Area to Live

Guest Julie

:v_SPIN:Hi to all.

We are hoping to arrive sometime in April/May. My husband has a job in North Adelaide waiting for him as a plumber, which is great.

The areas I have been looking at on the net are Golden Grove, Gulfview Heights & Sailsbury Heights area, so can anyone fill us in on what these areas & schools are like. Also coming with us are 2 kids son 15, and daughter 11. Would like to be near, MotorX tracks, BMX tracks, ice skating/ice hockey and within easy distance of a good sand/surf beach.

We have to go towards this area due to Lees work .

Many thanks for any info.

Julie- School administrator - age 40

Lee -Plumber age 44

Bradley - age 15

Ryley - age 11

L

Hi Julie & family,

welcome to PIA, when we were over in April 07 for our reccie my cousin advised us to take a look at Golden Grove, but we never got round to it. By all accounts it is supposed to be a really nice place.

So sorry can't answer your questions either, but good luck with everything.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We are hoping to arrive sometime in April/May. My husband has a job in North Adelaide waiting for him as a plumber, which is great.

The areas I have been looking at on the net are Golden Grove, Gulfview Heights & Sailsbury Heights area, so can anyone fill us in on what these areas & schools are like. Also coming with us are 2 kids son 15, and daughter 11. Would like to be near, MotorX tracks, BMX tracks, ice skating/ice hockey and within easy distance of a good sand/surf beach.

Lee -Plumber age 44

Bradley - age 15

Ryley - age 11

L

Try pm ing "salisbury massive"...they live on hill in sailsbury heights, a very nice hill it is too!

sarah

Dear Julie,

We went on a reccie in October/november 2007 and stayed with our inlaws in Greenwith. Saw approximately 23 houses, went on 5 school visits, etc. etc. etc. We are quite sold on the Golden Grove, etc. areas you mentioned. PM me with some specifics as it is a VERY personal decision and I'd rather talk individually about our experiences. I'm sure you'll get some reponses from Northeastern suburbs PIA's who are already there as they were fantastic when we've asked.

Liz

PS our kids are 11, 9 and 3 so we were looking at primary, middle and senior.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest salisbury massive

right, I'm unimpressed, just finished this and deleted the lot, so I'm doing a shorter version this time.

I live in Salisbury Heights, I love it, so peaceful and quiet, it feels like the country but you are actually only minutes from suburbia. you also get more for your money here as well. Greenwith, the suburb next to us is much more expensive. Bigger houses on bigger lots here, Greenwith is much newer whereas SH is more established. There are plenty of shopping centres, Parabanks in Salisbury, The Village at Golden Grove, Tea Tree plaza at Modbury. Waterworld is only 10 minutes drive away, 3 pools and a waterslide. Only 30 minutes of so and you are in the Adelaide Hills, though if you want beaches, our nearest beach Semaphore is probably 30 minutes drive and Glenelg 45 minutes drive. to get good surf you are looking at Port Norlunga and down south, good hour in the car. it takes me roughly 50 minutes to an hour to get to Sarah Smartiepants house in Hallett Cove. Your husband would need about 30 - 45 minutes to get to North Adelaide depending on time of day.

Schools, I guess your daughter will still be at Primary school when you get here, so I'll include them, Most primary schools here go from Reception to year 7. Don't forget as the school year runs Jan to Dec here, they will probably redo part of the year they just left in the UK.

Salisbury Heights Primary http://www.shsr7.sa.edu.au/

friends of ours kids when through there and they were very happy.

The catchment high school is probably Salisbury East http://www.salseast.org/

I don't know too much about it but again our friends kids when through there and they were very pleased. Her eldest girl came away this year with excellent results.

Gulfview Heights is another nice suburb, though if you are buying in the new bit check the drainage, its very hilly and when we do get rain it can be a problem. gulfview Heights primary is very small so good teacher to child ratio. http://www.ghps.sa.edu.au/ My friend just moved her daughter there and likes it.

I'm guessing that the High School would be depending on which part you buy in either Salisbury High School (different to East) http://www.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/ or Para Hills http://www.phhs.sa.edu.au/

I hear Salisbury High is excellent, they have a waiting list for out of catchment. i couldn't comment on Para hills though have friends who went there as kids.

Golden Grove is a lovely suburb, there is a wide range of houses from the affordable to the million dollar range. Its getting very popular with the brits, the primary school is very good and there are plenty of english kids there

http://www.goldengps.sa.edu.au/plain/index1.htm living in Golden Grove will give you automatic entry to Golden Grove high School http://www.goldengrovehs.sa.edu.au/

this High School is surrounded by 2 private schools and shares facilities that the private schools funded. There is a state of the art Drama studio, home economics, woodworking and metal working departments. The school is just across the road from the Village Shopping centre and bus routes so easy to get home. The village also has a bowling alley, swimming lesson centre, arts & recreation centre for basketball, netball etc. Banks, fast food, restaurants and every other shop for you every need. There is also a skate/BMX park in Golden Grove, conveniently situated next to the Police Station. You can also get a bus straight into the city from Golden Grove on the park and Ride auto bann. The buses run on tracks for part ofthe journey, usually takes about 25 minutes to get to the city. Golden Grove is leafy and spread out, i really like it.

My eldest daughter goes to a private school at Wynn Vale, inbetween Golden Grove and Gulfview heights. Its called Kings Baptist Grammar School http://www.kingsbaptist.sa.edu.au/ It cost roughly $1100 a term, books are about $300 forthe year and uniform on top. There are 3 other private schools the two surrounding Golden Grove High, Pedare Christian College http://www.pedarecc.sa.edu.au/ and Gleeson Catholic College http://www.gleeson.sa.edu.au/ Gleeson starts from year 8. The rest from Reception. there is also a private shool in Salisbury Tyndale Christian College http://www.tyndale.sa.edu.au/default.php also from Reception.

There is an Ice rink at Thebarton (said theb- arton, not the barton) probably 30 - 35 min drive, Adelaide Avalanche Hockey team play there. http://www.adelaideavalanche.com/ You can have Ice skating lessons there as well, its apparently an olympic size rink, here is a short history of the rink

The Ice Arena has an Olympic size and a beginner skating rink, DJ, licensed bar, cafe and kiosk, plus video games. Equipment hire is also available, along with qualified skating instruction. Friday and Saturday Night - AUD14.00 plus AUD3.00 Skate Hire - all ages. Family Discount: 15 percent off admission price only (minimum one adult and two children skating). Group and party bookings call the booking office on telephone 08 8352 7977. Management reserves the right to vary the times, charges and/or rink/slope availability at any time.

i'd recommend any of those three suburbs, if I've missed anything out just ask,

jo

Jo.

Wow, thanks for the great info, sorry you had to type it again after deleting it, so thanks for not giving up. The info is going to be really helpful with the links to schools as well. You have managed to answer everything I was after.

However I have two more questions which we would love to find out about, which are, dog walking areas?, are there plenty to choose from and are dogs allowed to run free on most beaches?. Also the men in my live would like to know if there are any motor Cross tracks in and around Adelaide, a sport they love.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread.

Julie:notworthy:

Guest P_and_L

Excellent stuff Jo,

We too are looking at moving to Adelaide later in the year, and as an aircraft engineer I'll probably be working in the north. So it's great to hear positive news about the 'burbs around Salisbury.

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi,

You'd be making a good choice up on the hills around Golden Grove and Salisbury Heights, they are really great areas.

We live in Mawson lakes at the bottom of the hill, and it's developed by the same people as Golden Grove, so it's all very manicured and everything is really well thought out, I know up at golden grove there is a great BMX / Skate park. Also there are loads of parks up there for walking the dogs, in Mawson Lakes there is even a dog park (fully enclosed to let the dog off and play), and of course you can walk the dog on the beaches, although people talk about a specific beach, you can practically walk from North Haven down to Brighton on the beach (at least 20km). I know there is a motor cross track in Wingfield (just between golden grove and port adelaide), which you can probably pay to go on, there is also a speedway track next door.

I think the safest beaches are around semaphore and largs bay (the closest to salsbury, with less rip tides) but the best surf beaches on down south (as jo said), quite a way down south, from Moana onwards, there is a guy on here muppetbro who probably knows the best. We don't find the journey down there too bad as we pack the car up for a full day at the beach, esky, beach tent, boards, towels etc... On australia day this seems the norm, people even set up with BBQ's and full blown marques.....

Guest salisbury massive

dog parks, stolen fron the tea tree gully council website

There are two dog parks in the City of Tea Tree Gully and these parks have been used as working examples for many Councils across Australia. Council has received considerable recognition from the Dog & Cat Management Board for being the first South Australian Council to establish official Dog Parks.

Tails Trails – Ashley Avenue, Ridgehaven

In April 1992 Australia's first dog park was established and was fully funded by the then Department of Environment and Planning.

Tails Trails is a dog exercise area incorporated into a natural, scenic reserve with creek and walking trail. Obstacles placed within the park are suitable for novice through to advanced dogs and provide park users with interesting and challenging exercises for their pets to achieve.

Pet Park – Bicentennial Drive, Golden Grove

In conjunction with Delfin, Pet Park was established in 1996 at Golden Grove. This park was fully funded by Council.

The design of the park is Council's own and the park is fully fenced which allows residents to run their pets off leash whilst maintaining adequate control. It has obstacles designed to accommodate novice through to advanced dogs

the council website is http://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/page

Here is the link from Salisbury Council about dog parks

http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/manifest/servlet/page?pg=9760&stypen=html'>http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/manifest/servlet/page?pg=9760&stypen=html

And the website address http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au

Im not sure about the beaches, I understand they are allowed off the lead in the winter and walked on the lead in the summer. Here is a link from Adelaide Brits about dogs on beaches, it might help http://www.adelaide-brits.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=256&hilit=dogs+on+beaches

Motor cross, I'll do a bit more investigation but at the moment there is a place at Port Gawler (1 1/2 drive) tel no. 85202122. there is a track at Jams by Monarto (good 45 minute drive) There is a track at Tea Tree Gully but i don't know where yet. A place called Gillman - have no idea where that is. I'll pop over to my ex-neighbour and have a chat to him, I know he does motor cross because he used to sort his bike out in the garden for hours on end!!!!! http://www.fmxaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21610 Here is a site with a forum that might help you out.

Jo xx

Guest suejohndan

Hi Julie and family,

Noticed your husband is a plumber, so is mine. Can I ask how he got the job offer and how will he go about getting a licence? My husband is also a qualified gas fitter with 10 years experience do you know what the pay is like?

Sorry to ask all of these questions!

From

Sue & John

:err:

Guest salisbury massive

I've just realised Julie you put north Adelaide regarding your husbands job and i said it will take him 30 - 40 mins to get there. Do you mean North Adelaide as in the suburb just outside the City or North East Adelaide as in the suburbs you mentioned in the post? That would make a huge difference on the driving time scales.

Jo

We live in Greenwith after weeks and weeks of looking around we finally settled on this area.You cant really go wrong with Greenwith,golden grove,Gulfview,Sailsbury heights,Wynn vale and even Fairview park or Tea tree gully.It did take us a while before deciding on this area.Before we came out here we thought we wanted the whole beach and city life but that soon changed as we drove around and looked at houses.You'll find that nearer the city the less land you get and the beach is sooooo expensive.We didn't want to buy just yet but couldn't believe how quick the house market is moving out here at the minute.We put offers in in houses and lost them because we were being out bid left right and centre.We were lucky to find ours really.As Salisbury massive said its a bit more expensive but the views are great.Good luck.

JO

Lee's job is based in Elizabeth. Even though I don't want to live too close to Elizabeth we can't be too far away either so thats why we are looking around the Golden Grove area which sounds good. Unfortunately we have been to Oz a few times last time in March/April 07 but we mainly did NSW and QLD which we were thinking of moving to, but then this job came up in Adelaide thats why we don't have much of an idea on the area as we did our main research in QLD.

Julie

Sue & John

Lee got a job offer through a good friend who is also a plumber for a Company in Oz. The plumbing company were having difficulty in employing fully qualified plumbers within OZ so our friend asked if he would be interested in employing someone from the UK, and the rest is history. Lee should be able to work towards his plumbing licence while working for the plumbing company.

With regard to pay, it is not as good as the UK,but its a start .

Good luck with your search.

Julie & Lee

Thanks for your reply. Do you think we could buy a nice 4 bed house with pool, or room to build a pool in these areas with around £250,000 pounds?. Hope so as don't really want to pay much more than that as want to get rid of the mortage?.

Julie

Hi Julie,

We're also based in Elizabeth hence the reason we looked at this area.Its real easy to get too just straight up the main North rd or down for the city.Have a look on real estate.com.au and see what your money will buy you.We were a little shocked when we got here.The houses we looked at back in Feb when we applied have shot up in value and we couldn't afford them now.You wont go far wrong with the amount of money you have.They only thing we found was you wont get a a huge house with a huge pool with lots of land.We found it hard to get a good mix.Some had tiny gardens,especially the newer houses.A few people on my course out here have bought land and are building their own.Apparently its easier to do then in Uk.I know house buying is.From having your offer accepted you can be in in 3 week.So simple.:policeman:

Guest Russfamily

if your husbands job is in north adelaide why dont u look to the weastern suburbs with 250k uk you will be able to snap up a house a street or two back from the beach with semaphore and largs on boom time with the development of the port it would be a good investment

Great, thanks for that I will have a look it would be nice to be on the Western side closer to the beach as long as the travel time to Elizabeth for Lee's work isn't more than 30mins or so, can you suggest any good areas?.

Julie

Guest salisbury massive
if your husbands job is in north adelaide why dont u look to the weastern suburbs with 250k uk you will be able to snap up a house a street or two back from the beach with semaphore and largs on boom time with the development of the port it would be a good investment

Its a good idea but you'll be looking at a good 45 minute drive to get to work. If you do want to look that way have a look at Largs North, Largs Bay, Alberton, Rosewater and Althol Park.

Elizabeth from Golden Grove 15 minutes, 20 minutes max. I would suggest you look at Craigmore and Hillbank as well. They are further up North East Road and slightly nearer Elizabeth. You'll easily get a 4 bed place possibly with a pool for that sort of money. Craigmore doesn't seem to have quite caught up with house prices yet and Hillbank has got some great places with cheaper price tags because the its further North.

Jo

Just wanted to chip in. A friend of ours is a policeman in Golden Grove and he tells us it lovely there and the crime rate is really low. Its been a bit of a shock for him as he use to be a copper in east London in the UK and now he cant believe just how nice it is there. They live just up the road in Wynn Vale.

Tina x:policeman:

Guest woody crew

Lee -Plumber age 44

Bradley - age 15

Ryley - age 11

L

hi to you.:notworthy:

we went on a month holiday to look around , we spent a week with family in Adelaide in gulfview heights, :biglaugh:it was lovely there, we also looked around at the other areas you asked about and again lovely areas. also the modbury football club do a great cheap meal!

I am sure where ever you start off you will really love, keep in touch and hope we can meet up soon;)

Guest bookworm64

hi

reading all the new posts and came across KEEL living in GREENWITH! i am coming over and staying with my ozzie friend in GREENWITH in 19 days and it was nice to read that its a nice area to live .getting excited now!

michelle