in adelaide 16 months now, most stressful time of our lives!!

phil&Sue

hi

we came over in May, 2010. Although I like Adelaide and Australia, it has been the most stressful time of our entire lives. In our experience jobs seem to be mainly casual (researched q a lot and had english friend that moved to Perth 2 yrs prior to us, so she was filling us in too).

Unfortunately, the move seems to have put a massive strain on us, and am not entirely sure how it will all pan out.

I thought living UK was stressful. To cut a long story short, that was nothing compared to how things are right now.

Nice climate and outdoors way of life will be hard to give up, but I do miss proximity of family etc etc,,,

Have met few really nice friends, so have been v lucky...

I do think the tv programmes in the UK, asking for people to move to Oz, make everything look so easy n hassle free, but there is so much pressure, esp. if u r in casual work with a family to support.

We have lost a wonderful relative early on, put lots on our card to cover flights to Uk to visit them, so financially strained as well as emotionally.

Hopefully most peoples stories are a bit more positive!!!

I also gave up a fantastic and perm. job in UK. I knew grass wouldn't necessarily be any greener!!, it would just be different colour!!! I was 45% in favour of move, hubby 55%.

Pls pls guys think as carefully as u can. We thought we had. and enjoy experiences!!!

Cheers,

Guest cornish Busdriver

I fully apreshiate how much stress it can put on people and familys, it can either make them stronger or tear them apart.

No-one said is was gonna be easy moving here and i dont think some people realise that its not all fun and games living in the sun and a lot of things are hard and require lots of work.

Great honest post and i take my hat off to ya.

Guest Nicky&Andy

its definatly not easy , espically when one of you is struggling more than the other,after 22 yrs being married, it will either make us stonger or break us, only time will tell

Yes,very true.It is not easy,but if you never try to make a better life for yourself then you'll spend the rest of your life thinking'If only'.For some it is easier than for others,and luck plays a big part.For every one who lands on their feet here,there is undoubtedly one who does not,and this is an important factor to take into consideration IMO.I wish you all the very best in the future,hope things get better ,Good Luck.

I have to admit, the move out here was partly responsible for my marriage breaking up, and if I'm honest I wouldn't have come out in hindsight.

Now though, I've no plans on going back and I'm happy with my life here now. Part of that reason though is is just enjoying what Adelaide and Australia has to offer me, maybe I just didn't appreciate what England had to offer enough before I left and thought secretly the grass would be greener here, but of course it isn't, in fact it's just brown. :-)

Guest Sachertorte

Research is really important- and IMHO it depends a lot on how your finances are BEFORE making the move. As you are taking a leap into the unknown, there will be more unforeseen circumstances, MORE expenses.

Please give a lot of consideration that if things are already financially tight, relocating could be putting your livelihood at risk and bring about a lot of stress as a consequence.

Also consider how you could cope if things went really wrong, or if you had to change career entirely.

HTH

Guest shed end col

Spot on Phil and Sue , Been here 3 and a half years and honestly can't see us spending the rest of our lives here. Don't hate it here,but certainly don't love it either!

It isn't easy far

far from it, you basically have to start back form the beginning when you get here i try and be as open with newbs how hard it can be we have come thru some real crap times that could have esily sent us packing but were still here.

Mortgage and all that comes with it, i have just started a new course i am desperately chasing my big dream....

i think alot depends upon which trade, skills you have as to how hard it can be out here i am from engineering/manufacturing and tbh its not much better than back in the UK...job losses, lack of money, robbing peter to pay paul that's my company anyhows.

A very honest post, i praise your honesty....

If there are any chinks in any ones marriage or commitment to the move then i would say dnt do it...it can put so much pressure on the relationship and everyone around you

HG

Guest nic lavidan

Unfortunately for all its good points, Adelaide is not the easiest place to find jobs and that problem affects other areas of your life of course. I have a friend who last year moved to Sydney but he manage to get himself a well-paid job in a niche part of the health sector straight away. Because he has this nail in the ground it appears from his Facebook postings that he has had nothing but the time of his life since arriving, but that has to be attibuted to securing good employment from the outset.

I suppose best thing to do, as generally suggested is to enjoy the good things about being here and think to yourself that situations are only every temporary. Usually moving to another takes a long time to pan out. If you are to eventually enjoy many great years here, it will be worth it in the end. Look into training, find out what employers want and get qualified in something. That would be my suggestion.

Hi,

My Husband and i have moved here only 5 Months ago, my husband grew up here but has lived in London with me for the last 5 years. I didn't really want to move to Australia and certainly didn't feel that the grass would be greener here for me but my Husband did not want to bring up children in the UK and somehow managed to talk me into it. We have an 8 Month old son and we moved here only 3 Months after he was born and i am now a stay at home mum with no friends and family here for support, it has definately so far been the hardest time of my life and i know i have a long haul ahead of me.

It is refreshing to hear there are other people here who don't find it the most amazing place on earth, most of the people i have met here tell me i'm going to love it once it's summer and "why would you want to live in the UK if you can live here?", but i have been here in the summer for visits and no amount of sunshine will take away the lonliness of emmigrating or stop me missing my family and friends.

Anyway, just want to say that it has made me feel better to know that i am not alone.

• 1 month later...

I have posted this posting before on other threads, but thought it was relevant....

When we emigrated my partner had never been to Australia before and he had worked for the same employer for 8 years in an IT role since leaving University but we both totally embraced building a new life here and he absolutely loves it here and is now in a more senior role than in the UK with better pay/perks and greater job satisfaction.

On the other hand we met a couple over here and the husband was a similar age to my partner, he had worked for the Government in IT since leaving school and they lasted 3 months out here, they could not adjust and cope with the change and he went back to his old job in England.

Two people, similar age, similar work history, experience and qualifications,yet two very different experiences.

As recent figures suggest a new life in Australia is not for everyone. In the last financial year 15,555 people emigrated from the UK to Australia, but in the same financial year 7,127 British migrants permanently left Australia.

Guest guest1255

we have been on a massive emotional rollercoaster the past 2yrs...beetween trying to find work ...homesickness...sick relatives....adjusting to life in general.. the bank changing their mind about giving us mortgage 6 weeks before our new built house was complete!!! and sometimes to be honest ....if someone told me i could click my fingers and i would be back to my old life in an instant...i would do it. however people keep telling me it will all be worth it and can take a few yrs ... so im hanging on in there and trying to make the best of it for now xxx

we have been on a massive emotional rollercoaster the past 2yrs...beetween trying to find work ...homesickness...sick relatives....adjusting to life in general.. the bank changing their mind about giving us mortgage 6 weeks before our new built house was complete!!! and sometimes to be honest ....if someone told me i could click my fingers and i would be back to my old life in an instant...i would do it. however people keep telling me it will all be worth it and can take a few yrs ... so im hanging on in there and trying to make the best of it for now xxx

Know how u feel, tess, thanks for your mssge, I am toying with "have we done the right thing, and feel that Jacks extended family may be missing out, (thats what I can't get out of my head:)!!, Jack 2 1/2, although he loves the outdoor life, it certainly is an emotional rollercoaster!!!, tk care xx we have been away for the weekend, and that was great, back to reality now!!

I have just read this thread through and its a great thread. As a family nearly there i have often wondered what are the main reasons it does not work out for people from missing family back home, to not being able to get work or there ocupations work, through to it just not being what they thought it would. Then did they do a recce defore they moved over and what percentage of those that returned did or did not do recces. It would be interesting to do a chart for people that stay and go back and those that struggle and who dont based on jobs, money, missing family, recces, ect. I just dont have a clue how to start it.

Great honest posts though and good luck to all wether staying or going back. At least you have all give it a go.