Selling a house in Adelaide

Guest Cyclops

Guest Cyclops

I have a house in Hallett Cove that I may sell or may keep on as a rental.

The difficult part is that I intend to return to the UK.

Any suggestions. What are the issues with selling a house here - has anyone had experience of auctions.

Is anyone renting from anyone overseas. The whole issue is fraught with difficulties.

I am returning because life, although not bad is just too isolated for me out here.

Best wishes,

Cyclops

It's not so different selling a property here than anywhere really. Get at least three quotes and see which works out best for you, but remember that the company who puts the highest value on your property isn't necessarily going to get you the best price. I think most realtors charge about 1.85%. You have to pay for advertising your property in the paper (usually the Messenger and the Advertiser), you even have to pay for your For Sale sign! Auctions aren't reallly that popular on mainstream properties, most people have opens at the weekend and cross their fingers! Opens are a pain in the backside, you spend hours and hours cleaning your house, then you have to leave for 45 minutes or so during the open and when you get back the agent says "Mmmm, think it was mainly time wasters today I'm afraid..." and then you have to go through the whole thing again the next day or next week. Ooh, the bitter voice of experience... Have to be completely honest as well and say that now seems to be a REALLY bad time to try and sell. I reckon you might be better off renting it out for a year or two until things start to pick up again. Just my opinion, definitely not an expert. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Hi we live in UK and rent out our house in Hahndorf. We have a great agent who manages it for us.

You will need to file an Oz tax return every year and pay any tax owing in oz (at 30% with no nil rate allowance). You then have to declare it on your UK tax return too although any tax paid to ATO is taken into account (you are not taxed twice). It is complicated as different things are allowed against rental income in the UK and the tax years are different. It goes without saying that you will need to keep Oz bank accounts open. Also best to have a separate Oz will to cover any assets in Oz.

On the other hand we have also sold houses from overseas, you just need to give someone power of attourney to sign paperwork.

Amazing what you can do on-line to manage things.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nodrog72

hello

I am interested in renting your property. Could you give me some details. We are available to rent straight away if you need or can wwait until end of September. We have been let down by another rental company. Long story. But we would be interested in a 3-4 bed property in Hallett Cove. Available to view straight away.

Many Thanks

Gordon

I have a house in Hallett Cove that I may sell or may keep on as a rental.

The difficult part is that I intend to return to the UK.

Any suggestions. What are the issues with selling a house here - has anyone had experience of auctions.

Is anyone renting from anyone overseas. The whole issue is fraught with difficulties.

I am returning because life, although not bad is just too isolated for me out here.

Best wishes,

Cyclops