The water here

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

What is it with the water here? There's a nasty stench to it all the time and since we've been here, my wife and have been breaking out in zits!

Guest Guest75

Typical Adelaide water - it has to be fairly well treated at the moment as a lot comes out of the Murray.

Don't worry, the expensive eco destroying blot on the landscape called the Desalination plant will be giving a different taste to the water............ "Bitter" I's guess by the amount taxpayers will have to chip in:skeptical:

I've tasted the water from the desal & its quite drinkable, dare I say better than the current tap water.

Whether you like it or not, the growing population here means the desal will be needed in future drought years. Plenty of other places around the world have them and they produce a reliable source of water. Nothing else can be relied on here.

The cost is the price you pay for living here & contributing to the increasing population. The alternative is to move somewhere wetter, like the UK for example :eek:

Guest Squareman

Mmmmm interesting comments there lads. Think i'll try some water out the tap at work and compare. I usually drink water from the cooler thingy which is purified etc

Guest guest569
I've tasted the water from the desal & its quite drinkable, dare I say better than the current tap water.

Whether you like it or not, the growing population here means the desal will be needed in future drought years. Plenty of other places around the world have them and they produce a reliable source of water. Nothing else can be relied on here.

The cost is the price you pay for living here & contributing to the increasing population. The alternative is to move somewhere wetter, like the UK for example :eek:

Spot on !! :notworthy: Like the ozzies say " Love it or leave !!!"

Guest Squareman

Why do so many posts on here end up like this?

'Love it or leave?' What an over the top statement to bring in to a discussion about a desal plant. I dunno.....

There was a rumour that there were two ports in the world that sailors refused to top up their ship water supply from: one was Delhi and the other was Adelaide!

Get a water filter on your tap - it's well worth it (if you're a practical type, you can get one from Bunnings that you fit yourself rather than put more money into Puratap's pockets to make more irritating adverts!)

After writing this I got an email about catchoftheday's offer today: here it is if you're interested - http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/ but as the website name implies, probably only available today!

Guest rich

Typical conversation on PIA:

"I have an issue i'd like an honest and friendly opinion on and it is this..."

"If you don't like it, go home, ra ra ra ra"

Hi there,

On the subject of water!!!

The water is foul. The water seems to be really hard? All the filters on the taps, washing machines, fridges etc very quickly accumulate deposits in them.

My OH dumped us here 4 years ago and then flew in and out...every time he was here he was sick. Lot's of stomach cramps and IBS. It became a standard joke that Adelaide made him sick until we pinned it down to the water. He was stationed at a remote township years ago and the water was supplied from aqufers and he was sick then as well. The rest of the family is fine but the taste is suspect!

We buy the 10 litre containers and everything is fine!

Tamara

This post is about Adelaide water tasting foul, NOT about the desal plant!!!!!

Yes the water does taste horrible in certain parts of Adelaide, it is renowned for that, especially in the Glenelg area - you can taste the chemicals. However, buying a puratap or filter will erradicate this problem.

The water here is very heavily chlorinated....some days you can smell it more than others. My skin is always dry here, and I break out as well. I try not to drink too much of the tap water (although I suspect our bodies would eventually get used to it).

Don't want to steer this topic away from the original subject, but there was a thing on the radio this week (I must stop listening to talkback radio!!) about fertilisers that are sprayed on crops in some other state - a local doctor noticed a rise in the number of people with stomach complaints. She sent off some samples for tests and found many people were infected with parasites that you only get from ingesting faecal matter...!!! The fertiliser was made of treated sewage. That's how they'd got the parasites, eating lettuces for instance that hadn't been thoroughly washed and may have invisible traces of the fertiliser on them - ewwwwww!!

Then she said, in passing, "SA have been using these same fertilisers since 1998" (or something - may have the exact year wrong)....Reading the tales of those of you that have suffered health problems reminded me of that!

Ok - back to water....

Peoples' bodies get used to the normal organisms and bacteria found in their local water. These are things your body can handle. Your body is NOT used to strange organisms found in water from other parts of the world. It's not that that water is "bad" - it's just that it's different. Your body is very sensitive to strange organisms, and tries to fight off anything strange. Your body therefore gets tummy issues and flu symptoms during that battle.

The best way to prevent this battle from beginning is to make sure that the water you drink is clear from any strange bacteria. There are two ways you can do this. One is to drink only bottled water, which is filtered before it is bottled. The second is a filter, simply filter the water before you drink it.

Bottled water is a nice option - but it is expensive. Whether you buy it at the supermarket and lug it home, you're going to pay high prices for that water. In some cases bottled water costs more, per litre, than gas does! You could drink 1,000 litres of tap water for what you pay for a bottle of bottled water. Not forgetting the environmental impacts on the processing of plastic bottles.

Is it better?

Don't want to steer this topic away from the original subject, but there was a thing on the radio this week (I must stop listening to talkback radio!!) about fertilisers that are sprayed on crops in some other state - a local doctor noticed a rise in the number of people with stomach complaints. She sent off some samples for tests and found many people were infected with parasites that you only get from ingesting faecal matter...!!! The fertiliser was made of treated sewage. That's how they'd got the parasites, eating lettuces for instance that hadn't been thoroughly washed and may have invisible traces of the fertiliser on them - ewwwwww!!

Then she said, in passing, "SA have been using these same fertilisers since 1998" (or something - may have the exact year wrong)....Reading the tales of those of you that have suffered health problems reminded me of that!

Ok - back to water....

Reminds me of Doc Martain :biglaugh:

So if a filter eradicates all the problems with the tap water, why don't they just install one at the treatment plant or pumping stations & give everyone filtered water??

Cos then puratap wouldn't get all that money of us;) why sell one big puratap when you can sell lots :goofy:. and as Diane said all their blinking advert!! aaarrggghhhh

Guest Adelaide_bound

In the short term before getting a filter (do they not have water filter jugs over there ala Brita?) you could boil your water and let it cool before drinking, that would also get rid of any bacteria etc your body is not used to dealing with.