Life in Adelaide

Guest ste n sasha

Guest ste n sasha

Hi ,

Havent been on for ages been busy busy busy! Well been here now for 3 months now, and love it, :jiggy:my girls have settled so well, when we ask now if they want to go back to the uk they look at me in horror!!!

Well we bought a house in flagstaff hill and moved in on the 14 december, so it was a mad christmas, and what was even mader we all went down to beach on christmas day!!:err: Back to reality now, back to work:nah:

Guest steve&tracy

wow you've done loads how have you managed in such a short time.Im very impressed. How did you find buying a house (was it straight forward) and i'm glad to here your girls have settled in o.k.

i hope my 3 girls settle in as quick they are 16, 7, and 2.5 .

how do you find flagstaff hill.It looks like a nice area.

All the best for the future.

steve and Tracy

Guest ste n sasha

hi steve & tracey,

buying the house was easy we went to a mortgage broaker he sorted it all out, and had the keys for it within 4 weeks.:)

we found flagstaff hill the best place for us its quiet it feels like you are in the country you've got the school,shops and if you like shopping the marion shopping mall is 10 mins away,the city is 30 mins away.

I am sure your girls will settle quickly,my two did they went to school made friends and now have a better social life than us:huh:

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

Can I ask a daft question?

Well I'm gonna anyway......:huh:

How do you go on about getting a mortgage when the company in Oz no nothing about your financial history i.e credit vetting etc? I was told it might be an idea to bring your mortgage statements from your building society in the UK showing payments made on time and to also think about obtaining your credit file from Experian to show that you honour any agreements you take out. Hubby already has a job to go to but employment history wouldn't have been for very long.

We are looking to rent initially and buy asap but didn't want to be held up whilst we accrue a credit rating/ history if this is the right phrase?

Anybody offer any advice on this - oh and I don't want to get stung by a company who will offer credit regardless of history at an inflated rate!!!

thanks in advance

Amanda

Hi Richard & Amanda,

We went to see a financial advisor when we were over in April, the advice we were given was that your credit history starts again.

Until we get a mortgage we haven't to take anything out on credit or get a credit card as banks don't want to see anything on your credit report.

The commonwealth bank will give you a mortgage as long as you are working full time after one day, there are other organisations that start to come on board after a few weeks right up until 3 months, so it just depends on who you want to go with and what the rates at the time are.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there will be plenty more information on this subject posted for us all to learn from.

Guest ste n sasha

Hi,

when we arrived we were told by the bank that we werent able to obtain a mortgage for three months we were gutted. Like you we wanted to buy as soon as possible as the house prices are rising.

we found another way we went to see a mortgage broker and he told us that we had to be in full time employment and one payslip and proof that we had the funds in the bank to put down, we obtained ours with ANZ bank and we got a good rate.

good luck

Guest donna T

We used The Loan Arranger and a guy called Scott Marshall. He was brilliant and arranged our mortgage pain free!

He will come to you - we had not yet started working although Russ had a job to go to soon after (but no paperwork to support this)

Email scottmarshall@loanarranger.com.au

M 0402 425304

Good luvk

Donna x

Guest cornish Busdriver

Thanks Donna.

Weve got a large deposit to put down so hopefully that will also go in our favour.

Looking at buying around Banksia Park or a bit closer into the city.

Matt

someone else may already have said this but I'm too tired to read all of the replies. As a self employed person you can also get a low Document morgage from most of the big lenders. This is if you can't prove your income. If you have a reasonable deposit you can get the low doc loan without any interest rate penalty which you get stuffed for in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just trying to find our way round this site, and came across your message. So pleased you are all settled in and 3 months on still loving it all. Leighton is Gas fitter and we are opefully coming over to adelaide May/June time. After looking at several forums on different sites, there are so many horror stories of Gas fitters not beeen able to find work and when they do, they won't earn good money as they need to get a license, which apparently is impossible to get. Leighton is prepared to do what it takes but we have even read that he should possibly take a career change!!! Music to his ears as he now thinks he can play professional football, or soccer??? ( in his dreams maybe!!)

If you can provide us with any details on work, pay( hope not too personal) and any info on areas to live, we would be very grateful. Now that our paper work is done, we seem to be living on the internet, looking at everything from schools, houses, careers, but reading it can not compare to the experience and knowledge that you have. Hope you don't mind us asking.

We look forward to your reply,

xxxxx

Hi ,

Havent been on for ages been busy busy busy! Well been here now for 3 months now, and love it, :jiggy:my girls have settled so well, when we ask now if they want to go back to the uk they look at me in horror!!!

Well we bought a house in flagstaff hill and moved in on the 14 december, so it was a mad christmas, and what was even mader we all went down to beach on christmas day!!:err: Back to reality now, back to work:nah:

You have had a very busy 3 months. We arrived just after you on the 8th October, and our kids are the same as yours. They dont want to go back to the UK.

We have just bought our 1st house in Aberfoyle Park and move in 29th February.

We got our mortgage through Westpac with no probs.

Hope you have settled well into your 1st own Australian home.;)

Guest suejohndan

Hi Guys,

Glad everything is going well for you. My husband is also a gas fitter with 10 years experience and we were wondering how easy it was for you to find work and is the pay ok to survive on. We were looking around the Flagstaff Hill area too.

We would be greatful of any info you could give us on the work front.

Thanks

Sue & John

Guest ste n sasha

Hi wendyw,

Its nice to see that you have settled i bet your really looking forward to moving:)

I now i was, I feel more settled now :)How old are your children

Hi wendyw,

Its nice to see that you have settled i bet your really looking forward to moving:)

I now i was, I feel more settled now :)How old are your children

They are 10 and 6. They both go to flagstaff hill and will be in year5 and year1.

We all cant wait to move as that will be the final stage of our move from the UK.