Finding it hard to get a job?

Moosh

You are not the only ones.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/age-lack-of-skills-among-issues-dashing-south-australians-hopes-of-securing-jobs/comments-e6frea83-1226056349369

I work in Admin and unfortunately was made redundant from my job in March. For the first time ever, I have found it difficult to get a job. It's taken me two months to get another job but that's not bad going compared to others who were made redundant with me.

It has nothing to do with our nationalities, more to do with age. I took my DOB off my CV and I'm only 38!

Guest Hangaroundgirl

Hi, in this town its about networks. There is a fabulous HR consultant at Hender Consulting called Andrew Reed. If you ever see his name on an ad, then go for it as you will find him not only empathetic but he is a thinker and understands networks.

I am an employer of 100 people. i had a woman come and see me desperate for work in our industry. We didn't have anything that suited, but I urged her to stay in touch because you never know. Haven't heard from her since. Her loss, I would have found something for her by now.

its hard, but best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Guest BurgessFamily

I would definitely say that just because a job is on the 'demand' list, doesn't mean there's lots of jobs for it in the area you want to be.

what really gets on tits is the when you send your CV/resume into companies then you hear jack from them...this really really bloody annoys me.....

Or when you get in touch with an agency with regard to an actual vacancy then hear nothing for 3 months....IMO agancies are worth nothing....am thinking of getting a job in recruiting just to show them how to be courteous some them really do take the pi55....

Rant over...haha

HG

Guest Opportunities
Hi, in this town its about networks. There is a fabulous HR consultant at Hender Consulting called Andrew Reed. If you ever see his name on an ad, then go for it as you will find him not only empathetic but he is a thinker and understands networks.

I am an employer of 100 people. i had a woman come and see me desperate for work in our industry. We didn't have anything that suited, but I urged her to stay in touch because you never know. Haven't heard from her since. Her loss, I would have found something for her by now.

its hard, but best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Just a shot in the dark... My husband is a tradie(Welder) who specializes in Stainless Steel (Tig Welding), any pointers to companies maybe looking to hiring or employment agencies. I have made a note of Hender Consulting.

We only arrive the first week in December 2011 and that is normally the shutdown time for the manufacturing industries, not the ideal time for OH to be looking for work though!

Any advice...?

Karen

:idea:

The "staying in touch" thing is a biggie here. I started off temping, and then when I'd done a couple of courses, dropped a quick line to the places I'd temped at to let them know, and that's how I ended up where I am now.

A quick email or phone call takes so little time and can pay big dividends.

On the subject of Recruitment Consultants though, I like this: http://thenewaustralian.org/?p=14

Guest leemina

Just after some advice on the line of jobs. My hubby is a pre-press tradesperson, he's concerned about the job situation, he's a young looking 42, just wondered if anyone had any tips or contacts in this line of work over there. He says he'll go and visit the companies that we've found on the web that do this sort of work, but just thought it was worth a punt posting this. I'm a nurse so hopefully (fingers crossed) will have good chance of finding work. Thanks

I forgot to add that I got my new job through the website www.linkedin.com and I received quite a lot of enquiries through this website. I registered with 5 agencies who all advertised a job that I am able to do, obviously these jobs didn't exist, they call you up, get you in to register and you never hear from them again!

Also, I have recently heard that if you want to work up at Olympic Dam, you should contact Workpac as they are doing a lot of the recruiting up there.

Guest mlissiman

Leemina - I really, really don't want to put a negative spin on for you as we really, really love it here - but my husband and I came here in August 2008 as his skills in pre-press were on the 'wanted' list. He'd had over 17 years experience in the trade but when we arrived here could not find work in the print industry. He ended up completely re-training and is in the police force as they were simply no jobs in print.

Guest leemina
Leemina - I really, really don't want to put a negative spin on for you as we really, really love it here - but my husband and I came here in August 2008 as his skills in pre-press were on the 'wanted' list. He'd had over 17 years experience in the trade but when we arrived here could not find work in the print industry. He ended up completely re-training and is in the police force as they were simply no jobs in print.

Hi

Dont worry about the negative spin on things for my hubby, he's under no illusions that he may struggle to find work, but we're looking on the positives at the mo. He's also mentioned retraining over there if it comes to it, he's actually quite excited about the challenge, as he's worked basically for the same firm for the past 21 years. Thanks for the info. x

Funny my hubby done the same, but he could get lots of work just rubbish money so he joined the police something he wanted to do in the UK but never got the chance to:policeman:

Just after some advice on the line of jobs. My hubby is a pre-press tradesperson, he's concerned about the job situation, he's a young looking 42, just wondered if anyone had any tips or contacts in this line of work over there. He says he'll go and visit the companies that we've found on the web that do this sort of work, but just thought it was worth a punt posting this. I'm a nurse so hopefully (fingers crossed) will have good chance of finding work. Thanks

Hi Leemina

I've sent you a PM regarding your husbands line of work

;)