days. But I also reckon a little bit of good luck and being at the right place at the right time helps with settling and making a new life. I wish you goodluck and hope that you finally feel settled and happy.