what clothes to bring

Guest css

just sorting through our things,what to take with us and hat to get rid of,we all have about 5 coats each,winter boots,hats,scarves gloves etc,will i need all this in adelaide? im not expecting sun all year but how cold does it actually get in the winter? any advice welcome,thanks clare:huh:

Guest teamV
just sorting through our things,what to take with us and hat to get rid of,we all have about 5 coats each,winter boots,hats,scarves gloves etc,will i need all this in adelaide? im not expecting sun all year but how cold does it actually get in the winter? any advice welcome,thanks clare:huh:

By the sound of it ,you will need them coats sat in the house watching telly,may june and july.:biglaugh:

Kev.

Guest rachinadelaide

Have a look at the climate chart here: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_023090.shtml

Remember that when you've been here a while you will acclimatise and feel colder in what you previously thought were reasonable temperatures!

You will need coats, scarves, hats, gloves etc in the winter as it gets chilly. We find winter a lovely time to go out walking as we have lots of sunny days but you will need warm clothes.

A lot of people find the biggest problem is being inside the cold, draughty houses in the winter! Our first rental had one heater for the entire open-plan house and we had a very cold, uncomfortable winter. We now have a house with ducted heating throughout and don't care how cold it gets any more!!

Guest Guest75

Bring em' if you have room.

Be wary of the charts - 16c here is a lot cooler here,it's hard to explain.

Winter evenings and mornings can be quite nippy.

Guest Guest75
Don't forget your summer clothes. We will all be whinging about the heat before long........

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

A few months to go yet - last summer was not the hottest by any means!

Just bring one good coat each, more of a jacket really, cos as previously said, it can get nippy in the mornings/evenings. Don't be surprised when you see the local variety of kids waiting for the bus or walking to school in shorts and t shirts with maybe a jumper if it's really cold or wet......especially primary school kids. Not sure why.....maybe because the older primary kids hate wearing the uniform trackies they can wear in winter. I don't bother with scarves, hats or gloves...it's not arctic conditions and you will acclimatise. You will then feel too overdressed in lots of layers and a coat. When I go UK side now I hate the way the shops are overheated.

Guest Susie&Simon

Well, since arriving here in Feb, there's been the wettest March in recent history and now the coldest May - we only brought one suitcase each with summery clothes as the rest is in our boxes which have been languishing in Melbourne for 6 weeks (long story - but just suggest you steer clear of AllFreight if you are planning to ship stuff!). Houses here aren't built for the cold so it seems much chillier than it really is - often there's a woodburner or fire in the living room but nothing in the bedrooms. Hot water bottles and warm PJs would be a good idea - but it's fine during the day, just a bit nippy mornings & evenings. And don't forget a raincoat!

Roll on summer!

I grumble about the cold way more than the summer, but in reality you still end up going out in a jacket rather than a coat, so it's my own fault usually, but yes if there is a breeze and your outside for a long period it will feel cold. If your out for long periods of an evening then you'll need a good coat, it can get to freezing a few times on those winter nights.

Put it this way, I have one of those long winter flock coats, I've worn it twice in 6 years.

The houses are cold though, we have a wood burner, great after an hour or so when the house warms up, but in the mornings it's still chilly. Had reverse cycle heating cooling too previously, but on the cold cold mornings it's pants, it can only heat up 10 degs above the ambient temperature and works ineffeciently below 4 degs.

probably don't need five coats each.

I have a wind-proof fleece which I wear most of the time. My knee length wool coat which I did wear for about three months last winter but haven't needed yet this year. And a rain jacket because I've never been a fan of umbrellas.

I only ever wear my hat/gloves if I'm going to be standing around outside for a while, e.g. winter evening BBQs, camping, walks along beach in winter.

I wear my leather winter boots here for work, as I have poor circulation and otherwise can't feel my toes.

Remember if you're looking at weather charts, that the times you'll need the coats are in the evenings/mornings, so you need to be looking at the minimum temps, not the maximums. It does drop to single figure minimums in Adelaide so you don't need your snow gloves/boots, but some form of coats/gloves/hat are probably needed.

Guest jpr parker

today feel like its october in england so yes you will need warm clothes.also get some nice boots before you come because the shoe shops here are rubbish.

I plan on taking all our clothes, shoes, boots and coats pretty much.

As others have said you acclimatise to the weather there. So while the first winter might not feel cold (at the moment its the same temp in Adelaide as it is in the part of the UK were are in) once you've been through warmer springs, summers and autumns you'll start to notice the colder months more.

Hubby and I were talking the other day that here we are running round in tee shirts and shorts or jeans in 16C and in Adelaide his family and friends are wrapping up in jackets and complaining about how cold it is at the same temp. We are sitting in doors in the evenings with a light sweater on. Same temp in Adelaide has people reaching for heating.

So while you probably won't have bitterly cold easterly winds blowing for days and sub zero temps you will for sure notice it is colder in winter and will appreciate clothes you can layer up in and decent coats and boots.

Also we are spoilt in the UK with central heating and double glazing. I lived in houses here for many years which didn't have either. Just woodburner and plug in heaters. Moving into a house with central heating and double glazing a couple of years ago has ruined my tolerance for living in colder houses. I actually like to not rely on heating so much so make a real effort in autumn and spring here to keep the heating off for as long as possible and then to not turn it up past 18C, just put more layers on and sit under a blanket of an evening if I am really chilly.

Guest Rochesdownunder

Coats and warm duvets gets so ccccoooooolllldddd at night .Only here 8 weeks and left winter coats at home I have had to have them posted over from Ireland !!!!!!!!!!!Have seen a few coats and quality isnt great.

• 1 month later...
Guest NewInOz

Personally, I would bring all you clothes as you will certainly feel the cold, especially in the mornings and evenings. I cannot believe how much rain I have seen in Adelaide since I arrived here on August 26th last year.

Guest ben farrier

We are out here on a recci trip and we have had three and a half inches of rain in five days! We are in the Adelaide Hills. People do wear waist cost and jackets and hats and scarves. And you need wellies. It is about 10 degrees and down to two degrees at night.This would be their worst week of the year! There is no biting wind like England. So may be two coats instead of five each.

Ben farrier

Guest Asil

Nice time to be here for a recci, I guess you did not want to come when it was "too hot".

Good to see the place for real, WInters are cold, Summers can get very hot (the last one was not)

Enjoy the Recci, the hills are lovely, you should be Handorf tonight with the big open fires rather than on the net!

Hi as said above, bring everything as all the houses have big wardrobes and yes I left my lovely warm boots in UK 3 years ago and 2 woolwinters coats and wish I had not.

I mainly miss the coats it I go out in the evenings and want to wear light dressy clothes like a nice dress etc...

Otherwise, its layers layers layers, as it can 5 degrees when you get up the morning and as nice as 20 degrees at lunchtime if its sunny...

I would also take advantage of the UK summer sales....as here you DO wear your summer clothes...

I am a summer person and love summer dresses etc and in UK only ever got to wear them on holidays.

I am always on the look out for nice quality and fashionable ladies summer clothes to wear when its very hot, as I dont want to dress like a skinny 20 year old, being middle-aged but want to look nice and cool....

Its hard here to get nice things that arnt frumpy in 16/18...

Anyway, back to winter...personally wouldnt bother with wooly hats scarves and gloves....but long trousers and long sleeved tops with layered waistcoats, cardigans etc and light weight scarves are very useful, as are nice warm PJ's oh ans slippers are a must on the hard cold floors...

good Luck

:biggrin: