well its been a while!!!!!

Guest shellj

Guest shellj

Hi there, as the title says it has been a while... for those who don't remember us we moved to Perth Nov 08 it did not go well...our did not sell, so we rented it out... the people in it did not pay the rent... even though we used a estate agent...My o/h could not find work it was the start of the downturn in oz... i was working but one income was not enough to keep a family afloat...so we decided to go home to save our home... which we did... we still have our 175 visa till sept 12... we are wondering whether should we give it another go... we been back in the UK 3 yrs in Jan... all is going well my o/h is a plasterer his work is really busy... I am a chef manager... our 2 children Soph nearly 19 has full time work Jess nearly 16 just finishing school... Oz still has a big pull for us do we give it another go while we still can?... Or do we try to be happy with our lot?... shellx

I don't know Shell, sounds like you have a lot going for you in the UK right now. Everyone is in work, your eldest is old enough to stay in the UK if thats what they wish (which be a big pull for you if you did emigrate) and life sounds good for you.

I'm sorry to be blunt but living here in Australia is no piece of cake. Its bloody hard work, and expensive here, especially now for new migrants coming across with the exchange rate and if you have no guarentee of work......well you might be in the same position as before?

Sorry to be negative but I see a lot of families come across with rose tinted glasses on, only to discover that they were better off in the UK.

Maybe come over for a reccie to Adelaide and see what kind of life you can have now? I think you'll find a lot has changed since 08 too.

Best of luck

Judi

Guest Guest5035

Sorry to be negative but I see a lot of families come across with rose tinted glasses on, only to discover that they were better off in the UK.

Best of luck

Judi

quite correct, do a 3 week reccie.

stevo

Sorry to be negative ...

I don't see your points as negative - just a very honest appraisal and one that I agree with. If I were considering a move right now and things were going well in the UK, I'd need a compelling reason to come here.

Money isn't everything, I know, but the financial side was one of the things that made this such an attractive proposition in the past, but now that property prices here are so much higher than they were just five years or so ago, utility prices are climbing ever higher, food prices high (imho), and the exchange rate awful, it all carries considerable weight when trying to decide whether to make the move.

Jim

Thanks Jim, yes your right.

I should have written "its probably not what you want to hear BUT........" :goofy:

Not negative, (unfortunatly) just the truth. :o

Judi

I totally agree. If things are going well in the UK stay there. We feel that Oz is now suffering the effects of the economic downturn. My hubby is a Hospitality Trainer, no or little work out there so he's gone back to Cheffing again! Resulting in a $20k drop in salary. I've been retrenched too and its taken 2 months to even get an interview with anyone! At this rate, we will have to sell up and move out of our dream house which is not what we want to do but it doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Guest guest4504

" We feel that Oz is now suffering the effects of the economic downturn. "

More have been leaning towards this thought lately rather than Oz is an economy of its own and will not be brought down. Hope all goes OK with home, if economy slows down maybe rates will lower so that may help ? I could help your hubby in his work with my appetite !

Guest shellj

thanks for all you're replies, I guess living in aus is just as expensive as the u.k. like you say its not about the money, its the lifestyle but the bills still need paying!!! I hate being in this position not being able to decide one way or another, once bitten and all that. A reccie yes defo, that might put this baby to bed once and for all. Deus help hubby with work????

Guest BurgessFamily

There is a lot of talk about a two speed economy here, and there are some areas of the economy which are more or less in recession - despite the overall economy appearing to be 'booming'.

There looks to be a major downturn in construction, and property prices may well fall. In addition the government is keen to deliver a minerals tax, alongside a carbon tax (prior to a ETS). These may very well have a similar impact to the Poll tax in the UK - there are a lot of unknowns.

One thing is for certain, if there is a downturn in the economy here, there is no money left in the coffers to cover it - it's all gone on 'flat screen tvs', loft insulation, first home buyers bonus grants, and 'overpriced' classroom extensions.

The government is intent on delivering better broadband with the NBN, but the costs of this is expected to blow out - which will need to be covered by tax payers. They've already halted the tender process because all bids were well over what they'd budgeted for.

These are just some of the challenges facing the economy here, and causing a high degree of concern.

As a family, you sound very secure where you are (in the UK), and i would therefore recommend caution in 'giving it all up' to come out here now.

But... what is life without risk?? :goofy:

Guest shellj

Well thats a lot to think about... Politics always there to bring you back down to earth... :goofy: Thanks for that... yes we have a stable life at present... but cant pinpoint what it is that pulls us back to aus...:notworthy: