The South East is Ace

Guest Damien

Well I'm sure you've all been waiting for my update on life in the Limestone Coast....

When I got the position here I looked at the climate and thought bugger, how do I sell this to Lisa. Today was the 2nd day of spring, I was on the coast doing info sessions with the pro cray fishermen. It was a sunny 21C, the southern ocean was flat, sea was the brightest blue I've ever seen and the numerous reefs here looked amazing. Last week I showed Lisa some bays where it's so calm as they are protected by the reefs, you can snorkel in flat calm seas whatever the weather and easily get your limit of abalone and rocklobster. You can catch 40cm+ kgw and snapper from the beaches too. It's hard to be happy here;) Honestly, the coastline here is amazing. It's good in Adelaide but nothing like as awesome as down here. Just ask the penguins, dolphins, mako shark, whales, seals, killer whales, blue whales etc.

We are looking at buying a house soon. We've decided on Nelson, ok it's in Victoria (bloody Mexicans) but the houses we've looked at have a few acres, in a native forest with loads of wildlife, 100m from the Glenelg River and on the coast too, I could push my boat to the ramp so everything is rosy! A 3 bed is about $350k with all that land! We drove around there last week, there were roos lazing around in front gardens, rosellas everywhere and the river is amazing.

Workwise the season starts 1st Oct and it's gonna be manic. We are getting up to 20 or so nautical miles offshore on the boat which is fun, especially when boarding boats knowing that the sea is a few hundred m deep below me! Not to mention the quad biking in Canunda NP and off roading every day. Driving on the beaches is good fun, especially when we cross the creeks.

So, all is unbelievable here, if you get the cjance you should pay the area a visit - it's awesome!

Damo

Yeah it's pretty good here. It's a little cooler than Adelaide, more like Melbourne's climate but the pace of life is what we originally came to Oz for. Also the Coonawarra wine region is just up the road, their wines are amazing. And there's only a few poms here - always a bonus lol!

If you don't know the area just google the Blue Lake, it's our water source and is the most amzing sight you'll ever see, a bright blue lake in a volcano crater! The blue looks like the water's been dyed but in winter turns grey.

I remember growing up in 'country' UK, when driving people would wave at you, well it's like that here now. When I first got here my mates were like 'why didn't you wave back?', I just didn't notice them but do wave now.

It's only 5 hours to Adelaide or Melbourne, the weather's better here in the summer and everyone whohas made the move here from the city say it's the best move they've ever made. I think that's coz it's not as hot, when Adelaide gets the 40C+ it's a chilly 37 here!