INTERNET! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! !! !!!

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I'm as confused as a puppy that's just found it's winkle.

How on Earth can I get decent internet speeds/reliabilty in my home? i.e. Good enough to Skype..?

The good people at Direct Connect said they'd hook me up with Telstra (a 'mobile' landline + 3G wifi) for like 68 bucks per month, telling me my house doesn't have a "phone line" (other than the "phone line" I can "see", coming off the "telephone pole" before entering my "house" via a "junction box" with "telephone" written on it).

Anyone in the Seacliff/Brighton/Marino/Kingston area getting something like decent internet? Dare I say it, broadband-esque?

I saw a load of modems and routers in Big W last night, and I was just wondering what in the name of Sweet Jesus H the Ozzies are actually connecting them to???

Too much coffee today. I'll go home soon and neutralise the effects with beer.

Hi Ryan, we're on Adam naked DSL2, which runs down our phone line (which we haven't got). I was told that we wouldn't be able to get this service so I did a bit of investigating on the tinternet and, lo and behold, we could get it!

When they say that you don't have a phone line, they should say that you don't have it connected up to receive phone calls, which isn't necessary with naked DSL.

Go onto Adams website and check to see if it is available in your area.

Hi Ryan, we're on Adam naked DSL2, which runs down our phone line (which we haven't got). I was told that we wouldn't be able to get this service so I did a bit of investigating on the tinternet and, lo and behold, we could get it!

When they say that you don't have a phone line, they should say that you don't have it connected up to receive phone calls, which isn't necessary with naked DSL.

Go onto Adams website and check to see if it is available in your area.

We had Adam naked DSL before we moved house and they were great.

Cooler

Guest Mitchell

I've had Adam over phone line and they are SO helpful even when my line was repeatedly disconnected by mistake. When I decided to ditch the phone line they went out of their way to help. I now have Adam naked with VoIP.

I'm as confused as a puppy that's just found it's winkle.

How on Earth can I get decent internet speeds/reliabilty in my home? i.e. Good enough to Skype..?

The good people at Direct Connect said they'd hook me up with Telstra (a 'mobile' landline + 3G wifi) for like 68 bucks per month, telling me my house doesn't have a "phone line" (other than the "phone line" I can "see", coming off the "telephone pole" before entering my "house" via a "junction box" with "telephone" written on it).

Anyone in the Seacliff/Brighton/Marino/Kingston area getting something like decent internet? Dare I say it, broadband-esque?

I saw a load of modems and routers in Big W last night, and I was just wondering what in the name of Sweet Jesus H the Ozzies are actually connecting them to???

Too much coffee today. I'll go home soon and neutralise the effects with beer.

hi we have just arrived and i'm using a vodaphone dongle in Kingston park, just been on Facebook Skype and worked perfectly so far.

Guest Crushfamily
Yes we are with adam too and compared to telstra its super duper fast! We very rarely have problems with skype and can download music etc no problems. we are in Aldinga.

That's interesting! We arrive Monday and are renting in Aldinga Beach and got the following answer from Adam Internet

Hi Nick,

In regards to your email, You can move while you are in contract. As you said you were moving to Aldinga, I know you won’t be able to get Adsl2+ in Aldinga as the area is a black spot. We do have a technology which is what most Aldinga residents use called Wimax. The only thing is it is quite expensive to relocate. So my suggestion to you would be to use one of our 3G wireless dongles until you move to you move to your permanent house. Then you will be able to look at a different service depending on where you move.

You are welcome to call my direct line and I can explain this to you in more detail or if you would like to sign up for one of our products I can help you out with that as well.

Can anybody shed any light on this please?

Guest Crushfamily
hi we have just arrived and i'm using a vodaphone dongle in Kingston park, just been on Facebook Skype and worked perfectly so far.

Does anybody know how much data Skype uses per min please? As this is critical when using a 3g dongle with a limit?Thanks

Guest Mitchell

A quick google found this:

Roughly 70 Kbs if you are in a call with one person. This means you will get 500kByte per minute

so to be precise:

1 minute call at 70kbps consumes ~ 0,5 MB of bandwitdh

10 min ~ 5 MB

100min ~ 50 MB

Guest Crushfamily

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by churchj1 viewpost-right.png

Yes we are with adam too and compared to telstra its super duper fast! We very rarely have problems with skype and can download music etc no problems. we are in Aldinga.

That's interesting! We arrive Monday and are renting in Aldinga Beach and got the following answer from Adam Internet

Hi Nick,

In regards to your email, You can move while you are in contract. As you said you were moving to Aldinga, I know you won’t be able to get Adsl2+ in Aldinga as the area is a black spot. We do have a technology which is what most Aldinga residents use called Wimax. The only thing is it is quite expensive to relocate. So my suggestion to you would be to use one of our 3G wireless dongles until you move to you move to your permanent house. Then you will be able to look at a different service depending on where you move.

You are welcome to call my direct line and I can explain this to you in more detail or if you would like to sign up for one of our products I can help you out with that as well.

Anyone please?

• 8 months later...

I have Internode and have had them in two locations. Speed is dependent on the state of your phone line and distance from the exchange primarily. Unfortunately some locations in the Adelaide metro area are a nightmare for ADSL of any type and the ISP can't do much about it (and people wonder why the NBN is such a good idea). Anyway Internode is a bit more expensive than most but I have found it a reliable ISP with very good tech help.

http://www.internode.on.net

For a really good source of info try here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Guest tinkham_lee

Hi Nick,

We have adam wimax in Aldinga, It doesn't use a landline, it uses microwaves. There is a tower built in the area you live in. you get an aerial put up on your roof which connects to your modem/router. each house with wimax has a dedicated port at the tower, (when the tower is full they build another, Aldinga has 2 towers now) so it doesn't slow down very much at peak hours, its supposed to be up to 12mbps, I run speed tests regularly and it often exceeds 12mbps. Just now its latency is 61ms jitter 8ms download 21.83mbps and upload 0.8mbps.

we pay $50 a month for 20gb which includes a VOIP phone with $50 included local and national calls. With the VOIP phone calls to uk landlines are 2c per minute and uk mobiles 17c per minute

The downside to wimax is the cost to get it installed, 1 year contract $300, 3year contract $100.

On a side note. they have just started to install the NBN in Aldinga, so within the next year you should be able to get fibre to the home.

Edited by tinkham_lee