My poor dog.

Guest barb

So worried about my poor dog Kozee,he has had all his jabs and his blood tests and has proved poss for leptos. He goes to the kennels this morning and Im so worried and upset as I may never see him again. They will test him again in a couple of weeks,and then a couple of weeks after that,if that fails then he will have to be put to sleep. The vets/kennels and defra have said its the highest reading they have ever had so Im praying it is just a big mistake. I was so happy about everything now feel gutted and so sad.

So worried about my poor dog Kozee,he has had all his jabs and his blood tests and has proved poss for leptos. He goes to the kennels this morning and Im so worried and upset as I may never see him again. They will test him again in a couple of weeks,and then a couple of weeks after that,if that fails then he will have to be put to sleep. The vets/kennels and defra have said its the highest reading they have ever had so Im praying it is just a big mistake. I was so happy about everything now feel gutted and so sad.

Oh barb how awful! Did they say if ts common to get false positive? They must think it's worth redoing test? Best of luck and big hug

Gill x

I notice you say your dog has had all his jabs - that may be the problem. They are not supposed to give the lepto in the innoculation (think it is standard to do so which means you specifically have to ask for them not to include it) - soooo my thinking is if he has recently had his jabs and the lepto was included (check with your vet if unsure) that may be a reason for the high reading. My suggestion is contact your vet they should have the records - ask them if lepto was included and how long it takes after the shot till the reading goes down to normal levels . I think it is quite common so there must be a work around.

I really hope it is good news!!!!

Guest mimasawrus

hi

My Jack Russell Terrier tested positive the first time round, and her reading was really high, very stressful but the second test was fine. According to our vet at Petair he said it was not an uncommon thing. She was never ill and flew out in the day planned so please dont give up hope. The readings just show their antibodies towards it are high, but as i say our Wilma was ok second time round and she has lived here in SA for 20 months now. Fingers crossed xx

Guest spice
:shocked::arghh:I am crossing everything for you as I know how much our pets mean to us...your in my thoughts and prayers and hope you get your beatiful per back hime with you and your family

Hi

I totally understand what you're going through, our Siberian Husky tested positive for leishmaniosis even though we're not supposed to have it in the UK. I was advised it was probably a false positive but he also failed the second test. As a last resort we were advised we could have an Eliza test that was more indepth & was sent abroad for testing so we went ahead with that. Luckily it came back negative so he is now with us in Australia.

Was a very stressful time as we had to change his flight & he had to stay with relatives cause my son's flight had already been booked.

Don't give up yet.

x

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support,yes I am going to think positive and hope he will be over on oz in no time. We will be there on the 30th june and Kozee was due to fly out on the 4th July,fingers and paws crossed that it isnt too long await.

We have just heard that our dog has "just" failed this on her blood test also.......She can have her re-done tomorrow so i have her booked in at our vets. Best of luck with yours, let us know how yours does.

Going to be a hectic day tomorrow, up at stupid o'clock to catch a train to London to collect our passports and visas from the Chinese Embassy, then to the Australian Consulate for the stamp in our passports, back home on the train to then get poor dog for more blood tests (she was so good last time) just hope all this testing doesn't put her going to the Vets.

Can you believe the cost of train tickets???? its cheaper to by a single anytime up to London, then a single first class back home than to book 2 standard singles, or a standard return ticket??????

Guest Aussie pat

I think all of the advice you have been given is very helpful and sounds quite positive.

I used to work in sexual health as a nurse and I know that if someone tested positive for Hep B antibodies we didn't straight away asume they had active hepatitis. It often just meant they had either been exposed to the virus in the past, or had been previously vaccinated. Further more conclusive tests were then done to see if the disease was active.

If my dog was healthy and tested positive, with high antibody levels, I would be questioning whether they had been recently vaccinated and whether the rise in antibodies was just the normal reaction to the jabs.

Goodluck

• 2 months later...

My dog went back to the vets today to finalise everything and they only looked today to discover he was positive to something that is not in the UK? He has never left Wales? The maddening thing is they had the results on 18/8/11 and had not actioned anything. He was due to fly on Sunday and go to the pet handlers today, but all that has had to be arranged, He has been re-tested and we will find out on Monday afternoon, we fly the next day!!! Apparently it may be a false positive or something to do with a tick infection??? All very stressful at this point in time:-(