Ping Pom

ails

Hi All

Ok, it's been a long time since I posted on here, but I am interested in hearing from people who went home and then returned to Adelaide - which is what I am thinking of doing, or people who have been there for approx a year. I know the exchange rate is terrible and house prices in the Uk are too, but even with these factors, is it still better over there?

My situation is slightly different from most ping poms because I went to Adelaide intending to stay for a year because I thought the work situation would be quite difficult - it turned out to be the opposite and I had loads of relief teaching and was offered long term contracts ... the problem was I left the uk intending to come back, so I didn't tie up the loose ends etc or ship all my stuff. I didn't come home because I didn't like it. Now i'm thinking shall I go back? It's only me, no partner or kids, but I'ive got a perm visa... seems a shame to waste it!

what do you think??

What do you prefer? If you were happy in Adelaide, had settled in well, were enjoying yourself then fair enough head back if its what you want.

Are you unhappy in the UK since you returned? Job situation not good? If you feel you have a better chance of a quality of life you will enjoy over in Aus then head back.

If you are happy in the UK, settled, have a good job, not missing Aus, why rock the boat.

Personally, if you are asking questions you really need to look at why and see if you can or want to improve it for you here or if you would rather head back there and start over. You may find this time round jobs are not being thrown at you, or there are less of them.

However, if I were younger and single and had the visa, I'd grab the opportunity to go back overseas to live and work in a heartbeat. Even if you only stay a few years or 10, you will get the chance to experience life elsewhere and all it entails. A worthwhile adventure in my book. It doesn't have to be forever, but you may settle so well you won't ever live in the UK again.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi All

... is it still better over there? .

I hate to be a pain, but I don't think there is an answer to that question - only is it better for you over there - and only you can answer that really (or perhaps your close family/friends that know what you have/how happy (or not) you are here and there).

The reasons people generally come back to the UK are friends and family/lack of funds or job or a big personal tragedy (back to friends and family a lot of the time there then), of course along with just not liking it there. But then that's just some of the reasons for other people - some people come back because they can't get the right flavour crisps - personally I think they are incredibly sad individuals, but then their lives are not my life and therefore its not really for me to say. Equally, even if I miss family terribly we won't be coming back - the UK seriously has nothing for us anymore it really really doesn't (this is a very personal thing, due to a HUGE list of things and situations and history for us etc etc).

I would say, if you are asking the question you are wondering whats over there and life imho is all about the journey - the world is a lot smaller nowadays and especially if you don't have a family etc then why not Ping Pong all you want?

On a selfish note - can I ask what age/subject you taught please? Its nice to hear for a change there was lots of work for a teacher out there lol :D

Guest loopylisa

Im sorry ive read your post like ten times and I cant figure if you're in the UK asking if you should go back to Adelaide or in Adelaide asking if you should go back to the UK? I'm guessing from your location that you're in the UK atm.

My situation is somewhat different but I for family reasons returned with my family to the UK aged 15 and I am going back and its nearly 12 years since Ive lived in Adelaide on a permanent basis. Part of me wishes I'd never left as it was so hard to settle at that age. I hated the UK winters and cried the first one as I was too young to remember them very well as we moved to oz when I was 6. Although when I was growing up I missed my extended family and thought I was missing out at xmas. Anyway the point is for me, that I personally dont think there is an outright 'better', or at least its a very subjective one which you cant put a label on. For me there is just 'different' and you just have to go with what feels right. Dont feel you 'should' go back in order to not waste a VISA. This is your life and your happiness

We returned to the UK last year after spending a year in Melbourne. We were back in the UK for just over a year before returning to Aus, though this time to Adelaide. We spent much of the time back in the UK trying to convince ourselves that the UK was better than Aus, though eventually succumbed. The UK has plenty to offer, great countryside, locality to Europe, etc. Weather certainly isn't everything, but last winter in the UK was bloody awful and the fact our kids can get out and play in the garden in the middle of winter here without needing to be wrapped up to their eyeballs and coming in covered in mud is great. The education here in Adelaide is fantastic. Where our kids are at the moment we just wouldn't get in the UK without paying or living in an expensive area.

Friends and family was another aspect that convinced us to return to the UK, though in the year we were back we made an effort but no one else did. The kids grandparents looked after the them once while we were back!

It is totally a matter of opinion. What one person sees as a fault in the UK another sees as a challenge as another sees as an opportunity.

I've not felt so at home since i left London in 2006 to move tup north. We love here, the lifestyle doesn't suit everyone but it certainly suits us. People seem so friendly and accommodating.

Guest Guest5035
Im sorry ive read your post like ten times and I cant figure if you're in the UK asking if you should go back to Adelaide or in Adelaide asking if you should go back to the UK? I'm guessing from your location that you're in the UK atm.

loopy i thought you were a physcho:nah:

stevo

Why not?!

If you had a good time the first time and have no one except yourself to consider, why not come back and enjoy?

You could always get things boxed and ready to go but leave them in the UK for now then come over and see how it goes before shipping over to Oz.

Hopefully the contacts you made when you were last here will be able to help this time and you should know your way round the system - and Adelaide!

Look, you have PR and can come and go as you please...so follow those urges and spread your wings while you can :smile:

Life is for living and you can always go back again..then come back...go again etc! Why not? Enjoy :)

LC

Disclaimer: I might be a tad irresponsible but I do believe the world is too small to over think this.:wubclub:

Thanks all for the replies .... The reason for the post was to perhaps hear about other people's experiences .... I've had a whole year back in the UK and can look at it objectively I think .... the dark dull days depress me and it is still supposed to be summer .... As Lazy Cow said, I've got my contacts for work in Adelaide and the friends I made first time round .. not as big a risk or as much to fear as the first time...

Adelaide Bound ... I did relief teaching - primary R to 7 and had as much work as i could cope with in two schools .. i worked really hard to cultivate relationships at the schools and it paid off ... don't be put off, it reallly is all about takling to people in the office and the staffroom - at least it was for me!

thanks again ..

Guest jorose
Thanks all for the replies .... The reason for the post was to perhaps hear about other people's experiences .... I've had a whole year back in the UK and can look at it objectively I think .... the dark dull days depress me and it is still supposed to be summer .... As Lazy Cow said, I've got my contacts for work in Adelaide and the friends I made first time round .. not as big a risk or as much to fear as the first time...

Adelaide Bound ... I did relief teaching - primary R to 7 and had as much work as i could cope with in two schools .. i worked really hard to cultivate relationships at the schools and it paid off ... don't be put off, it reallly is all about takling to people in the office and the staffroom - at least it was for me!

thanks again ..

And of course you know that the coffee is just lush here. Get yer arse back here pronto :-)

Guest Adelaide_bound

thanks again ..

Wicked, many thanks for that, really wonderful to hear - hope you finally choose the right choice for you :D

Guest Guest8609

I know what emmigration means and I will tell you from both research and experience: one year is not enough to settle. It's at least two years.

Those who love it after a month, six or even a year will probably still have doubts every now and then. But after two years you should simply KNOW what's best for you.

I'm not surprised other visa applicants are not happy queuing for years for their visas and seing dozens of threads by Poms who give up Australia after 6 months (usually for same reasons: to hot, no pubs, family&friends too far - was it difficult to predict?)and then find out that actually UK is not paradise. It's obvious - if you miss your country, you tend to idealise. And emmigration is a serious decision. No matter what, your native country is always in your heart, it's only making your current life happy or miserable in the new place.

What I want to say is - guys, have patience and try (really try! with positive attitude!) to live those two years so that you have enough knowledge and feel of Australia to decide on your own, without asking the others.

Guest Jane & Tony

After getting our visa 3 years ago and watching our two houses fall in value of over 60 grand and STILL wanting to come to Aus, I cannot even comprehend WHY some-one with the opportunity to live in the beautiful city of Adelaide would want to come back to the UK.

It's mid summer and it's bl**dy FREEZING! We have had our log burner roaring all day. There is nowhere to go unless we want to spend a fortune, the people are miserable (I've lived in the same town virtually all of my life and I made more 'mates' and chatted to more friendly people in Adelaide in three weeks than I have in 45 years in the UK).

My OH and myself have worked since we left school and have lost 4 jobs between us in the last 3 years. The absolute humiliation of trying to claim benefit for the first time was horrendous!!!!!!! The first time in 20 years we asked for help from our bank and were told to go bankrupt!!!!!!!!!!

'BRING ON AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP' Is what I say and my advice if your thinking of coming back to this hole of a UK is STAY IN OZZ!!!

I Thank You xx

Guest Adelaide_bound
After getting our visa 3 years ago and watching our two houses fall in value of over 60 grand and STILL wanting to come to Aus, I cannot even comprehend WHY some-one with the opportunity to live in the beautiful city of Adelaide would want to come back to the UK.

It's mid summer and it's bl**dy FREEZING! We have had our log burner roaring all day. There is nowhere to go unless we want to spend a fortune, the people are miserable (I've lived in the same town virtually all of my life and I made more 'mates' and chatted to more friendly people in Adelaide in three weeks than I have in 45 years in the UK).

My OH and myself have worked since we left school and have lost 4 jobs between us in the last 3 years. The absolute humiliation of trying to claim benefit for the first time was horrendous!!!!!!! The first time in 20 years we asked for help from our bank and were told to go bankrupt!!!!!!!!!!

'BRING ON AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP' Is what I say and my advice if your thinking of coming back to this hole of a UK is STAY IN OZZ!!!

I Thank You xx

Soooo - what you're saying is - you think the UK could be better? :unsure:

:biglaugh:

Grange jetty coffee is good but the cups are pretty small (there's no small, medium or large) - the views are lovely though. Was very impressed with the coffee at Sportivo Cafe at West Lakes (not in the mall but overlooking the lake). They bring you a glass of cold water with your coffee. I thought that was really good.