Leaving UK for SA on Tuesday, sooo excited yet sooo nervous!

Guest libbysmum

Guest libbysmum

Can't believe the day is now so close, it's been along time coming! :jiggy:

We have one get together left on saturday night then its all systems go, taking dog to kennels on sunday ready for her departure on monday and then tying up loose ends on monday and saying final farewells. I'm so excited about our move, yet am getting anxious that all is going to work out how we hope. Been so busy sorting everything for the move it's only now that reality is hitting home! Bring on our adventure!!:biggrin:

Guest libbysmum
Enjoy your get together, its exciting but scary too, where you staying on arrival?

Julie

Thanks Julie, we are staying in Victor Harbor in a nice little 2 bed cottage, only cost us $1000 AUD for 4 weeks. We like the look of victor harbor, mount barker and areas south of Noarlunga, but will have a good look around for the first 2 weeks before deciding where exactly we want to stay. I'm hoping Victor Harbor will be all we've read it to be as this is where we favour at the moment without actually seeing anywhere lol!! I'll bet when we get there we do a complete u-turn and choose somewhere completely different!

Guest libbysmum
HI Sarah,

Enjoy the ride! We recently spent the day in victors harbour and thought it was lovely! Could see ourselves moving there if we were lucky in the future!

Try to get some sleep before your trip!

Gill x

Thanks Gill, will do, can't see us getting much sleep with 2 little ones in tow!

Victor Harbor's nice for a day trip and Goolwa's great too. The Flying Fish at Horshoe Bay is worth a visit (between the two) if you fancy Fish & Chips. The whole of the Fleurieu Peninsular is definately worth exploring - we spent a whole week doing just that staying in a log cabin at Mount Compass in 2010.

Guest moviemummy

All the very best for your journey over. We've been down under for just over 3 weeks now and love it. Weather is a wee bit cooler down in Victor Harbour but will be warming up soon. Beautiful place to start you off.

Keep us posted when you arrive and if we can help, happy to do so.

Good luck

Laura x

Thanks Julie, we are staying in Victor Harbor in a nice little 2 bed cottage, only cost us $1000 AUD for 4 weeks. We like the look of victor harbor, mount barker and areas south of Noarlunga, but will have a good look around for the first 2 weeks before deciding where exactly we want to stay. I'm hoping Victor Harbor will be all we've read it to be as this is where we favour at the moment without actually seeing anywhere lol!! I'll bet when we get there we do a complete u-turn and choose somewhere completely different!

Have a good flight, you will be here before you know it.... wooohooooooooo ;)

Guest markandcate

Hope it all goes well for you! I know how you feel, we fly wednesday and I'm same, excited but nervous!! Not looking forward to the flight tho, especially as my eldest has just broken his collar bone!! Lucky you're not on our flight, can't see my kids been very quiet!!! :wideeyed:

Blimey a good few Worksop people have emigrated to SA in the last few years my husband is from Worksop and we emigrate 2012 our choice he was born in Perth so he can just up and go with his AUZZIE passport but SA for me

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sarah, I can see you are from Cardiff, me too, husband from Bridgend. (Anyone else out there from S. Wales on there way over) .

I was just wondering how you are enjoying Adelaide? We are moving over with our 5 year old daughter end of November, at the moment we are in the stressfull stage of what to ship/ not to ship. We (I) are supposed to be minimilizing which is going well but as I'm doing so I keep getting a row off my husband as kep coming in with shopping !!!! I can't resist, he has banned me from St Davids 2 !! and rest of town. I think the final straw was Friday morning when Argos knocked with a delivery of new bed for our daughter !!! We validated our visas last December, not 100% on an area yet, looking at the coast, Henley, West Lakes Fulham. I was wondering how you are setling in and have found enrolling your children into the schools?? Any tips on last minute purchases I should stock up on before our container comes??

Guest libbysmum

Hi Ras, been a bit of a blur the last 3/4 weeks to be honest, haven't had much time to enjoy it, what with having to find acar, house and shop unit to let, and furnish/kit out both!

We researched a fair bit before coming out and decided we didn't want to be in the suburban sprawl surrounding the city (we are from caerphilly - don't like city life at all, prefer country) and liked the look of victor harbor. We headed there with a holiday rental and loved it! It's gorgeous! Unfortunately there were 3 barbers (my OH being a barber but wanting to open his own business), so had to have a rethink. We have found a shop unit to let 20 mins down the road to let in Goolwa. Pretty town, smaller than victor but no barbers so should be ideal. Have a house rental here too, but after 12 months when money coming in properly will hopefully live back in victor and commute to goolwa. I suppose it depends on work, where it's best to settle, but with my OH being self employed it didn't make a difference to us.

We sold up all our stuff in the uk, came only with suitcases full of clothes! Been hectic getting furniture together, all second hand, but at least it saved the container costs, as I don't think we have spent any more than what we sold our UK stuff for.

Hopefully we are at a stage now where we are going to be able to settle in and enjoy life here. My OH's barber shop opens next tuesday and life should slowly ease back to normal. As for getting my children into school, my eldest is 5 and will start reception in january. To keep commuting costs and schoooling cost minimal will probably put her in goolwa primary, which after asking lots of people have only had good comments about. I could look for a kindy for her time until she starts but not sure if worth it now.

anyway I have rambled a bit, good luck with your journey/adventure, I'm sure you'll love it!

Sarah