Did you choose Adelaide or not

Riponian

Did you choose Adelaide?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Did you choose Adelaide?

• Yes
    • No

Following on from Tyke's thread about why you chose Australia over anther county. Got me thinking about how many people I know who did not choose Adelaide but HAD to come to SA for what ever reason as they could not get into another state

Did you choose Adelaide Yes or No

For us we chose Adelaide for a number of reasons, lifestyle, great for kids, family orientated, beach, seasons and love every bit of it.

I thought of this too when reading that thread.

I'm a trailing spouse, so to speak. I did want to leave the US, but when I met my Aussie husband in the UK, I had hopes of staying in England or Ireland. While Adelaide wasn't my choice and I do find it difficult here (sometimes - especially as I know this is the last stop after living in a few countries) I like it overall.

We didn't really choose, as it were... I remember DH telling me he'd got interview for a job in Adelaide, and we didn't have a clue where it was in Aus! :biglaugh: After doing some research we decided it was actually going to be a better 'fit' than the other places we'd considered. That said, we were very open to suggestions!

We originally wanted to go to either Perth or Queensland but because I have a rather large extended family here in Adelaide we thought it would make it easier to settle with family around us. Now I'm glad we chose Adelaide as we dont seem to suffer the weather here like they do in other parts :D

I like these kind of posts :)

For us, SIR visa determined SA, Adelaide as a better choice for hubbys work.

We did originally choose QLD, still like & would never say never ;)

Adelaide is right for us, now, lifestyle, weather (when its blooming warm lol), space & beaches - lovely :)

Guest Guest6899

We wanted to move to Perth went out there in 2008 and loved it. Last year I completed my skills assessment with the ANMC then waited 6 months for the SMP to be released. When WA finally released their SMP in Dec they had changed the rules on professionals experience to 7yrs so i could no longer apply as i only had 2yrs. We didnt really just want to ditch the idea so looked at other states and liked the look at SA and hey ho the rest is history!!! just need to sell the house and off we go....

We did our recces in Melbourne and Adelaide as we had already ruled out Sydney (to big), Perth (to expensive), and Brisbane (to humid).

Melbourne was really nice but i could not live there as for me it was to close to London (just another big city in my opinion) and it just did not have the WOW factor for us.

We drove down to Adelaide with heavy hearts thinking we would not like it aswell and as we come into Adeliade it just seemed different, smaller, nice. We spent the next 2 weeks driving all over the place and researching the areas and we just fell in love with it. Fits our needs, smaller, differennt aspects, freindly, clean, open, and job prospects for my trade as good as elsewhere in Aus.

Thats it, our decision was made but for us the visit was a must (or we could be going to Melbourne) :nah:

We were initially headed to Perth (husband has family there), went on a reccie and fell in love with the place. Got home eager to emigrate to WA and the reality of cost really hit us - at the time housing costs were soaring so had a rethink and came to SA instead. We have been here almost 4 years now - no regrets and wouldnt think of going over to WA. In reality we had very little contact with hubbys WA family - they had left the UK as 10 pound pommes in the 60's so other than names we didnt really know them. I am pleased to say we both have great jobs here, we have friends here who I would regard as family, who I know I could call on for any eventuality, we have a great social life and have almost built our second home in Aldinga!

We have visited Qld and Im in the couldnt cope with the humidity brigade (not good for the hair)

Lindsey

Guest helene73

Hi guys great thread and thank you all for sharing your stories :)

I too fell in love with WA on a trip out there, as soon as i got back contacted a agent who told me i could not go there as they did not want me boohoo i was given a list of states that did and researched each one SA seemed like the perfect fit for us, so i did more research and in went the SS only to be rejected as they had filled the quota for my occupation all the while i have done more and more research and now 100% believe SA is the place i want to grow old in, gone are thoughts of 'doing my time' and moving on SA is where i want to be :)

Guest lnother

Your posts make good reading and send good vibes from someone who didn't choose Adelaide. We have only been to QLD and wanted to go there but the only options for SS were Canberra and SA. Out of the two we preferred SA and thats the one that came through first. Having now researched it and joined this site, I am really looking forwar to going over in October to see what its like before a perm moving in Jan. We both hope that like many of you, that we will fall in love with it. If not, it's a good place to start.

Guest Mitchell

I didn't choose Adelaide either. I applied for a transfer with work and all the jobs that were suitable were here so this is where I ended up. I love it here though and will love it even more when it gets warmer again lol

Guest teamV

I'm not even sure we even choose Australia,it was all just an accident really,I always wanted to retire somewhere warm but hadn't thought about moving to Oz ,until I was sort of half offered a job in queanbeyan canberra.Nothing came of the job in the end and both of us didn't like the look of the place.Then at christmass we saw all the floods there and thought that could have been us ,as the job was sponsered and we'd have been there by then .But this did set off our interest in Australia and as a family we decided we would like to give it a go.

So last October we rang an agent ,saying I was 45 this june and what was the best way to get into Oz ,my job was on the SA ss list, so we thought about it for a week ,checked out as much as we could on google and rang back the agent and said lets go for it.At different times this year when different states brought out there migration plan, we were offered the chance to apply there ,but decided that South Australia was were we wanted to go:)

Guest mez10

We didn't plan to come to Oz until a phone call from a friend offering me a job in Adelaide. We spent a weekend researching Adelaide and then replied to my friend with a BIG YES!

We all love Adelaide now, this is our home now.

Guest rachinadelaide

We were planning to emmigrate to Argentina when my hubby got offered a job and PR with all expenses paid to Adelaide. It was very hard to refuse.... We decided on a compromise - we moved here but spent another 3 months in Argentina on the way here to finalise a 'plan B' which we may yet implement... Been here 6.5 years though so we certainly didn't make a poor decision! (although I have some serious itchy feet at the moment)

Guest shahram
Hi guys great thread and thank you all for sharing your stories :)

I too fell in love with WA on a trip out there, as soon as i got back contacted a agent who told me i could not go there as they did not want me boohoo i was given a list of states that did and researched each one SA seemed like the perfect fit for us, so i did more research and in went the SS only to be rejected as they had filled the quota for my occupation all the while i have done more and more research and now 100% believe SA is the place i want to grow old in, gone are thoughts of 'doing my time' and moving on SA is where i want to be :)

My Dear ,I am going to go Adelaide and my wife has the same your job.i want to get 176 visa to migrant i expect to get some friend before i move there.

Guest Cara&Gav

Hi,

We originally wanted to move to Brisbane but SA was the best bet for state sponsorhsip. However, after looking into it we love the look of Adelaide & would still choose it now if we had the choice.

Cara

Guest SusieOR

We originally chose WA but then hubby's occupation was taken off their SMP... so we looked again & chose SA then (we had a choice of VIC, NT, ACT & SA)...

Sx

Climate(not a lover of year round heat),lower crime rate than some other cities,proximity to the east coast(ish!),hse prices reasonabe to other cities,work situation decent,all just based on research over the net tho!this was all 3 yrs ago,and IF the hse ever sells here in uk we'l see! but tbh Victor Harbor is 1st choice(still SA isnt it!;))

Guest Guest75
Climate(not a lover of year round heat),lower crime rate than some other cities,proximity to the east coast(ish!),hse prices reasonabe to other cities,work situation decent,all just based on research over the net tho!this was all 3 yrs ago,and IF the hse ever sells here in uk we'l see! but tbh Victor Harbor is 1st choice(still SA isnt it!;))

Wahaay!!! Pabs! We are honoured !!!!

Good to see ya!:notworthy:

So the house is the only thing holding you back now??

Its been on sale two out of the last three yrs mate,cant just keep dropping the price tho Russell,its our starter $ and were not coming with fortunes as it is,so bad catch 22 as works grim up here,so i was debating this thought.........If i had regular wk in SA that would KINDA make up for one last drop in the hse price?IE if i dropped another 5k on the hse and it sold,then me working fulltime over there would see me make up that 5k reasonably quickly due to the days off(no £) im having here,if ive explained properly mate:goofy::biglaugh:.

SOOOOOoo thought i'd come on and see the news on the job front in SA Russell,NOT good from what im reading on here!:rolleyes:

Hows tricks anyway Russell?hope you and yours are well;)