Wanted Down Under

Guest Ben

Anyone else sick and tired of this series?

I am fed up with families being given a free holiday, shown around everywhere (Houses, Schools, Prospective Employers, Social etc etc) and then, after only THREE DAYS, they get all sloppy because of some crappy made up video messages full of fake crocodile tears and want to go home!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Phew, that feels better!

Thanks all!

xxxx

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The couple today made me laugh. A guy runs his own resturant and knew that he would have to work for someone else before he left England. His reason for not going was he didn't want to work for someone else.:shocked:

I didn't laugh much. Well at least Wednesday's will be worth looking forward to with PIA's very own TV star at centre stage. ;)

Pete

who is that then?! it would be much more interesting to watch someone i have some (albeit tenuous) link with!

im getting frustrated that noone seems to be going to adelaide- i want to see where im going!!

though i missed the first week i think, was there one then?!

Guest andy&jill
Anyone else sick and tired of this series?

I am fed up with families being given a free holiday, shown around everywhere (Houses, Schools, Prospective Employers, Social etc etc) and then, after only THREE DAYS, they get all sloppy because of some crappy made up video messages full of fake crocodile tears and want to go home!

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Phew, that feels better!

Thanks all!

xxxx

Could'nt agree more ben, did you watch the one today with the three blubby kids, Who makes the decisions in that house!! We are are all going to miss family, But come on gimme a break, the kid starts blubbing about missing her nanny coz "shes an elderly person" Never mind they got a free holiday out of it, and realised oz is 10.000miles away.

:realmad:

Andy

Guest ralph n bev

Has anyone ever thought, just for a moment , that these families are making the best decission for THIER families.

Not Yours. THIERS.

Todays family was the usual "We want more family time" dribble.

The dad found out that hed be working more hours for less money, nothing new in that . Especially in Adelaide!

Most of the families have found that the jobs arnt what there made out to be.

I think the "being able to go to the beach everyday for the afternoon, bieng able to cut down my hours , being mortgage free , and still having enough wages coming in to enjoy the lifestyle you already have in Britain , Dream , soon dissapears once you speak to people out there. When on your reccie, when you see what hours they work , what spare time they have , what they do with it etc. Then compare it to yours.

Thats why a PROPPER reccie is a good thing.

Not a , drag your how ever many kids , under what ever age, around as many theme parks n zoos to make them want the move as much as you , reccie.

We went ,without kids , reccied , realised its not what its cracked up to be, came home , felt the reccie was money well spent.

FOR US

Not any of you just us.

Just like the people on the program are doing. It all depends on what you have now here, and what your expectations are of Adelaide. We thought wed love it too. We ate slept and breathed everything Oz. Went to meetings bought books resurched till blue in the face.

It was going to be the best thing for us all.....

We would have had a healthy £300k to take out with us, we had all our family backing to go, though they would have been sad.

2 out of 3 of the kids really wanted the move .

The reccie was to find where we wanted to live , we would have chosen Stirling lovely place.

What im saying is , dont diss the people who dont want to move to Oz.

Who find that they prefer thier part of Britain, and thier lifestyles here.

Think of it more on the lines , that there will be more chance of your family getting the visa , the more people reccie and dont like it !!

Then you can all go to the fabbytastic beach everyday , and live happyever after but dont forget the rose tinted glasses!!!;)

Guest applebobs

first post so please be gentle . . . . got a dilema . do we sell house here or rent out and keep as safety net . cant afford to go for a taster . wanted down under doesnt shed any light all seem to want english life . thought whole point was to live aussi life

I don't think anyone here is "dissing" those that find it isn't for them, for whatever reason.

Anyone that goes out there to do a proper RECCE and then finds that it isn't for them has no-one to answer to but themselves in my opinion.

My problem is with the families that blatantly don't want to move there in the first place and use the program as a free holiday whilst moaning their way around whatever part of Oz/NZ they are shown, at great expense and time by the locals.

Then, as a final insult, they get all mock homesick, totally forgetting the reason(s) that they want to move their families over there in the first place for.

Distance?

Don't these people know BASIC geography? Or the fact that if they are thinking of moving in the first place, then surely old Auntie Gladys that they haven't seen in twenty years really should NOT suddenly become an issue once there! T-e-l-e-p-h-o-n-e people! W-e-b-c-a-m FFS!!

I admit that in a way I have it lucky. After 19 years in the Royal Navy, the strings to my family (not including wife/kids here obviously) are quite stretchy, albeit NEVER broken. I just can't understand these people and never will, thats all.

first post so please be gentle . . . . got a dilema . do we sell house here or rent out and keep as safety net . cant afford to go for a taster . wanted down under doesnt shed any light all seem to want english life . thought whole point was to live aussi life

Hiya! :)

Advice that I have been given is that if you are going to go, then do it. Do not keep any kind of safety net in the UK as this will only draw you back eventually, after not really trying to settle in the first place. The way the housing market is going anyway, you would (probably) be better selling.

There's plenty on here that will give you better advice than me though, welcome to the site and have a good trawl through the forums. :)

I understand where you are coming from, but have to comment on some of the things you have said...

[quote=ralph n bev;21860]Has anyone ever thought, just for a moment , that these families are making the best decission for THIER families.

Not Yours. THIERS.

Todays family was the usual "We want more family time" dribble.

Why is that dribble?..it's what we want, and others don't know our current circumstances.

The dad found out that hed be working more hours for less money, nothing new in that . Especially in Adelaide

Even the most basic of on~line research would of told them this.

Most of the families have found that the jobs arnt what there made out to be.

Again the on~line research

I think the "being able to go to the beach everyday for the afternoon, bieng able to cut down my hours , being mortgage free , and still having enough wages coming in to enjoy the lifestyle you already have in Britain , Dream , soon dissapears once you speak to people out there. Does ANYBODY actually think like this still?? When on your reccie, when you see what hours they work , what spare time they have , what they do with it etc. Then compare it to yours.

Thats why a PROPPER reccie is a good thing.

Not a , drag your how ever many kids , under what ever age, around as many theme parks n zoos to make them want the move as much as you , reccie.

We went ,without kids , reccied , realised its not what its cracked up to be, came home , felt the reccie was money well spent.

FOR US

Not any of you just us.

Just like the people on the program are doing. It all depends on what you have now here, and what your expectations are of Adelaide. We thought wed love it too. We ate slept and breathed everything Oz. Went to meetings bought books resurched till blue in the face.

It was going to be the best thing for us all.....Agree with you here - it's all about expectations. My wife and I vowed not to look through rose tinted glasses as this is not a spur of the moment thing. I think anyone who is serious about going would have lost the glasses very quickly. We have a great life here (St Albans), a good house, good well paid jobs etc- but i would never let my kids out to play on there own, i would not take them into London or any other city and I have not found a park or play area where we have felt comfortable or safe. My opinion only of course. If we had relocated to Ireland, I still would have researched just as much. This is a decision affecting my family after all.

We would have had a healthy £300k to take out with us, we had all our family backing to go, though they would have been sad.

2 out of 3 of the kids really wanted the move .

The reccie was to find where we wanted to live , we would have chosen Stirling lovely place.

What im saying is , dont diss the people who dont want to move to Oz. I don't think people were dissing them for not going, i think it's more about the way the programme is pitched, the editing etc and as you say, the rose coloured glasses they seem to have. Everyone i have seen posting on this site seems to be fully aware of their expectations and understanding of the realities - if not they ask.

Who find that they prefer thier part of Britain, and thier lifestyles here.

Think of it more on the lines , that there will be more chance of your family getting the visa , the more people reccie and dont like it !!

Then you can all go to the fabbytastic beach everyday , and live happyever after but dont forget the rose tinted glasses!!!;) Thanks, we will

Guest Unch&dougs

For what it's worth in, my opinion, people have a totally unrealistic expectation of moving to Oz.

They want the 5 bedroomed house with pool and underground monorail etc but want it without a mortgage - do they not have a mortgage over their 3 bed semi here?

They want a job that pays the same, or better, than their current job - did they not have to work hard and get to where they are here?

They want a fantastic social life - did they not have to make an effort here?

We are going out with our eyes open. We know we will not be able to afford a house without a mortgage. We know that our qualifications are virtually worthless in Oz. We know we will need to make an effort to meet people and make friends. What we are doing is looking for a new life - not having the same one with a bit more sun.

Somebody once said "If we had to overcome all potential obstacles prior to setting out then no adventurous undertakings would ever take place".

I do not "dis" (is that the word? Is it even a word?) anyone deciding not to go - you do what is best for you. I would just like to see more realistic people featured.

Guest ralph n bev

My problem is with the families that blatantly don't want to move there in the first place and use the program as a free holiday whilst moaning their way around whatever part of Oz/NZ they are shown, at great expense and time by the locals.

Then, as a final insult, they get all mock homesick, totally forgetting the reason(s) that they want to move their families over there in the first place for.

I dont know about this years people , but last years were chosen from people who had applied for a visa , I think. Or was that one of the other many ozzi t.v programs that were on when we were going through the process?

Think about it.

If the trip is only for a week would you travel there and back with whingy jet lagged kids , just for the chance to look at 3 houses and maybe , visit a typical workplace and if your lucky hug a koala or snorkle on a reef ??

:nah:

These people want the move , you can tell, its the way the programs edited , so that which ever place they visited doesnt come out of it too badly in my oppinion. So its down to the people not the place. Does that make sence.

I think probably the Ozzie gov pay for it all, usually its good advertising.

Not as much this year though .

Still people will still only listen to what they want to hear, pull out of the program what they want to think is true etc , its human nature.

Just like its human nature to want whats best for your family.

Adelaide wasnt best for ours. Just like it isnt for a lot on the program.

Theres only you who can decide if its best for you and yours.

Thats what its all about, weve decided to stay put , then in a few years time downsize and move to the lovely North Yorkshire countryside. That way we will still have family close enough to visit on a weekend , be able to holiday abroad a couple of times a year ,cheaply!

Keep the kids in their excellent school , and carryon running our successful ltd building company something that we were unable to do out there.

Everyones different , with totally different circumstances, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things in life.

The couple today made me laugh. A guy runs his own resturant and knew that he would have to work for someone else before he left England. His reason for not going was he didn't want to work for someone else.

I didn't laugh much. Well at least Wednesday's will be worth looking forward to with PIA's very own TV star at centre stage.

Pete

I agree - it does anoy me though that it didnt seem to cross his mind that after a few months of working for someone, there would've been nothing to stop him working for himself again and starting his own business, as was suggested by the chappie in the city option that they didnt go for (this i thought was also a bit odd coz another reason for not wanting to move was that they would have been too far from the city!) They could live there if they wanted! No-one stopping them!!

:realmad:

One other thing that is annoying me with this series is that they do keep insisting on showing houses over their budget (like with the couple in Cairns on Friday). . .

They dont seem at all to mention the build your own option - much much cheaper and (in my opinion) heaps better.

When we went for our recce I have to admit I was quite gutted that the houses for sale that we looked round were more expensive than the one we currently live in here - I was dissapointed about that (although it wouldnt have stopped us wanting to go). But then later the same day - we stopped on the way back to where we were staying, just by chance, noticed a few show houses with an office next door. We spoke to the chap inside the office and were gobsmacked at what we could buy if we had a house built. You can get a decent sized plot of land for under $100k, then the build price for a 4 bedroom house, very spacious, jet bath en suite and 2nd living room etc was $122k, fully fitted with kitchen etc and decorated. This makes such a difference to the price you pay for a house. It seems bizarre that it works out cheaper to have the house built to your own spec and situated where you want it than it is to buy one already built. As the builder said, the only down-side is that you would have to rent for 9mnth to a year while it is built. No probs for us as we would rent initially in any case. Everyone a winner!!

:D

Why dont they let people in on this on the series - it might make the difference to a lot of people........

Guest cornish Busdriver

Totally agree with you Unch&dougs.

I think Wanted down under is giving people the wrong impression of living in Oz and theres no-way anyone could decide to move by just spending one week in one place.

People know before they go how far Australia is away and that they will be leaving family and friends behind and if they cant except that then why bother going on the program in the first place and save us all the watter works.

As Ben said havnt they heard of Telephones, E-mail and Web cams.

People do have a totally unrealistic expectation of moving to Oz.

Life is cheeper when you are on holiday because of the currancy conversion but when you are living there on there wages they find out its not.

People seem to think that all houses have a pool and they dont.

If you are morgage free here then you could be morgage free there as well but realisticly doubtful if you want a bigger house.

We have a morgage here and we know that we will have a morgage there as well with higher payments.

Luckily me and the missus will be in fairly well paid jobs, she's a theater nurse (9yrs) and im a bus driver and already had job offers which we sorted out on our recci last june.

We are not going for a cheeper life coz it aint gonna happen, were going for a more relaxed sunnier lifestyle.

Enough of my rant i think

Completely agree - the lifestyle has to be the main factor, it certainly is for us.

I anticipate that the cost of living is going to be around the same as now (in the UK), some things loads cheaper, but then other things are wildly more expensive. Swings and roundabouts..

You just have to accept that and go with the frame of mind that its a new life and opportunities for the childrens lifestyle that they do not have here.

If people want a holiday then they should go on a holiday.

All this talk about cheaper this and cheaper that is subjective really, as the price you pay in relation to your income is (obviously) all that matters. I fully understand that for a while after the move you may be thinking "HOW MUCH!! For TEA BAGS!!" for example but thats just the cost of living, isn't it?

Like you say, swings and roundabouts. We know we get ripped off over here with just about everything we buy, what makes it so different over there, and why should we honestly think it would be?

Everyone has their own reason for wanting to go, but like CBD says, it ain't gonna be cheaper!

We want to move for a number of different reasons, two of which are our Childrens future and more relaxed lifestyle (no I don't mean working less, just different priorities).

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Ben and Hazle M. :)

I think that we are and many other are going for the right reasons a more relaxed lifestyle,better security and to put our faimly priorities in perpective.

I just feel that to many people are watching wanted down under and getting the wrong impression of Adelaide / Australia as they make it seem all to easy.

I think people need to remember what this thread was originally about before we get into the I'm right and you're not posts. This thread was about the series wanted down under and what people think of the series. What you have to remember is that these people (whether they just wanted a free holiday or are/were serious about moving to Oz) only have a week in one area and are asked to decide based on that week whether they want to go. They have houses shown to them that they have not chosen that quite often is not to their taste, the 'worker' has a job chosen for them. What you don't see is what hey do in the times that they are not filming. I'm sure a serious person would spend this spare time looking at opportunities for themselves but you have to remember also that the programme is edited for the viewing figures.

Everyone on this forum has a different reason why they want to go to Oz and as such there are going to be disagreements. We are going as we have nothing for us here and I work for the NHS and have been told by many nurses in Oz that there is a slight improvement to working conditions there. There are lots of other reasons but I am not going to go into them.

Please don't turn this into a t1t for tat argument and lets get back to discussing the programme like adults.

Sorry but had to say it, :realmad: I'll put my dummy back in now :wubclub: