• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The water here

Title
      Liked
      130 times
      Rep
      Peoples' bodies get used to the normal organisms and bacteria found in their local water. These are things your body can handle. Your body is NOT used to strange organisms found in water from other parts of the world. It's not that that water is "bad" - it's just that it's different. Your body is very sensitive to strange organisms, and tries to fight off anything strange. Your body therefore gets tummy issues and flu symptoms during that battle.

The best way to prevent this battle from beginning is to make sure that the water you drink is clear from any strange bacteria. There are two ways you can do this. One is to drink only bottled water, which is filtered before it is bottled. The second is a filter, simply filter the water before you drink it.

Bottled water is a nice option - but it is expensive. Whether you buy it at the supermarket and lug it home, you're going to pay high prices for that water. In some cases bottled water costs more, per litre, than gas does! You could drink 1,000 litres of tap water for what you pay for a bottle of bottled water. Not forgetting the environmental impacts on the processing of plastic bottles.

Is it better?

Title
      Liked
      133 times
      Rep
      So if a filter eradicates all the problems with the tap water, why don't they just install one at the treatment plant or pumping stations & give everyone filtered water??

Title
      Liked
      266 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
      Don't want to steer this topic away from the original subject, but there was a thing on the radio this week (I must stop listening to talkback radio!!) about fertilisers that are sprayed on crops in some other state - a local doctor noticed a rise in the number of people with stomach complaints. She sent off some samples for tests and found many people were infected with parasites that you only get from ingesting faecal matter...!!! The fertiliser was made of treated sewage. That's how they'd got the parasites, eating lettuces for instance that hadn't been thoroughly washed and may have invisible traces of the fertiliser on them - ewwwwww!!

Then she said, in passing, "SA have been using these same fertilisers since 1998" (or something - may have the exact year wrong)....Reading the tales of those of you that have suffered health problems reminded me of that!

Ok - back to water....

Reminds me of Doc Martain

Quote Originally Posted by Pesty650 View Post
      So if a filter eradicates all the problems with the tap water, why don't they just install one at the treatment plant or pumping stations & give everyone filtered water??
      Cos then puratap wouldn't get all that money of us;) why sell one big puratap when you can sell lots . and as Diane said all their blinking advert!! aaarrggghhhh
      Last edited by tina&steve; 14-05-2011 at 10:31 AM.
      Guest75 and Diane like this.
      Got 175 visa 18th April 08
      landed on planet Adelaide 26th Oct 08 LOVE IT!!

Title
      Liked
      133 times
      Rep
      I won't buy a puratap on principle as I am sick of their adverts.
      Diane likes this.

Title
      Liked
      588 times
      Rep
      In the short term before getting a filter (do they not have water filter jugs over there ala Brita?) you could boil your water and let it cool before drinking, that would also get rid of any bacteria etc your body is not used to dealing with.
      Our 33,000km ish trip around Oz - have a look here (also good for tips on equipment and holiday places ) Our moving and living here blog :)

Title
      Liked
      76 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide_bound View Post
      In the short term before getting a filter (do they not have water filter jugs over there ala Brita?) you could boil your water and let it cool before drinking, that would also get rid of any bacteria etc your body is not used to dealing with.
      Yes they do have Brita jugs over here and we always use them to filter our drinking water. Even when we go camping. Ours use a 'maxtra' filter. So don't throw away your jugs before leaving the UK as you can get filters for them in Adelaide.

PS We'd love a puratap but don't have enough room under our sink for one.
      snifter and Adelaide_bound like this.

Title
      Port Noarlunga, Adelaide, South Australia
      Liked
      1907 times
      Rep
      Really interesting.
      We have the Brita filters in all the houses and use them ourselves. I use them for the water for cooking. However, they don't work with my OH's stomach issues...he still gets cramps with the filtered water but not the 10 litre supermarket water. The fridges have filters for the water and ice dispensers but the ice cubes have the same effect. There's obviously something that the cartridge filters don't take out that makes him sick.

I don't have a puratap for the same reason...figured that whatever the cartridge doesn't remove...the puratap wouldn't either? Maybe I should boil the water and try that to see if it's a bug rather than high calcium or other minerals? The rest of the family is fine.

Tamara
      Adelaide Furnished Rentals. MIGRANT and HOLIDAY HOMES with unlimited internet in popular PORT NOARLUNGA. Walk to beaches, shops, stations. McLaren Vale 12, city 30 mins, beaches 2 mins away. Longer rentals (3 to 12 month) at discounted rates. Australian Business Number: 65261457068

www.homesdownunder.com.au

Title
      Liked
      130 times
      Rep
      They do http://www.sawater.com.au/sawater/ed...filtration.htm
      Pesty650 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      130 times
      Rep
      I won't buy a puratap on principle as I am sick of their adverts.
      Plenty of others available that don't advertise and that are cheaper, visit your local hardware store for further information.
      Diane and Pesty650 like this.

Title
      Liked
      130 times
      Rep
      A little known fact about south australian mains water

The addition of fluoride to drinking water is primarily done to reduce the overall amount of dental decay (cavities). This addition has been happening since 1945 in the United States and in parts of South Australia since 1971.

makes you wonder if these domestic filters remove the good and bad elements. I know we would all agree with anything that promotes less dental visits.

•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast