Arrived 4 years ago today!!

likesshopping

Hi all - Arrived here 4 years ago today with husband Chris, and our daughters, then aged 7 & 10. The weather was same as today - about 22 degrees, sunshining, blue skies.

Thought I would share some of our experiences and our story with you.

I had always wanted to live in Australia after travelling around it in my 20s...but had to persuade by OH. Once that was accomplished, we started our visa process by meeting up with a migration agent ASA Consultants in May 06...it was decided that we could apply for a state sponsorship temporary visa. After we completed the first part of getting OH job recognised, we put our house on the market (July 06)...We sold it and moved out and into a small rented apartment in Jan 07.

I remember, alot of people thinking we were mad selling our house and belongings before we even got our visa - but I just wanted to get to OZ as quickly as we could and didnt want a house sale to slow us down - (looking back, we were so lucky and sold at the very best time and got our full asking price before the market began to fall). Also, whats the worse that could happen?....if we didnt get the visa - we could just buy another house.

:wubclub:

Ha! I suppose we are risk takers - as on Feb 8th 07 we booked our flights to Adelaide via Singapore on 15th Aug 07 - yes, even before our visa..... I cant remember why we did this now, but there must have been some significance....anyway, after a few months of stress accquiring medicals (wont go into ) and Bonds (yes, had to pay $100k bond!) we finally got our visa in April 7 YAY!!

On May 15th 07 - we then put an offer in for a house in Seaford Rise, Adelaide - yes, we decided to buy a house before we arrived!. There were a couple of reasons for this - 1, We had cash from our house sale just sitting in the bank, and we figured it would be much better sitting getting back on the housing ladder. and 2, it would eliminate us having to worry about looking for long term rentals then ( there were quite alot of us migrating at that time and competing for rentals was very high)

I asked the 'then administrator' from PIA to pop over and have alook at the house and street for me - which, she very kindly did, and even emailed me photos. It all looked good - so we went ahead with the sale.

How did I choose the area? - Ok, Id only ever been to Adelaide for one day and that was in 1992 - so didnt have a clue. The way I did it - right or wronly, was - I used Realestate.com.au and entered my budget, and number of bedrooms and then basically looked at the houses that I liked first, then researched the area(although, had to be near the coast and max hour away from city). It just so happened, that the house we liked was in Seaford Rise, which is a lovely family area next to the coast.

We sold all our furniture (it was nt up to much) and just sent over 20 boxes of personal belongings. Our last 8 weeks in UK were hell! Everything that could be chucked at us - was chucked! We'd booked a leaving party, which had to be cancelled as Evesham was completley flooded - we watched in amazement neighbours being air-lifted from homes, caravans being swept away along the river and being smashed into the Bridge. Our contracts for our new house in OZ had been lost, and we had moved out of our home to my parents - who live in Gloucester - which the floods had now made the water undrinkable - so, no baths, showers and we were getting bottled water delivered from the army!

Then 2 days before we were due to leave, my daughter was rushed into hospital - and it was still pouring down with rain!!!!this is AUGUST.

The goodbyes were sad, - but I just couldnt wait to get on that plane for our new life in Australia to begin.

WOW, the last 4 years have been busy and fantastic! We loved our house that we bought - we put a pool in and spruced it up a bit . After living there for 2 years, we decided that the beach was calling us to move closer.....so we sold our home and bought 2 blocks of land in Moana. We built 2 beachy homes with Rivergums Homes (who I can totally recommend). We built ours first, and moved into it Oct '10 and then we built a second home for a short term rental - Which was finished in April this year www.coastandvinesrentals.com.au - both are minutes to the beach and, we now have fab sea and beach views and can have the doors open and listen to the waves crashing in.

Ive found my bit of paradise! hey, there have definitely been some downs - but I really dont like to dwell on those and just keep thinking of all good moments . We are spending alot of family quality time together - alot...My girls are 11 & 14 and we have spent the afternoon today down the beach, then walked back and sat on our balcony together, just chatting and giggling - even watched flock of pelicans fly over....love days like these!

We have some lovely lovely friends, most are english - but we do have a few Aussie ones too. We've done lots of camping since arriving (something we didnt do in the UK) and have been to lots of outdoor concerts witht he kids and friends - I just love those!

I love Adelaide, I love the fact that you can be just you - no need to put on airs & graces - everyone treats you for who you are, NOT what you have! I love the climate here - I look forward to the different seasons - even though winter can be cold here - its nothing into comparison to UK winter....but, the houses do feel colder here - but its a good opportunity to get all rugged up and cosy with bed socks and hot chocolate - its also a good time to do any odd jobs around the house - as when the summer comes - theres little time to fit everything in with all the social events - bbqs and lazy days down the beach!

I also love the birds - I was and still am totally wowed by seeing colourful birds flying around and love all the sound they make. Driving my kids to school to Mclaren Vale, I usually see 3 or 4 pelicans flying above - how awesome!

I still have to pinch myself that I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA!.... We love it here and I wouldnt want to live anywhere else. This is home.

:rolleyes:

Sarahx

Guest Kat+Rocco

Such a lovely post Sarah.....that is my idea of paradise sitting listening to the waves, makes me feel reassured that we are doing the right thing making such a HUGE move to the other side of the world!!.......just wish we were there now, we can't wait and pray that our house sells tomorrow lol:rolleyes:

Guest gymnast11

thats so nice to hear, as you know some people have negative fews on here and tend to not tell you the nice things, i cant wait to arrive im sick of seeing kids with huddies and there always seems an air of tension with people, thanks a bunch x michelle x

Such a lovely post Sarah.....that is my idea of paradise sitting listening to the waves, makes me feel reassured that we are doing the right thing making such a HUGE move to the other side of the world!!.......just wish we were there now, we can't wait and pray that our house sells tomorrow lol:rolleyes:

Wow Sarah, I remember all that so clearly!!! I remember our Midlands meetings before we all came over, some of us (specifically me and Jen Dolphin) trying to keep the kids quiet at the meet ups and my absolute amazement when you and Chris bought the house in Seaford Rise before you even got here! I think what knocked me out the most was the fabric samples you produced for each room having only seen photos of the house!!! Congrats on your four years, guess it's time we all became citizens eh? xxx

What a lovely story, it's so nice to hear a positive and happy attitude towards life. We are in the process of sorting out our visa, can't wait to get there. Your house looks lovely too, can't believe you took all those risks but really worked out for you :smile:

Guest wyles family

What a lovely post, its so nice to hear a nice story and glad you took the time to share is with us all...

We are the wyles family, marc and rachel age 38, regan and renele 12 and 8, got our visa granted after 3 years, and we are just waiting to book flights to come over to adelaide and start our live in the sunshine hopefully in oct 2011!!! Cant wait,will be living with friends then looking to rent or buy whatever comes up first, and hopefully near the beach. We are not sure of areas yet, spent a month in adelaide last year and quite like henley, glenelg and brighton, our friends live in beaumont, but its too far to the beach for us!! Other halfs family dont talk about the move, they try and put australia down, even though they havent been there!!!! Alot of people get envious of the move, but they probably wish they would have done it!!! We have to think of our lives and get the best we can out of life, and australia is a lovely bit of paradise thats worth trying!!

Wow Sarah, I remember all that so clearly!!! I remember our Midlands meetings before we all came over, some of us (specifically me and Jen Dolphin) trying to keep the kids quiet at the meet ups and my absolute amazement when you and Chris bought the house in Seaford Rise before you even got here! I think what knocked me out the most was the fabric samples you produced for each room having only seen photos of the house!!! Congrats on your four years, guess it's time we all became citizens eh? xxx

Hi Liz - that meet seems like a lifetime ago!! So much has happened to both of us since then!!! And yes, we are writing our forms for the citizenship this week - more paperwork - and money!

Sarahxx