Question about mobiles

Diane

Hi all

Just a question for anyone that's recently been back to the UK. What did you do about your mobile phone? Is it easy enough to buy a sim card in the UK and slot it into your phone from here? Or is getting International Roaming the way to go?

How much does a cheap pay as you go phone cost in the UK these days? Could I just buy one when I get there to use for the duration of my holiday?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Diane

Furute father in law just bought a sim card when he got to Uk...theyre pretty cheap and easy enough to put credit on...if you get internatioanl roaming on your Oz phone i think you have to still go through the Oz satellite so your calls in and around the UK may still be more.....

there are heaps to choose from to....

I used to be with Orange in the UK....

HG

I bought a cheap phone and used it while I was there as it only cost me 20 pounds and had ten pounds credit added. It was a pretty basic phone but it did the job. I'd had lots of bother with mine that I'd taken with me even though I had international roaming, plus it was expensive even for text messages.

Thanks all for the replies.

Jenny, I think that's what I'll do - my phone here is one of those "jack of all trades master of none" type ones, so thanks for giving me an idea of the price of a cheap one over in the UK - will probably try and pick one up for around that price and just use it for the duration of our visit.

Guest Tterrier81

i went to the uk in april and my sister sorted me a phone with a sim on the orange network,i ended up bringing it back as i took a few photos on it, u are more than welcome to borrow it when u go

Guest Becster19

We bought a phone yesterday in Tesco for the OH who breaks every phone he has. It was a Vodafone one and was £20 with £10 credit but Tesco were also selling phones on their own Tesco Mobile network for £10 inc credit. Not sure how much credit was included but the phones were pretty good for that price.

Do not activate global roaming on your phone! You will be charged for both incoming and outgoing calls. I was going to activate mine but Virgin advised me not to. Instead, when in Hong Kong I bought a sim card for there costing me 97 HKD to let people know that I wasn't on my intended flight via text messaging. When I got to the UK I got a 10 pound sim card and it lasted me 2 weeks! You can top them up easily at Sainsburys.

Oh yeah, definitely worth writing down a website that allows you to send free text messages from the internet, so that you can use the internet terminals in your transit airport to contact people who are supposed to be picking you up if you have delays/change of flight.