Mozzies!!

Guest Jane & Tony

Guest Jane & Tony

Not sure which category this belongs in.

MOZZIES>

Thoughts and experiences please.

This is the one thing I'm worried about. (or few billion things!).

When we were in Oz last time, I was 'gotten at' a few times (think there was one in our motel room) and the bites came up in big painful blisters!

Is there a good repellant or a good cure when you have been bitten?

I must say that this probably seems trivial to some, after all we should have more to worry about than Mozzies but it is really bothering me.

If you PIA's can help, then thanks xx

Guest Janine3979

Hi,

There are loads of repellents but being a Pom I kept forgetting to put it on. I used to come up with massive blisters when we first got here and always have done on holidays, but I think my body has kind of got used to it now and they only come up in a little bump that doesn't bother me. I don't know if this is a common thing but worth looking into. If this is common and you remember to put the repellent on I don't think it will be much of a problem.

I understand why your worried though I had a few corkers when we first got here!!

Guest loopylisa

I've got to say I suffered bad as a child. I used everything OTC and I still got stung. I ended up having to take antihestimines because they would swell to the size of tennis balls and turn purple. I often had to be excused from class because they made me feel so unwell. Tried citronella oil. Nothing worked. I never got used to it in ten years. I am an extreme case though. None of my family suffered in this way nor did some of my english and scottish childhood friends. High DEET or citronella work for most people!

Not sure which category this belongs in.

MOZZIES>

Thoughts and experiences please.

This is the one thing I'm worried about. (or few billion things!).

When we were in Oz last time, I was 'gotten at' a few times (think there was one in our motel room) and the bites came up in big painful blisters!

Is there a good repellant or a good cure when you have been bitten?

I must say that this probably seems trivial to some, after all we should have more to worry about than Mozzies but it is really bothering me.

If you PIA's can help, then thanks xx

It's good to carry a non aerosol spray as they can get right up your nose when it's hot. It's worth having some in the cars and beach bags etc.

One thing you can do is just wash any bites and do not scratch them. I seem to find the bites less painful now.

Cooler

Apparently if you eat lots of marmite or vegemite, you don't smell as nice to the mozzies... Personally I hate both so would rather get bitten!! Another thing I've heard is mixing up a weak solution of listerine in a spray bottle and spraying around patios/outside areas keeps them away. And the obvious thing is not to have places around where they breed, such as free-standing still water etc.

Apparently if you eat lots of marmite or vegemite, you don't smell as nice to the mozzies... Personally I hate both so would rather get bitten!! Another thing I've heard is mixing up a weak solution of listerine in a spray bottle and spraying around patios/outside areas keeps them away. And the obvious thing is not to have places around where they breed, such as free-standing still water etc.

Eating bananas can attract them, apparently.

Cooler

Guest Jane & Tony

Hi All

Great advice. I especially like the one that says that you sort of get used to them.

One bit me just above the elbow the night before we came back to the UK and it REALLY swelled up and hurt like hell. Got some cream at Kuala Lumpur airport that smelled like germolene but it did not help. Spent most of the flight trying to cool it down and holding my arm over my head. The flight attendants must have thought me mad.

Anyway

cheers for the info xx

Guest loopylisa

I worked at a summer camp in the US once and the nurse there used to make me a special mix of calamine and hydrocortisone and i think an antiseptic concoction. I looked silly covered in white blobs but it did generally help. Not sure if hydrocortisone is available OTC tho...

hi, I arrived in Adelaide last week, got bit by a mozzie on my second week, I am allergic in europe and the same happened here

foot swollen and blister kind of bumps.. anyway tried stingoze (which dries a bit like calamine lotion) I didn't find it helped..anyway went

to a pharmacie in Glenelg.. were when the pharmacist saw my foot asked had I been bitten by a snake or a spider..made me laugh I asked would I still be alive if a snake or spider had got me, anyway they gave me Loratadine solution which is an antihistimane normally used on kids and a solution because they said it would get int my system quicker.. it worked really well and no drowsiness now after about a week the swelling is down, slight discolouration around the bite but no itchyness or anything else...I have now bought some repellent from a herbal shop. finger crossed it works..Jo-anne :)

Guest lastboyscout
Eating bananas can attract them, apparently.

Cooler

But using the peel from the eaten bananas and rubbing it on the bite stops the itch and swell...... apparently :wink:

I got severely attacked on my lower legs the other night whilst round a friends, nothing has worked at the mo, just trying to resist the scratching and being a brave little soldier :biglaugh:

Guest Adelaide_bound

If you're not allergic to them, (ie they don't swell up massive) you can put a cross in them with your finger/thumb nail, I read about it ages ago and decided to try it out in desperation when we were overseas, and it actually worked! Don't know why, just dig your nail into the bumb (not in a 'ow that really hurts' way, but so it leaves a cross afterwards).

Tea tree oil is meant to prevent them as well as the already mentioned citronella if you don't like harsh chemicals, just water down a bit of tea tree with water in a spray bottle. But imho, if they want you, they'll get you whatever you do, you just get a bit more used to it and they used to you from experience (not helpful I know, but light at the end of the tunnel?)

Just a warning, but using repellants with DEET in them, while highly effective in repelling mosquitoes, can have long term health implications. It also eats away at artificial fabrics. It's fine if you're using it for a couple of weeks holiday in the tropics, but shouldn't really be used long term. DEET-free repellants work fine on Adelaidean mosquitoes anyway, provided you remember to apply them.

Antihistamines (hay-fever tablets) can help bring the reaction under control.

make sure all your windows and doors have fly screen without holes. putting citronella candles or those coils that burn around the perimeter of your patio is fine for keeping them away during BBQs. And when you're out and about of an evening (or during the day in the bush) just apply repellant.

Hi, Not sure if it works, but when I was in the UK, the downhill mountainbike riders in Scotland had a great repellant for all the midges they get up there in summer.....Avon skin so soft moisturiser!!!

Sounds a bit soft all those tough guys wearing avon products but they all swore by it. No idea what is in the stuff but might be worth bringing a tube over and trying it on the mozzies.

To be honest, I haven't found mozzies to be a big problem here- only half a dozen bites from various insects in 18 months??? They haven't bothered my wife much either and she is much tastier.:wink:

Jo I feel your pain about the mozzies as I too think based on my reactions to them I too may be allergic.

Thanks loopylisa.. I will be covering myself head to toe in citronella..lol

Guest boesman

WAs wondering if you get those plug-in gadgets that kills them in your room? You get them in South Africa and it works like a bom. You don't smell anything, but the mozzies just drop dead.