Our Story: Bit Boring, Need To Vent.

Guest Jane & Tony

Guest Jane & Tony

2006: We are now in our 40's, no pension, small house. We either need to sell and upsize or rent out and buy another house. Sell both in 23 years, rent a flat, voila! Pension sorted. 1x2bed end terrace & 1x3bed semi (bought cheap) later......

2007: Feb: Let's go to Oz! Got parents and Sister there. Three week visit. Great!

2008: May: Got visa, houses on market, 75grand profit! Lovely! Take our precious dogs, great new start with plenty of cash to splash. November: Trip over for validaion. Ex rate 2.4 to 1. Still love it!

2009: Houses not selling, exchange rate dropping, oooooooh!

2010: December: 3bed SOLD! Hurrah!! 20g loss, oh:frown:

2011: Now: 2bed sold!! 40g loss, ooooh. Taking 15g, one dog to be re-homed, one dog to be put to sleep:sad:BAWL!! , exchange rate still low, no tradie jobs going, one Parent passed away.

What a diference 5 years make.

Do we stay or do we go now? xxxxx

Rant over. xxxxxxxxxx

Guest Jane & Tony
$15k isn't a lot of start-up cash but if you don't give it a go you'll always be left wondering.

Know what you mean. v v confused right now. Oh, its 15k in pounds (about 25k in dollars)

Guest leeozbound

I don't think there is ever a right or wrong time to go, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for it. I believe that if everything works out perfectly ie, you sell your house for the asking price, the exchange rate is good, you have organised everything before you go, you even have a job waiting for you, in my ipinion this can just make the decision to go back just as easy because there was no major risk. On the other hand if you dont get what you wanted for the house, the exchange rate dips and the job offer isn't there, if you still believe that this is the right decision to go I feel that that there is more determination to make it work. If you still believe it is the right decision for you after all that has happened GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say that was plenty for start up if its only the two of you. And if you can be somewhere you can use the train/tram/bus to commute to work and save on having to buy a car straight away then even better.

Do you have anything to stay here for really now your house is sold? If the work situation is ok in Adelaide for your professions hopefully you'd find something decent.

Personally I'd give it a go. You can sit and wait for things to get better and only watch them get worse. On both sides. If its something you've wanted, worked towards and waited so long for then give it a try. You've family already there, you've made sacrifices and the only way you'll ever know is if you head on out there.

The flip side is if it doesn't work out for you you've lost a chunk of money and you'll want to return to the UK. Weigh up what you want more in the long term and if you are willing to take that final step now.

Guest Jane & Tony

Thanks snifter, good advice. I know it's a bit wimpy but it's the dogs that are breaking our hearts. I know all of the cliches like 'they've had a good, happy life' etc but that does not really help.

Guest Jane & Tony
Thanks snifter, good advice. I know it's a bit wimpy but it's the dogs that are breaking our hearts. I know all of the cliches like 'they've had a good, happy life' etc but that does not really help.

Seems to have added a few extra words for some reason!!

Its not wimpy at all. We are leaving our dog behind (long story, posted about it elsewhere) and its not easy in the least. Having one PTS for old age or health reasons is never easy but we do it as we don't want them to suffer. The one being rehomed, if you've been able to have time to sort out a private rehome, even via a dog rescue it will mean you can approve the home, meet the people and so on. So you'll know the dog will be well cared for and you can see them settled before you leave.

Guest Jennet

sounds to me you should go, you've done most of the stress selling up and you have a clear start now, hesitation takes too much out of people have a goal and it will all come together. I rehomed one of my dogs privately and it was a fabulous home, lovely people, Labrador people and lived in the country side, i knew my lab would be so well looked after and a good life for a lab. I was so upset letting him go but it was good for him too

Poor Jane & Tony !! you have been through the mill !!

BUT! there are more like you than you think !!

Poor 40 somethings...whos had some bad luck...

I reckon you have to do it, beacause if you dont you will spend the rest of your life wondering what if we had done !!

At least you WILL get some nice free sunshine.

Guest Drumms

Hey there,

We came over end of last year (from Oakham) we took some loss but have not looked back. As my new tattoo (took me till my 40's to get it) say's;

'One Life'

Kerry_tattoo.jpg

You regret the things you didn't do rather than the ones you did. Take a different outlook on the house £££ - is it a real loss or just not as much profit as a slimy estate agent told you you'd get?

You may love it here or you may thing its the worst thing you ever did. Either way you'll be much richer for the experience. Just how dull can it be to be one of those people who live in the same street/ village / town as they grew up in.

Don't underestimate the move. It is major and things are hard / frustrating for a few months but the tattoo on the picture above says it all.

Guest m.jephcott

I think you have to do it, or you will always regret it. We came over 6 1/2 years ago, on an exchange rate of 2.4, we didn't stay long and went back to the UK for 5 years and always regretted it. We made the move back last September, we have more money in the UK but it is hardly worth anymore here.

Don't regret not coming, at least give it ago, as my dad always says "you can always make more money" (well we hope he is right). You can always go back to the UK if you don't like it, but you may not have the chance to come back to Australia.

Guest Squareman

I'm a typical 'dog-person'. I really miss my two mutts back in South Africa, but I also believe that you can't make life decisions around them. I assure you that if you found them good homes and their basic needs were met, they won't even miss you. Sounds harsh, but its true. Dogs aren't capable of human emotions. Their relationships are built on need and stimulus and as as humans often misinterpret these for something more 'human'

There have been many documented cases around the world of a dog-owner dying (usually an old person) and the dog actually starting to eat the individual. It's 'dog eat dog' out there, as they say!

Guest Jane & Tony

There have been many documented cases around the world of a dog-owner dying (usually an old person) and the dog actually starting to eat the individual. It's 'dog eat dog' out there, as they say!

EEEEEE That's a nice thought. What about the dogs that pine away when their owners leave them?

Guest Jane & Tony

Thanks to every-one for your kind words of support. I think we are getting tha last minute 'jitters'!

We'll be ok. Gotta try it and see.

Wow! Oakham! Bet you miss that old place eh? I used to work at RPC (lovely) xxxxxxx

Hope to meet you all in November at the monhly 'meet'

Lots of love xxxx

Guest katsmajic

I was in the same situation, rehomed one dog, and hes soooo happy and spoilt, we get updates via my sil. my other dog had to be PTS, she was blind and the vet said it would be cruel to subject her to the move or rehoming. was utterly heartbreaking.

moving over here - its a rollercoaster, but worth the ride xxx

Guest gymnast11

well, id rather be skint in the sun than work till im 70 in england, go for it i am, no jobs, house on market, mum in hospital very ill, dad stressing, three kids, flights booked, meet and greet booked, no house on the other side, heyyyyyy always someone worse off than yourself and life is too such tc and good luck with what ever decision you make x michelle x