Emergency vehicle sirens

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Seeing as its now the summer hols and I'm at home all day (lush!), along with it being 30ish degrees today so all the windows and doors are open, I was wondering how often people hear emergency vehicle sirens where you are?

So far today I have heard 7 at different times - not sure what 'make' they were (theres a new weird one that I think is fire?) but have seen 3 police cars go past our house, so am guessing most of them were police cars (do they all sound different now, or is it just one of them, in the UK?).

Just thought it was an interesting question to ask, our perception is it would be a lot lower in Australia in a similar place (ie outer suburbs of a city - something probably similar to Adelaide outer 'burbs), but is this realistic, or wishful thinking? Or a reality? Also interesting to hear people around the UK and how many sirens they hear.

I'd say today has been about average talking to the husband (who is always here), we seem to have a lot at night though, so guess there will be more as the day goes on.

(BTW, not thinking that the sirens would be less in Aus do to less crime etc per say, but the larger areas as well (we are all pretty crammed in here) meaning you are less likely to hear a siren if its not directly in your area maybe? The less crime would be a nice thought as well though lol).

(Just as I finished writing this, 3 more police cars went charging past the house - should point out I don't live on a main road, its got traffic calming give way bits and speed bumps, so not a main route for police to be going down really).

Guest loopylisa

As a child living in the outer southern suburbs I never remember hearing a siren go past but when I visited in easter and was staying at where I will be moving to shortly in the inner southern suburbs they were alot of sirens(near a main road and near a police AND ambulance depot!) so it depends. But I think you are right overall, I live in a residential street in Exeter and I hear ALOT of sirens although I am not near a main road, I often hear what I think are police or ambulance helicopters. I never remember this is Reynella. That is just my memories and perceptions/experiences though

Guest loopylisa

To be fair in the UK im about 5 mins from an hospital and ambulance station again. I seem to be drawn to them:goofy: but I dont hear as many as the OP. And I often think about ones I hear during the day when Im out and about so that probably doesnt count

Not sirens ..... but I do notice if a light aircraft flies over ..... used to live on south coast under Gatwick flight path, and near Shoreham airport so little Cessnas etc were flying over all the time, but its still quite a novelty here.Lots of sirens, but depends where you live ...... I'm very near Panalatinga Road in Woodcroft so hear them a lot!

Guest mark&rachel

Police arent allowed to go lights and sirens here really. Pathetic system. You could be getting your head kicked, dial 000 and Police amble along. Blame the commish, never heard anything like it.

Guest The Dimmocks

Our house backs onto a main road, quite near a traffic light junction. We hear sirens pretty much every day, two or three times a day as well.

Guest mark&rachel
Our house backs onto a main road, quite near a traffic light junction. We hear sirens pretty much every day, two or three times a day as well.

That would be Ambos and Fire then

Didn't hear many sirens in the Uk as we lived in a village in a semi-rural area. We hear more now as we are in the suburbs. Plenty of helicopters around at times too (shark patrol/air ambulance/police).

The main problem noise-wise here is hoons, ie. d***heads who want to rev their V6/V8 engines up to get the most noise possible when driving down a suburban street with a 50k limit (often P platers). Very occasionally I have heard them racing along the streets in the middle of the night (generally along dual carriage-ways) - which often ends in loss of life when one loses control and crashes into a tree.

Guest guest3462

I have to be honest that we don't hear too many sirens going off down here but we do live close to the CFS station so often I will hear the alarm going off then the fireys will zoom off. There were a fair few sirens last night though, I wonder if that had anything to do with storm damage cos that was a cracker!

Hardly ever hear sirens where we are, although very occasionally we will hear the police helicopter overhead - rarely enough that it registers. During the day at our place it is often so quiet that I wonder if anyone else actually lives in our neighbours' houses! Mind you, once the kids are home from school, we make enough noise from our house to leave nobody in any doubt that ours is occupied!!

Guest The Dimmocks
That would be Ambos and Fire then

It is mainly ambulances, the odd few police cars.

We hear all the hoons speeding/breaking at the lights. Had one man hit a central lampost (lights going across either side of dual carriageway) and it landed right across the top of his car, he was very lucky man. Felt sorry for the lady coming the opposite way who nearly ended up with it on top of her car as well.

Had one man hit a central lampost (lights going across either side of dual carriageway) and it landed right across the top of his car, he was very lucky man. Felt sorry for the lady coming the opposite way who nearly ended up with it on top of her car as well.

Late at night a couple of weeks ago a car ended up in our neighbour's garden, demolishing their fence, several bushes and coming to rest next to the bedroom window where their young son sleeps. The owner of the car - who apparently has several driving convictions - told police he'd noticed the car had been stolen and was just about to call them when they came knocking ...:nah:

Jim

Guest Linds & Greg

I have to say I hear sirens all day long (I am a paramedic) so when i get home if I hear someone drive past my house with a siren i get slightly annoyed :smile: However, if people say you see Ambos driving with sirens on in SA, fingers crossed for them needing more staff when we apply!!!

Linds