Struggling to find home for my cats and leaving in November

Guest Kat+Rocco

Guest Kat+Rocco

Wanting some help/advice from all you lovely poms and soon to be poms lol

I am needing to find a home for my two lovely pussy cats...would love to take them with us but think that it would be better for them to be rehomed here than brought with us to Adelaide plus we are already financially strained so couldn't afford to anyway:sad:

What have others done we've already exhausted friends and family and I've spoken to cats protection who can't help and I'm really starting to panic......plus every time I look at them I feel so upset....they have no idea what's happening and they are both such loving cats

:sad:

Guest Guest6899
Wanting some help/advice from all you lovely poms and soon to be poms lol

I am needing to find a home for my two lovely pussy cats...would love to take them with us but think that it would be better for them to be rehomed here than brought with us to Adelaide plus we are already financially strained so couldn't afford to anyway:sad:

What have others done we've already exhausted friends and family and I've spoken to cats protection who can't help and I'm really starting to panic......plus every time I look at them I feel so upset....they have no idea what's happening and they are both such loving cats

:sad:

Hi Kat+Rocco, i really feel for you, i took my beloved Elmo (Norwegian forest cat) to a friends house today as she said would have him for a trial run. It was all going reasonably well, he didnt come from behind the settee but did have a fuss and then her cat Rory arrived!! Elmo went to say hello (after we dragged him from behind the sofa) to be greeted by a hissing, meawing quite angry other cat. Poor Elmo just ran he is not a nasty cat at all, very placid and lovely natured. I knew it may not go well but hoped both cats would get on. We move out of our home in 2 weeks, leave in less than 4 weeks and im really unsure if he will settle. As you, i would love to take him but dont feel he would travel good, he cried all the way there today and nearly hyper ventelated when we arrived iv never seen him so stressed so the long travelling to Oz would not suit. The kids have been in tears all day and iv found the whole thing stressfull and he is back home now.

So sorry, i dont have the answer to your problems but wanted to know your not alone.

Lisa

Guest Adelaide_bound

We were going to take ours back to the RSPCA, but a friend has said she will have them - will just see if they get on with her cat first (I doubt it unfortunately, they are both really really spoilt!) and if that doesn't work, we will have to take them back to the RSPCA - I feel wretched doing it, but they wouldn't last 5 mins in SA and also HATE the heat, so very much in their best interests (lots and lots of reasons, not just these).

Unfortunately, if you can't find someone, the pet re-homing places are your only chance - we have a couple of local groups that rehome cats that don't have premises, so if you have anything similar, if you let them know asap and they can start 'marketing' them (ie put their details on their website), and that might help as well as the traditional cats home type place. If you google your town + 'cat group' and see if there is anything local, or alternatively search as if you wanted to adopt a cat, and that should lead you down the right path hopefully.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but that's what we are going to do.

Sorry to hear you are struggling. The sad fact in the UK at the moment is that there are far more cats and kittens being dumped/handed in/bred than rescues can take in and rehome.

I suggest contacting every rescue within a 50 mile radius (and perhaps further afield if need be, cover the entire county and beyond if need be) and going on their wait lists or seeing if they can take them *now*. If you say you are emigrating and cannot take them with you, they may be able to squeeze them in or bump them up the wait list. It will help in your favour if they are vaccinated (with certificate to prove this), neutered and microchipped as these things are what costs rescues and often they don't recover their costs for this in an adoption fee with cats.

Don't just try one or two rescues, try 30. And more if need be. Don't rely on family or friends either as often promises can be broken and the last thing you want is to be let down a few weeks before leaving.

Work your way down this list for starters

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/staffs.html

And really, if a rescue says they can take them in now, be prepared to say goodbye to them this weekend. Don't pass up on a place for them because you want to keep them nearer the time you move. You'll lose the places and possibly won't be able to rehome your cats.

Also ensure they will keep them together and they have a no PTS policy (most places do but some don't).

Good luck.

Guest Kat+Rocco
Hi Kat+Rocco, i really feel for you, i took my beloved Elmo (Norwegian forest cat) to a friends house today as she said would have him for a trial run. It was all going reasonably well, he didnt come from behind the settee but did have a fuss and then her cat Rory arrived!! Elmo went to say hello (after we dragged him from behind the sofa) to be greeted by a hissing, meawing quite angry other cat. Poor Elmo just ran he is not a nasty cat at all, very placid and lovely natured. I knew it may not go well but hoped both cats would get on. We move out of our home in 2 weeks, leave in less than 4 weeks and im really unsure if he will settle. As you, i would love to take him but dont feel he would travel good, he cried all the way there today and nearly hyper ventelated when we arrived iv never seen him so stressed so the long travelling to Oz would not suit. The kids have been in tears all day and iv found the whole thing stressfull and he is back home now.

Lisa

What an awful day for you all Lisa, it's sooooo hard I was just sitting with my boy Cat Charlie last night lying on my tummy and I felt so guilty he is such a lovely well natured cat and lovely with my little girl think it's going to break our hearts when we have to leave them :(

I know its a bit of a long shot, but in Market Rasen in Lincolnshire there is the Lincolnshire Trust for Cats who may be able to help. We were unable to bring our two cats with us (we can't have pets in the appartment, and we felt it was cruel to inflict the journey on them). The Trust took them (for a fee) to 'retire' them at their centre, they were deemed too old to rehouse at 12 and 16. Look the Trust up on line and see if they can help you.

Guest wyles family

hello, we had the same problem with our dog, we rehomed him to lab resuce as he is now very happy with a foster family, but it broke our hearts!!

could you put a nice picture of them in the post office window or shop?? is there not a cat re homing charity like there is for dogs? check on internet.... hope you find someone to take them, when do you go? we are going on oct 25th...... omg.... and we have 3 gerbils that need re homing and 2 fish!!! good luck

Have to say something about private rehoming (I volunteer for a number of animal rescues and see no end of sad stories).

Please don't ever rehome through private ads in shops and so on. You never know who is going to walk in and what kind of bull they'll feed you about the home they'll give your pet. Honestly, things like Gumtree, Preloved and private ads encourage all sorts of not very nice activity. You'd be shocked the amount of animals end up as bait for fighting dogs and the like :mad::sad::sad: and the amount that are sold on there only to end up dumped or handed in to the pounds.

I always say if someone really wants to rehome an animal they'll be prepared to go to a rescue that will home check them and give them a decent sum of cash by way of adoption fee. And be prepared for a follow up check and so on. And that there is a policy that if the new home can no longer keep the adopted animal they hand it back to the rescue. Its an extra bit of security for the animal. The microchip stays regged to the charity in many cases so they can always trace the animal back to them if its lost or abandoned.

Honestly, there are plenty of car rescues around, you are bound to find one that will be able to take them. Go on every waiting list out there to increase your chances of placing them if they are currently full. Or see if they can place them in a foster home for you, with a view to going into the rescue when there is a space.