Ban Live Animal Export Rally, Sunday 14 August (tomorrow!)

Lazy Cow

This event is being promoted by Animals Australia and will be held at

Elder Park, by the rotunda, from 12 pm Sunday.

Nick Xenophon,a spokesperson from the RSPCA and various others will be speaking and it would be good to get as many as possible there.

This isn't about whether you eat meat or not, or the financial hardship to the farmers*, it's about ensuring living, sentient creatures are treated with basic respect.

I am not posting this to start an argument lol, just to publicise something I personally support - and before anyone tells me we should care about people as well, I definately do that too! :cute:

:notworthy: LC

* I know this issue hugely affects the farmers but I don't believe ignoring the horrific treatment meted out to the animals should be ignored either. :wubclub: Both issues need immediate and effective handling. iMO

Take a walk along any jetty and see what these fishermen get upto.

Stevo

Doesn't make it right Stevo.

With refrigerated transport being as good as it is these days, I see no reason at all to export live animals. Got a lot of time Xenophon too. Hope the rally went well.

This event is being promoted by Animals Australia and will be held at

Elder Park, by the rotunda, from 12 pm Sunday.

Nick Xenophon,a spokesperson from the RSPCA and various others will be speaking and it would be good to get as many as possible there.

This isn't about whether you eat meat or not, or the financial hardship to the farmers*, it's about ensuring living, sentient creatures are treated with basic respect.

I am not posting this to start an argument lol, just to publicise something I personally support - and before anyone tells me we should care about people as well, I definately do that too! :cute:

:notworthy: LC

* I know this issue hugely affects the farmers but I don't believe ignoring the horrific treatment meted out to the animals should be ignored either. :wubclub: Both issues need immediate and effective handling. iMO

I don't see how baning live exports will outlaw Halal meat production ,you may as well try and outlaw the religion's this practice is attached too .Halal meat is labeled in the uk ,I wouldn't buy it myself but I don't see how it can be stopped ,we went to a subway last year near bradford and it was halal ,the biggest fast food chain in the world and they obviously changed the way they do things to sell in that area.

Guest katsmajic

All the big fast food guys have moved to predominantley halal, they did ages ago..you cant stop live export - we've been doing it for years - look at the france/lamb riots etc years ago...it just needs to be humane - at every stage of the food chain.

Doesn't make it right Stevo.

With refrigerated transport being as good as it is these days, I see no reason at all to export live animals. Got a lot of time Xenophon too. Hope the rally went well.

Refridgerated transport isnt that great here in Oz .......was in charge of running a despatch dept at one of the major 2 supermarkets here.........bit of an eye opener compared to european practices!!!!

Oh no! A debate!

It probably won't come as a surprise but I agree with Diane, there should be no live export.

Even if you can ignore the two-million plus animals that died en route, it makes sense to keep the slaughter at home. Apparently some 40,000 people would be employed again and Australia could see the creation of a strong ethical brand of meat. New Zealand apparently benefitted from their ban of similar live animal export and are able to command a better price for their meat. So, banning live export would mean more money kept in Australia, the creation of thousands of jobs, the ability to get more money for the product....PLUS Australian animals would be protected from cruelty.

Xenophon also mentioned that the way animals were killed for the Halal market was wrong and couldn't be ignored. I think that this issue will also be addressed soon as.

As Katsmajic said, it is stomach-curdling what goes on in the foreign abbatoirs, with slicing the animals' leg tendons and stabbing eyes (to make them less likely to panic. How thoughtful.) just an example. And while it goes way beyond the cruelty of some fishermen, or Halal meat production, or dog breeders, each form of cruelty must be attended to in due course. The ban of live animal exports would make us all winners and save millions of animals from torture and brutalising.

Ok. It's late, it's an emotive subject and I'm tired lol! Let's hope it goes to a conscience vote and we end up like New Zealand with NO live animal exports!

Thanks,

LC

PS. If you want to help - and it will only take a couple of minutes; it's easy as!- please go to

http://www.banliveexport.com/virtual-protest/# :wubclub:

Guest nic lavidan
Live export is fine and dandy when the animals are treated humanely and killed humanely.

Its stomach curdling what goes on.

I agreed with this view. I do not eat meat and I am not altogether happy when I have to watch other people eating it but I would be more accepting of it if I knew animals were reared in a nice enviroment and then killed as humanely as possible. That is not too much to ask of these creatures who provide is with so much is it.

Guest Adelaide_bound
.Halal meat is labeled in the uk ,

No it isn't. I saw a documentary on it so did some further research (sorry it was a while back though so I can't remember all the details, this is going to sound all wishy washy, but still thought I'd let people know). One of the fast food chains *all* of their meat is halal now (possibly KFC?), and you cannot get lamb I think in the supermarkets in the UK that isn't halal, and it isn't marked as such - (can't remember if it was lamb or not, but by thinking about it it must have been) the only slaughter houses in the UK that process that meat are halal now due to the fact that so many people want halal and those people won't buy it if it isn't, whereas the rest of us stupid idiots don't seem to care either way. I do, so don't buy it anymore.

Obviously if you get any meat from a small local slaughterhouse then it probably will be 'normal' (ie not halal), but the majority of the country shop in Tesco etc which aren't supplied by local.

I think it is disgusting how we are lied to over how food is produced in this country (lied to by omission) we should be allowed to know what and where our food comes from, and it also sort of doesn't sit well with me that a national identity is being shunned basically in favour of another (I'm very much an in Rome kind of person - you'll see me down the barbie with a stubby in my hand in Oz (and I don't drink lol)..

No it isn't. I saw a documentary on it so did some further research (sorry it was a while back though so I can't remember all the details, this is going to sound all wishy washy, but still thought I'd let people know). One of the fast food chains *all* of their meat is halal now (possibly KFC?), and you cannot get lamb I think in the supermarkets in the UK that isn't halal, and it isn't marked as such - (can't remember if it was lamb or not, but by thinking about it it must have been) the only slaughter houses in the UK that process that meat are halal now due to the fact that so many people want halal and those people won't buy it if it isn't, whereas the rest of us stupid idiots don't seem to care either way. I do, so don't buy it anymore.

Obviously if you get any meat from a small local slaughterhouse then it probably will be 'normal' (ie not halal), but the majority of the country shop in Tesco etc which aren't supplied by local.

I think it is disgusting how we are lied to over how food is produced in this country (lied to by omission) we should be allowed to know what and where our food comes from, and it also sort of doesn't sit well with me that a national identity is being shunned basically in favour of another (I'm very much an in Rome kind of person - you'll see me down the barbie with a stubby in my hand in Oz (and I don't drink lol)..

Please provide ANY? facts, links, papers, etc around this, as i have good links with this industry in the uk and imho this is very untrue and completly made up! I await the evidence?!!! :(

Please provide ANY? facts, links, papers, etc around this, as i have good links with this industry in the uk and imho this is very untrue and completly made up! I await the evidence?!!! :(

I didn't know about this - although it does kinda make sense unfortunately- so I Googled it and found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

There were quite a few articles there, including something from the meat industry, but they all had the same message which was that Halal meat is being served / sold without being specified as such.

Hmmmn :)

LC

Guest loopylisa

Didnt the government override the protest to the live exports?

P.S I hate KFC anyway wont go near it with a barge pole. I think as with any food people should be informed e.g. calories there is a lack of info about all things like this