Time To Go: Had Enough

Guest The_Tartan_Pimpernel

Guest The_Tartan_Pimpernel

OK it's time for me to chuck the towel in.

Been here for the guts of 12 month's with 30 years electro/electronic experience mainly in high volume PC and IT industries.

Educated to MSc level and had one interview to date after contacting almost 30 recruiting agencies (no replies) and applying for upwards of 100 jobs again with not one reply.

The one interview I had 10 months ago? well it landed me that job......... as a laborer.....

The wife loves it so you get to keep her, (she will make a great Australian)......

Recommendations for shipping companies please and how much will it likely cost for a 20' container.......

Guest cbeeb

sorry to hear. Have you tried to dumb down CV? this is not being smart but a reality of over qualified people here. back at uni with phd researchers that cannot secure jobs as they figure they too clever to employ. So much for skills shortage. Move interstate, best option.

Sorry to hear about things. There was a reply in this thread on return to UK shipping

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/25681-shipping-back-uk.html

Good luck with it if its what you end up doing.

FWIW, if you do actually like Aus, but its the work issues in Adelaide that's the real sticking point, it might be worth looking into going interstate and seeing if you can't find something in your field elsewhere.

Guest Squareman

I don't know your circumstances, but if you have applied for 100 jobs and not got any, then you need to look at your CV, frankly. If you are not even getting replies, then there is something seriously wrong. My wife is still looking for a job (a better one than the one she has now) and she isn't having much luck because we are looking at a 'school hours' job (which restricts your chances) but she is at least getting responses.

The only recommendation I can give is to get someone to 'fix' your CV and/or to get out into the market and speak to people, as opposed to just sending out CV's. I have come to find Adelaide as a place where 'people give jobs to people' if you know what I mean. I sent my CV to every recruitment agency in Adelaide - with zero outcome. I then called up 3 companies that I could potentially work for and asked if they were interested in meeting me. The outcome was that all three offered me a job, despite none of them having even advertised for a position. It pays to meet people. Good luck!