Going back for the first time

kildorragh

Returning to the UK for the first time in over four years on Tuesday for a short trip.

So many people have told me that it has changed even in such a short time.

Looking forward to meeting up with a few good people again - that is the one thing that you lose when you emigrate - the history you have shared with your mates. No mater how settled you feel over here - the closeness can never be repeated.

Butterflies. Big time.

Enjoy yourself, there'll be so many little things that you've completely forgotten about, memories come flooding back, it's a really fun experience. That feeling of stepping off the plane and being surrounded by familiar smells, sounds, accents etc. I love it, though after a couple of weeks I've had my fix and I'm more than ready to get back on the plane.

Be warned, lots of people will want to be meeting up at weekends due to work commitments, it can be rather frustrating, so be prepared to just wander round on your own during weekdays.

Also if you're driving, take a deep breath before you set out. After Australias nice wide city roads, you may feel slightly claustrophobic on urban roads in the UK, the other cars are very close to you. Motorways are great though, people actually keep left unless overtaking!

Maybe you are afraid that you are going to like it too much, and want to move back!!

I've been back and forth over the last 19 years and although I am quite at peace with my decision to live here now, I still think the UK is a great place and my heart will always be there. Just enjoy it and make the most of being back in familiar surroundings. Some things will have changed, others won't. You won't know all the personalities on TV anymore, and people will talk about news events/TV/music etc and you won't have a clue what they are talking about. People will have changed and moved on, you are no longer an every day part of their lives now and they have adapted to life without you, which can feel a bit weird as you expect things to be the same as you remember them, and they won't be. Be prepared also that some people won't be the slightest bit interested in what you have been doing in Australia. That's normal.

Hope you have a great time!

I think you will enjoy the whole experience.I went back last year for 5 weeks after 22 months here,and loved every second of it.I like it here ,and also there.That is a very comforting situation for me and my Family.Go with the flow is my advice,and have a great time.:D

Guest moonraker1959

I'm sure everything will be fine.It amazes me that some people who return to the UK(whether for a holiday or permanantly)state that people they know are doing the same thing,that not alot changes!What do people expect them to be doing?Look every time I have returned to SA,yes people I know are still doing the same thing they did when I left!Still going to work,still drinking in the same pubs,still going on holiday to the same places!:cute:Life is life,no matter where you live and we're all basically doing similar things!lol When I return to SA I tend to focus more on the positive aspects and I think its best to do this when you visit the UK,but unfortunately for some people its hard to do,and I guess its easier for them to do this so it validates their reasons for being in Australia.Best of luck and have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Got back this morning - to be honest, as the plane flew over Adelaide, I knew I was home.

London was just the same as I'd left it although rush hour at Waterloo station was an experience I'd totally forgotten about.

Pickled onion flavoured monster munch were devoured every day, a few too many guinesses were sank (been out of that game too long) and plenty of laughing.

Was only there for a week so packed a lot of visiting in - good too catch up with old mates but I soon realised that I now belonged in Adelaide.

Good to be back home.

Guest moonraker1959
Got back this morning - to be honest, as the plane flew over Adelaide, I knew I was home.

London was just the same as I'd left it although rush hour at Waterloo station was an experience I'd totally forgotten about.

Pickled onion flavoured monster munch were devoured every day, a few too many guinesses were sank (been out of that game too long) and plenty of laughing.

Was only there for a week so packed a lot of visiting in - good too catch up with old mates but I soon realised that I now belonged in Adelaide.

Good to be back home.

Glad to hear you're glad to be back,atleast you know where you belong,alot of folk don't.Not surprised to hear about Waterloo,it is one of the busiest stations in the world!