Volunteer required

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember some time ago i posted requesting volunteers for a company i work for who support people with intellectual disabilities.

Thanks to people on this site we have had some success stories.

I am posting again as we have a young man who lives in the Glenelg North area, he is fairly independant, his passions are dogs, cats and he enjoys watching the Crows. He also enjoy's going out to cafe's and is partial to a beer! He enjoy's going to the cinema and would like to try fishing and various other activities.

He would love to get out and about more and is looking for a volunteer to maybe spare a few hours a week or fortnight to help him acheive some of his goals.

If anyone is interested in giving up some time please feel free to PM me for more details, we also have people in other areas requiring volunteers.

Thanks Jo :notworthy:

Guest Guest75

I'm now fully involved with this program now.

It's very relaxed and unnofficial.

I have a lovely friend who I visit fortnightly.

He is very gentle and funny and loves a bit of "bloke" company.

My eventual goal is to get him out on the boat but that will need some time between us.

It's very humbling ,enjoyable and a learning experience.

I reckon I'm getting more out of this friendship!!

It's very easy, you don't have to be a special kind of person,just caring,attentive and considerate.

I've had an awful lot of comments similar to "Oh,I couldn't do anything like that". Not in a nasty way but I feel people think it's too hard.

Just be yourself,be a friend.

What a great post Tyke, and so true, volunteering is so rewarding and enjoyable

however busy you think you are an hour or two every week or so is a great use of your time and you get so much back.

Hope you get some good responses Jo

good on ya

Kim

Guest helene73

I would love to do something like this.

Here in the uk I am a trustee of a local brain cancer charity http://www.elliesfund.com and their fundraising coordinator, I also work with our youth committee inspiring them to fundraise and getting them invalid with our charities events. I find it very fulfilling and rewarding :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks Tyke,

He always looks forward to your visit's and you hit the nail on the head, the key is being yourself.

I hope people think about it and give it a go, it is very rewarding and both parties can get a great deal out of it.

If anyone has any questions i am happy to meet up for a coffee and go through it in more detail, explain a bit more about the company and project and if you want first hand experience i am sure Tyke will be happy to share his experience.

Thanks Jo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nick11

I'm going to shamelessly bump this thread.

I voluteered through Jo's company and have had a great time. Made a smashing new friend, who's honesty, cheerfulness and fantastic out take on life puts others to shame.

I get to go shopping, go to the pics and even a port adelaide game is on the cards. As much or a little time as you want.

It's a great way to make new friends and get involved in giving something back to the community.

Guest Nick11
I'm now fully involved with this program now.

It's very relaxed and unnofficial.

I have a lovely friend who I visit fortnightly.

He is very gentle and funny and loves a bit of "bloke" company.

My eventual goal is to get him out on the boat but that will need some time between us.

It's very humbling ,enjoyable and a learning experience.

I reckon I'm getting more out of this friendship!!

It's very easy, you don't have to be a special kind of person,just caring,attentive and considerate.

I've had an awful lot of comments similar to "Oh,I couldn't do anything like that". Not in a nasty way but I feel people think it's too hard.

Just be yourself,be a friend.

Quite right Tyke. Your friend has me in stitches when ever I go round there.