what satnav?

Guest mOZzy

ok guys,

we want to buy a satnav but are wondering which one?!?!

SO

give me your opinions please

which one have you got? good points and bad points ...

oh, and it needs to be australia compatible ;)

appreciate it :cute:

ok guys,

SO

oh, and it needs to be australia compatible ;)

appreciate it :cute:

I have been using a tom tom 1 for 2 years, never let me down does everthing I need it to and will work in aus(with a new card). It is very easy to use, all touch screen , it can give you up to date traffic info and re-route you if connected to a bluetooth phone. Has hotels, garages, cash points ect in memory and speed camera locations can be downloaded.

Other models can do more, but if all you want is to find your way around without any fuss I would highly reccommend this model.

Simon

Guest chillyanna

hi

i have been using the tom tom 510 for over a year now and it's great. the only time it goes wrong is when the road layout has been changed or altred but it soon finds the right way in a few seconds, it also has bluetooth to use with mobile phones as a hands free and when you select a point of interest to navigate to like a hotel or tourist attraction it will give you the option to call direct from the phone number listed with the attractions details.

i dont think i would use any other brand. and when i take it to adelaide i will buy and down load the australia map ready. oh and it also has speed cameras but it is £20 a year subscription for them. i connect it to the internet every week to update the satellite locations for the next week to enable fast finding of the satellites and any new speed camera locations.

good luck with you choice.

paul

ok guys,

SO

oh, and it needs to be australia compatible

appreciate it

I have a "copy";)of TomTom6 on a PDA which works fine, have a downloaded copy of Aus maps which i am looking forward to trying. Have used downloaded maps of Europe and USA which work great so hopeful that Oz maps will work fine.

Tomtom is a good one that i know many people use. There are many on the market that are proberbly just as good. May be an idea to check what ones have the Oz maps available and obviously cost.

Then there is always the one that sponsers a well known driving instructor from up north:D;) Aparently always takes you the scenic route!!!!!!

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya Lisa,

Can I ask, did you buy the Tom Tom in the UK and buy the maps when over in Oz?

Or can you download them whilst you are already in UK.

Halfords have some great sale offers on at the moment on satnav's but I don't want to get stung with one that I can't use when we get to Oz. The majority seem to come "Europe" ready and I haven't seen any mention of International usage.

Any advice would be good - I think I have decided on a tomtom rather than any of the others already mentioned.

Hi we bought a tom tom one when we arrived here and its been a godsend! I would echo Lisa's sentiments though when she said that it gets a bit confused with the one way expressway! Saying that we still get confused with it! I looked to buy one in the Uk and the maps were available to download from tom tom's website for about £50. We paid $330 for ours if that helps sway the decision

Hope this helps

Lindsey

Guest Martin and Val

Hi,

We purchased a Tom Tom 500, a few years ago and just prior to our visit to Aus earlier this year we bought a download of the Aus maps from Tom Tom. We paid on-line in Euro's and it worked out a Little over £100. We then had to buy an SD Card to load the maps on which were a bit pricey. Good old Tesco came to the rescue with an SD Card for about a £10 and it was just the job.

We took out the card that came with the unit replaced it with the new one and loaded the maps into it. We were then able to sit at home in England and pre-plan our route prior to arrival in Aus.

We drove from Adelaide to Sydney via the Great Ocean Road and it took us door to door all the way without any problems apart from once when I didn't believe it was right and I went the wrong way onto a toll road. (Not Tom Tom's fault I should have done what it told me!)

We are going again in Jan and Feb 2008 and will definitely be taking it again, without doubt it was money well spent.

I'm not sure if the newer Tom Tom models have an SD Card slot or not but Halfords were very helpful when we bought ours originally so I'm sure they can advise on the best one currently available.

Just remember when you arrive in Aus and turn it on, it may not work until you press the very small reset button on the base of the unit and it will then look for satellites and all will be fine.

Highly recommended a worth while purchase.

Good luck

Martin and Val 12_7_21.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Guest graandjac

;)Hi Suzi we have a Mitec Mio which most people have never heard of, but it matches the whole tom tom range product wise and is cheeper we have the 510 which i have checked i can get oz maps( they say 98%of oz) , and will cost £70.00.

Have had it for 2 years now and is spot on, not sure about oz but here all speed cameras are inc and it has free updates for a year.

Dont forget the UBD map of Adelaide , not far off as good as a satnav a MUST have,

Happy new year Cheers Graham

Guest dglamoore
Hiya Lisa,

Can I ask, did you buy the Tom Tom in the UK and buy the maps when over in Oz?

Or can you download them whilst you are already in UK.

Halfords have some great sale offers on at the moment on satnav's but I don't want to get stung with one that I can't use when we get to Oz. The majority seem to come "Europe" ready and I haven't seen any mention of International usage.

Any advice would be good - I think I have decided on a tomtom rather than any of the others already mentioned.

Hiya

We bought the 910 in the uk. We chose this one as it had a hard drive and at the time could just buy and download the aussie maps online. We used it in the UK for a while to get used to it - worth its weight in gold when we got here and started looking for rentals :o Still use it for getting out and about on days out :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest Denise 42

Hi

I brought a Tom Tom when i got to Adelaide works great but like the person said wish it said when the expressway was closed, cant remember how much i paid for it but can find out if you like?

But would not have found way around without it, loads of people say Adelaide is easy to find way around with street map thats if you can read the map in first place, and anyway i'm the worsed for getting lost then taking it out on the Husband so made a much quiter life.

Denise