2 weeks in!

Willber

Well we arrived here on the 3rd May after a reasonable journey from Manchester. The flights were good and being on the A380 all the way from Heathrow made it a liitle easier with kids(more room). One thing we weren't in for was the amount of paperwork you have to fill in and the amount of money you have to dish out in your first few days of being here (ambulance cover, car hire, buying a car ....)

The job front has gone well i start my new job on Tuesday and my wife is almost into a job as well.

My daughter has started school, loves it, and my son starts Kindy full time soon.

One thing i have learnt is you really need to put yourself out to get going here, people are friendly and you can soon be having a conversation about your life with a complete stranger:biglaugh:

We are staying in Tamaras Riverview Cottage in Port Noarlunga and its great, the only slight downside is my job is 'up north' so bit of a drive for work.

As for getting work i applied for jobs that i new i could do, even if it wasnt exactly what i was after, i think its better to be flexible at first then you have got your feet under the table then you can be picky if you want a change.

Any way all is good and we love it here :D

For those back in the UK still waiting for visa's and SS etc good luck:)

The Willis'

Brilliant your in work and you have hit the ground running and topping it off with a gorgeous afternoon. There is so much to do when you first get here it's manic but make sure you have enjoyed it too :-)

All you need now is your long term rental and your set, good luck

Michelle

Guest Shaun O

Just about to send in my qualifications and info to TRA as Im a painter and decorator. Is this the first place to start? Any help at this stage would be great! Thanks.

Just about to send in my qualifications and info to TRA as Im a painter and decorator. Is this the first place to start? Any help at this stage would be great! Thanks.

Yep,the TRA this is the starting point you need- make sure you have lots of patience, and dont leave anything out, I dont know it great deal regarding what you will need for evidence as a painter and decorator, include any apprentice/ trainining you may have done,written statements as how you trained where you trained, cover your self with references going back to when you started.- I had to do this for my trade as a chef-as i over looked a couple of years due to the company going bust-however you can only learn by your mistakes-hope this helps

Well we arrived here on the 3rd May after a reasonable journey from Manchester. The flights were good and being on the A380 all the way from Heathrow made it a liitle easier with kids(more room). One thing we weren't in for was the amount of paperwork you have to fill in and the amount of money you have to dish out in your first few days of being here (ambulance cover, car hire, buying a car ....)

The job front has gone well i start my new job on Tuesday and my wife is almost into a job as well.

My daughter has started school, loves it, and my son starts Kindy full time soon.

One thing i have learnt is you really need to put yourself out to get going here, people are friendly and you can soon be having a conversation about your life with a complete stranger:biglaugh:

We are staying in Tamaras Riverview Cottage in Port Noarlunga and its great, the only slight downside is my job is 'up north' so bit of a drive for work.

As for getting work i applied for jobs that i new i could do, even if it wasnt exactly what i was after, i think its better to be flexible at first then you have got your feet under the table then you can be picky if you want a change.

Any way all is good and we love it here :D

For those back in the UK still waiting for visa's and SS etc good luck:)

The Willis'

Its great to hear you have landed and are getting into the flow of things,cant wait to be doing ot ourselves-,

When you said about the amount of money required for the first few days being a tight leeds-yorkshire man can I ask roughly how much you are on about-I just would like to be slightly prepared for when we get there thats all,-you can send us a message if you like

any help would be great-just need someone to buy our house then we will be joining you all, Thanks again

Andrew

Guest moviemummy
Its great to hear you have landed and are getting into the flow of things,cant wait to be doing ot ourselves-,

When you said about the amount of money required for the first few days being a tight leeds-yorkshire man can I ask roughly how much you are on about-I just would like to be slightly prepared for when we get there thats all,-you can send us a message if you like

any help would be great-just need someone to buy our house then we will be joining you all, Thanks again

Andrew

Ditto!!! Married to a man with Aberdonian blood...need I say more!!!

L x ;)

was your flight straight to adelaide with no stops at all ? if so what airline was this with,we are looking to book flights and i think with the children it may be a better idea to just get it over with.Happy for you that youve settled so quickly.thanks clare

Guest Adelaide_bound
was your flight straight to adelaide with no stops at all ? if so what airline was this with,we are looking to book flights and i think with the children it may be a better idea to just get it over with.Happy for you that youve settled so quickly.thanks clare

It will have to stop at least once, as nothing can carry enough fuel to get all the way from the UK to Aus without at least one refuel unfortunately...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We've spent about $7000 since we got here but that does include two cars, insurance etc but i think one car is a must, there is only so much walking about you can do before the shopping gets too much. :arghh: And we needed one car at least for interviews.

Andrew

Hi, we flew Manchester to Heathrow straight turnaround, Heathrow to Singapore 12hr flight with a 2 hour turn around, then Singapore to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Adelaide straight turnaround. Sounds hard work but it was easy, just had claim the baggage at Melbourne had the cases checked by the dog, then upstairs in the terminal scanned the luggage back in and off we went to Adelaide.

Andrew

Hi, we flew Manchester to Heathrow straight turnaround, Heathrow to Singapore 12hr flight with a 2 hour turn around, then Singapore to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Adelaide straight turnaround. Sounds hard work but it was easy, just had claim the baggage at Melbourne had the cases checked by the dog, then upstairs in the terminal scanned the luggage back in and off we went to Adelaide.

Andrew

:)It's great to hear things are going so well. You make it sound quite easy - the flights, the paperwork, the jobs, etc, but I'm quite sure it wasn't - especially with children!!

Still, you have put a smile back on my face. I have just been typing up our de facto statements for the visa app. Not being married really has its downsides!!! :skeptical:

Be sure to keep posting updates - all advice gratefully received! And enjoy living the dream :D

Rach x

Thankyou

was it hard finding a car you wanted,where did you go for one?and what did you end up with? we have only been looking on a general google serch-however we dont really have a clue where abouts to go for one when we finally get there?

thanks , and enjoy your new job/life in Adelaide

andrew

Guest TheYales

Sounds like you guys are going great guns!

Me and hubbie arrived 4 weeks ago, end of April and can totally agree.. we have spent and spent but not regretting anything. Though i do wish we had shipped more of our personal stuff. We sold up everything back home thinking we would purchase new when we arrived, but with the current exchange rate and with hindsight... i would have brought everything... esp as we are in a completely unfurnished home.

We have secured a 5 month rent, bought the most basic of furniture and on the hunt for jobs now. Found some lovely, lovely people through PIA and the locals are fab too. All the planning, waiting, fingers crossing was def worth it! Being here in Adelaide is brill... even if it is absolutely pouring down! Love it!

If you fancy a beer sometime, give us a shout!!

The Yales!

Sounds like you guys are going great guns!

Me and hubbie arrived 4 weeks ago, end of April and can totally agree.. we have spent and spent but not regretting anything. Though i do wish we had shipped more of our personal stuff. We sold up everything back home thinking we would purchase new when we arrived, but with the current exchange rate and with hindsight... i would have brought everything... esp as we are in a completely unfurnished home.

We have secured a 5 month rent, bought the most basic of furniture and on the hunt for jobs now. Found some lovely, lovely people through PIA and the locals are fab too. All the planning, waiting, fingers crossing was def worth it! Being here in Adelaide is brill... even if it is absolutely pouring down! Love it!

If you fancy a beer sometime, give us a shout!!

The Yales!

Hi The Yales,

Sounds like you are settling well when you first arrived did you get a holiday home,and was it hard finding one?

Good luck with the job fronts, did you struggle securing the rental/I have heard it can be quite tricky regardingthem due to references and the amount of rentals available etc.. did you have a lot of references or any issues when you was looking?

Just trying to get prepared for the unknown when we finally get there.

cheers Andrew

Guest TheYales
Hi The Yales,

Sounds like you are settling well when you first arrived did you get a holiday home,and was it hard finding one?

Good luck with the job fronts, did you struggle securing the rental/I have heard it can be quite tricky regardingthem due to references and the amount of rentals available etc.. did you have a lot of references or any issues when you was looking?

Just trying to get prepared for the unknown when we finally get there.

cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Congrats on getting your visa, thats fantastic!

Hubbie and me are from Middlesbrough, will be fab to have some northerners join us!

Before we left home.. we searched and searched for rentals online.. www.realestate.com.au mostly but the dates werent right for viewings as we were still in the UK. So we booked into the La Loft Apts on Charles Street, Unley http://www.booking.com/hotel/au/la-loft-apartments-unley.en.html?aid=311088;label=la-loft-apartments-unley-Mj1vXeJLdPPhBTkLIi8HGgS6355247283;ws=&gclid=CNj5v9vz_6gCFQP1bwodGTYrSg

for 2 weeks so we could get over jet lag, find our feet and get things sorted without a panic. And the apts are self catering which is better on the wallet than a hotel where you're eating out each night! But theres plenty of places likle this across the adelaide area.

We were really lucky that we had three places to look at through PIA members. Alot of poms have bought investment properties here, which is def the way to go! It was more luck i think, i put a thread onto this site and people helped us out. The members are incredibly helpful and its been a lifeline for us!

Once you get your flights sorted i would keeping checking the real estate section on here as people are seeking to rent their place or break lease and need replacement tenants. It does depend where you're thinking of living and working too. We originally planned to live down south but have since settled close to the CBD for the next few months.

For refs, we've not rented since uni and own our home back in England so we gathered all the info we could from copies of utilities bills, bank and mortgage statements, refs from employers to show prospective landlord and that really helps. You'll still need to complete an application and sign up to a contract but bringing all your info speeds things along.

If you have any more q's, feel free to message us anytime!

Annie

:)It's great to hear things are going so well. You make it sound quite easy - the flights, the paperwork, the jobs, etc, but I'm quite sure it wasn't - especially with children!!

Still, you have put a smile back on my face. I have just been typing up our de facto statements for the visa app. Not being married really has its downsides!!! :skeptical:

Be sure to keep posting updates - all advice gratefully received! And enjoy living the dream :D

Rach x

Hi Rach, we got allocated a case officer today... yay!!! and I am also typing up our de facto statements... can I ask what information you are including?? thank you...

Hi Rach, we got allocated a case officer today... yay!!! and I am also typing up our de facto statements... can I ask what information you are including?? thank you...

:embarrassed:Apologies for the delay in replying. Have you done your statement now? I have pm'd you the details our agent suggested we should include. If you are all done and dusted, then just delete it!

Congrats on the CO, by the way! All go again now then!

Rach x

Thankyou

was it hard finding a car you wanted,where did you go for one?and what did you end up with? we have only been looking on a general google serch-however we dont really have a clue where abouts to go for one when we finally get there?

thanks , and enjoy your new job/life in Adelaide

andrew

Hi, we searched on Gumtree, Trading post, ebay but we were just going round in circles. So we said sod it and went to look at two garages on beach road in christies beach, the better of the two was next to the reptile shop. We've got a mazda 323 and a toyota starlet, not amazing cars but are good condition and have been serviced when they should have been. Just go with your gut instinct:)

Andrew

Guest Taylors08
Hi Andrew,

Congrats on getting your visa, thats fantastic!

Hubbie and me are from Middlesbrough, will be fab to have some northerners join us!

Before we left home.. we searched and searched for rentals online.. www.realestate.com.au mostly but the dates werent right for viewings as we were still in the UK. So we booked into the La Loft Apts on Charles Street, Unley http://www.booking.com/hotel/au/la-loft-apartments-unley.en.html?aid=311088;label=la-loft-apartments-unley-Mj1vXeJLdPPhBTkLIi8HGgS6355247283;ws=&gclid=CNj5v9vz_6gCFQP1bwodGTYrSg

for 2 weeks so we could get over jet lag, find our feet and get things sorted without a panic. And the apts are self catering which is better on the wallet than a hotel where you're eating out each night! But theres plenty of places likle this across the adelaide area.

We were really lucky that we had three places to look at through PIA members. Alot of poms have bought investment properties here, which is def the way to go! It was more luck i think, i put a thread onto this site and people helped us out. The members are incredibly helpful and its been a lifeline for us!

Once you get your flights sorted i would keeping checking the real estate section on here as people are seeking to rent their place or break lease and need replacement tenants. It does depend where you're thinking of living and working too. We originally planned to live down south but have since settled close to the CBD for the next few months.

For refs, we've not rented since uni and own our home back in England so we gathered all the info we could from copies of utilities bills, bank and mortgage statements, refs from employers to show prospective landlord and that really helps. You'll still need to complete an application and sign up to a contract but bringing all your info speeds things along.

If you have any more q's, feel free to message us anytime!

Annie

Hi Annie,

So you arrived. How r you feeling? You settled ok? Pregnancy going ok? Whereabouts have you decided to settle over here? I was from Redcar, just down the road from you in England! Kelly xx